Super T's? Dorados? Stratos?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Steve Sakamoto, Feb 5, 2003.

  1. Hi all - I'm looking for some advice. I'm riding around with 2002 Boxxers, but am getting somewhat
    tired of blowing them on every good ride, so I'm looking to replace them.

    A Super T is high on my list, but have never ridden one personally. I can't think of too many
    problems, but like I said, I've never ridden one. I've ridden the 2003 Monster T2's, but can't get
    used to the 13 pounds of it dragging on the more technical trails...so although weight isn't my
    biggest concern, it is certainly a factor.

    Can anybody offer an opinion on the Super T, the Manitou Dorado, or perhaps something comparable?
    (2002 Monsters, maybe?)

    I ride steep, technical trails, with lots of drops, but want to have the manoeverability to handle
    elevated skinnies. Any advice is much appreciated!

    Thanks, Steve

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Steve Sakamoto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all - I'm looking for some advice. I'm riding around with 2002
    Boxxers,
    > but am getting somewhat tired of blowing them on every good ride, so I'm looking to replace them.
    >
    > A Super T is high on my list, but have never ridden one personally. I
    can't
    > think of too many problems, but like I said, I've never ridden one. I've ridden the 2003 Monster
    > T2's, but can't get used to the 13 pounds of it dragging on the more technical trails...so
    > although weight isn't my
    biggest
    > concern, it is certainly a factor.
    >
    > Can anybody offer an opinion on the Super T, the Manitou Dorado, or
    perhaps
    > something comparable? (2002 Monsters, maybe?)
    >
    > I ride steep, technical trails, with lots of drops, but want to have the manoeverability to handle
    > elevated skinnies. Any advice is much appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks, Steve

    How about a Marzocchi Shiver?

    Mike

  3. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    Steve Sakamoto <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all - I'm looking for some advice. I'm riding around with 2002
    Boxxers,
    > but am getting somewhat tired of blowing them on every good ride, so I'm looking to replace them.

    Steve I've worked on alot of Dorado's preproduction samples and full production samples. The pre
    versions were a little more plush but the full version is more reliable in terms of the compression
    damper internals. You can bleed these yourself at home and all servicing except maybe the bushes
    which will last long-term anyway. The finish of the forks including the integrated stem etc. is
    exceptional the only issue is the lubrication which was oil splash bath on early versions now uses
    grease. Do some basic rebuilds (not including new seals or anything) and the forks will perform
    flawlessly. The hexagonal thru axle design makes this the only inverted fork worth using.

  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "David Bailey" <smack talker> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Steve Sakamoto <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi all - I'm looking for some advice. I'm riding around with 2002
    > Boxxers,
    > > but am getting somewhat tired of blowing them on every good ride, so I'm looking to
    > > replace them.
    >
    > Steve I've worked on alot of Dorado's preproduction samples and full production samples. The pre
    > versions were a little more plush but the full version is more reliable in terms of the
    > compression damper internals. You can bleed these yourself at home and all servicing except maybe
    > the bushes which will last long-term anyway. The finish of the forks including the integrated stem
    > etc. is exceptional the only issue is the lubrication which was oil splash bath on early versions
    > now uses grease. Do some basic rebuilds (not including new seals or anything) and the forks will
    > perform flawlessly. The hexagonal thru axle design makes this the only inverted fork worth using.

    You really should be working for a car dealer.
    --
    Slacker

  5. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    > You really should be working for a car dealer.
    > --
    > Slacker

    Work on Chris Kovariks Dorados then watch him win a national round DH by 6 seconds gives you a fair
    amount of confidence in the product, and yes he would have won on Marzocchis or RS but maybe only by
    4 seconds !!!

  6. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > You really should be working for a car dealer.
    > > --
    > > Slacker
    > >

    > Work on Chris Kovariks Dorados then watch him win a national round DH by 6 seconds gives you a
    > fair amount of confidence in the product, and yes he would have won on Marzocchis or RS but maybe
    > only by 4 seconds !!!

    And you just went from sad to pathetic in 2.3 seconds.
    --
    Slacker

  7. David Bailey wrote:
    >>You really should be working for a car dealer.
    >>--
    >>Slacker
    >>

    > Work on Chris Kovariks Dorados then watch him win a national round DH by 6 seconds gives you a
    > fair amount of confidence in the product, and yes he would have won on Marzocchis or RS but maybe
    > only by 4 seconds !!!

    or maybe by 8.

    Ok, fine, put Chris Kovarik on an identical bike with Shiver DCs, on an identical day, with him in
    identical condition, with the identical course, and identical conditions, etc. etc. , and have him
    ride. Then we'll see.

    Jon Bond

  8. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > David Bailey wrote:
    > >>You really should be working for a car dealer.
    > >>--
    > >>Slacker
    > >>

    > > Work on Chris Kovariks Dorados then watch him win a national round DH by
    6
    > > seconds gives you a fair amount of confidence in the product, and yes he would have won on
    > > Marzocchis or RS but maybe only by 4 seconds !!!
    >
    > or maybe by 8.
    >
    > Ok, fine, put Chris Kovarik on an identical bike with Shiver DCs, on an identical day, with him in
    > identical condition, with the identical course, and identical conditions, etc. etc. , and have him
    > ride. Then we'll see.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Hehehe...not bad for a "Weight weenie XC racer snob" ;^)

    Mike

  9. Michael Dart wrote:
    > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    >>>Work on Chris Kovariks Dorados then watch him win a national round DH by
    >>
    > 6
    >
    >>>seconds gives you a fair amount of confidence in the product, and yes he would have won on
    >>>Marzocchis or RS but maybe only by 4 seconds !!!
    >>
    >>or maybe by 8.
    >>
    >>Ok, fine, put Chris Kovarik on an identical bike with Shiver DCs, on an identical day, with him in
    >>identical condition, with the identical course, and identical conditions, etc. etc. , and have him
    >>ride. Then we'll see.
    >>
    >>Jon Bond
    >>

    > Hehehe...not bad for a "Weight weenie XC racer snob" ;^)
    >
    > Mike

    My friend charlie has gotten to me. Must be the video of him doing 20 foot drops and jumping off
    school roofs and stuff...

    plus, if I had the cash (and the cojones!) to get a sweet DH ride (and armor!), it'd def have some
    DC shivers. I rode charlie's DC's, and man, those things were plush as hell...

    Jon Bond

  10. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Michael Dart wrote:
    > > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > 6

    > >>or maybe by 8.
    > >>
    > >>Ok, fine, put Chris Kovarik on an identical bike with Shiver DCs, on an identical day, with him
    > >>in identical condition, with the identical course, and identical conditions, etc. etc. , and
    > >>have him ride. Then we'll see.
    > >>
    > >>Jon Bond
    > >>

    > > Hehehe...not bad for a "Weight weenie XC racer snob" ;^)
    > >
    > > Mike
    >
    > My friend charlie has gotten to me. Must be the video of him doing 20 foot drops and jumping off
    > school roofs and stuff...
    >
    > plus, if I had the cash (and the cojones!) to get a sweet DH ride (and armor!), it'd def have some
    > DC shivers. I rode charlie's DC's, and man, those things were plush as hell...
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Hehehe.......the transformation has begun!
    --
    Slacker

  11. Slacker wrote:
    > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>Michael Dart wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]...

    >>>6

    >>>Hehehe...not bad for a "Weight weenie XC racer snob" ;^)
    >>>
    >>>Mike
    >>
    >>My friend charlie has gotten to me. Must be the video of him doing 20 foot drops and jumping off
    >>school roofs and stuff...
    >>
    >>plus, if I had the cash (and the cojones!) to get a sweet DH ride (and armor!), it'd def have some
    >>DC shivers. I rode charlie's DC's, and man, those things were plush as hell...
    >>
    >>Jon Bond
    >

    > Hehehe.......the transformation has begun!
    > --
    > Slacker

    I know, I just spent a few hours yesterday learning how to hop in place and in circles (I'm not an
    ambiturner yet tho...)

    I have, however, been wearing spandex, spinning, and I've got a road bike being built up for me....

    Jon Bond will drop bars fit in the Shiver DC integrated stem?

  12. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Steve Sakamoto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip tank bike references>
    > I ride steep, technical trails, with lots of drops, but want to have the manoeverability to handle
    > elevated skinnies.

    Two things, WTF is an elevated skinny and do you intend to ride this bicycle both up and down steep
    technical trails with lots of drops?

    JD

  13. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > >>My friend charlie has gotten to me. Must be the video of him doing 20 foot drops and jumping off
    > >>school roofs and stuff...
    > >>
    > >>plus, if I had the cash (and the cojones!) to get a sweet DH ride (and armor!), it'd def have
    > >>some DC shivers. I rode charlie's DC's, and man, those things were plush as hell...
    > >>
    > >>Jon Bond
    > >

    > > Hehehe.......the transformation has begun!
    > > --
    > > Slacker
    > >

    > I know, I just spent a few hours yesterday learning how to hop in place and in circles (I'm not an
    > ambiturner yet tho...)
    >
    > I have, however, been wearing spandex, spinning, and I've got a road bike being built up
    > for me....
    >
    > Jon Bond will drop bars fit in the Shiver DC integrated stem?

    You little hucker, you......I knew you had it in you, you know!
    --
    Slacker

  14. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > "Steve Sakamoto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > <snip tank bike references>
    > > I ride steep, technical trails, with lots of drops, but want to have the manoeverability to
    > > handle elevated skinnies.
    >
    > Two things, WTF is an elevated skinny and do you intend to ride this bicycle both up and down
    > steep technical trails with lots of drops?
    >
    > JD

    Summink like this:

    http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=55525

    Mike

  15. "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Steve Sakamoto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > <snip tank bike references>
    > > I ride steep, technical trails, with lots of drops, but want to have the manoeverability to
    > > handle elevated skinnies.
    >
    > Two things, WTF is an elevated skinny and do you intend to ride this bicycle both up and down
    > steep technical trails with lots of drops?
    >
    > JD

    Elevated skinnies are just bridges...but narrower than most. Hence, the skinny factor coming into
    play. Oh, and higher than most, too. And as far as climbing goes, I'd like to say that yeah, I'll
    ride up to the top before hucking my meat. Realistically, however, I'll be pushing. ;o)

  16. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    Dorados for DH
    Monster Ts' for North Shore.

    T2s' don't have as many set-up options do they? Just the next step up from the Junior Ts'.

    Boxxers for breaking.

    A few mates have had Shivers and have alot of trouble with the bushings letting fine particles in. Which is a pity coz they're nise and plush.

  17. Shaun Bell

    Shaun Bell Guest

    > > "Steve Sakamoto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > <snip tank bike references>
    > > > I ride steep, technical trails, with lots of drops, but want to have
    the
    > > > manoeverability to handle elevated skinnies.
    > >
    > > Two things, WTF is an elevated skinny and do you intend to ride this bicycle both up and down
    > > steep technical trails with lots of drops?
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > Summink like this:
    >
    > http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=55525

    That's a sidewalk lol. Even this is too wide to be a skinny http://www.pbase.com/image/189154 .
    Better, http://www.pbase.com/image/210067 . Now this is skinny, http://www.pbase.com/image/253223 .

    Shaun Bell

  18. Shaun Bell

    Shaun Bell Guest

    "Steve Sakamoto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all - I'm looking for some advice. I'm riding around with 2002
    Boxxers,
    > but am getting somewhat tired of blowing them on every good ride, so I'm looking to replace them.
    >
    > A Super T is high on my list, but have never ridden one personally. I
    can't
    > think of too many problems, but like I said, I've never ridden one. I've ridden the 2003 Monster
    > T2's, but can't get used to the 13 pounds of it dragging on the more technical trails...so
    > although weight isn't my
    biggest
    > concern, it is certainly a factor.
    >
    > Can anybody offer an opinion on the Super T, the Manitou Dorado, or
    perhaps
    > something comparable? (2002 Monsters, maybe?)
    >
    > I ride steep, technical trails, with lots of drops, but want to have the manoeverability to handle
    > elevated skinnies. Any advice is much appreciated!

    I've been using a Shiver this last year. Plush, low maintenance, heavy and a little flexi. Before
    I was on a XVert Carbon. Good valving, light a little flexi and high maintenance. I could go on
    but I think you already know there isn't any clear winner for freeriding. I'd stick with your
    Boxer. Oh, one more thing....Durado is 3400 Canadian retail....that's so funny I think I cracked
    an old broken rib!

    Shaun Bell

  19. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Shaun Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Steve Sakamoto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi all - I'm looking for some advice. I'm riding around with 2002
    > Boxxers,
    > > but am getting somewhat tired of blowing them on every good ride, so I'm looking to
    > > replace them.
    > >
    > > A Super T is high on my list, but have never ridden one personally. I
    > can't
    > > think of too many problems, but like I said, I've never ridden one. I've ridden the 2003 Monster
    > > T2's, but can't get used to the 13 pounds of it dragging on the more technical trails...so
    > > although weight isn't my
    > biggest
    > > concern, it is certainly a factor.
    > >
    > > Can anybody offer an opinion on the Super T, the Manitou Dorado, or
    > perhaps
    > > something comparable? (2002 Monsters, maybe?)
    > >
    > > I ride steep, technical trails, with lots of drops, but want to have the manoeverability to
    > > handle elevated skinnies. Any advice is much appreciated!
    >

    > I've been using a Shiver this last year. Plush, low maintenance, heavy and a little flexi. Before
    > I was on a XVert Carbon. Good valving, light a little flexi and high maintenance. I could go on
    > but I think you already know there isn't any clear winner for freeriding. I'd stick with your
    > Boxer. Oh, one more thing....Durado is 3400 Canadian retail....that's so funny I think I cracked
    > an old broken rib!
    >
    > Shaun Bell

    Hopefully in the not too distant future we'll have some Ti Shiver springs avail...
    http://www.go-ride.com/prod_susp_renton.html
    --
    Slacker

  20. Sorni