Super T's? Dorados? Stratos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Sakamoto

Hi all - I'm looking for some advice. I'm riding around with 2002 Boxxers, but am getting somewhat
tired of blowing them on every good ride, so I'm looking to replace them.

A Super T is high on my list, but have never ridden one personally. I can't think of too many
problems, but like I said, I've never ridden one. I've ridden the 2003 Monster T2's, but can't get
used to the 13 pounds of it dragging on the more technical trails...so although weight isn't my
biggest concern, it is certainly a factor.

Can anybody offer an opinion on the Super T, the Manitou Dorado, or perhaps something comparable?
(2002 Monsters, maybe?)

I ride steep, technical trails, with lots of drops, but want to have the manoeverability to handle
elevated skinnies. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks, Steve

"Steve Sakamoto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all - I'm looking for some advice. I'm riding around with 2002
Boxxers,
> but am getting somewhat tired of blowing them on every good ride, so I'm looking to replace them.
>
> A Super T is high on my list, but have never ridden one personally. I
can't
> think of too many problems, but like I said, I've never ridden one. I've ridden the 2003 Monster
> T2's, but can't get used to the 13 pounds of it dragging on the more technical trails...so
> although weight isn't my
biggest
> concern, it is certainly a factor.
>
> Can anybody offer an opinion on the Super T, the Manitou Dorado, or
perhaps
> something comparable? (2002 Monsters, maybe?)
>
> I ride steep, technical trails, with lots of drops, but want to have the manoeverability to handle
> elevated skinnies. Any advice is much appreciated!
>
> Thanks, Steve
>
>

How about a Marzocchi Shiver?

Mike

Steve Sakamoto <[email protected]> wrote in message
Boxxers,
> but am getting somewhat tired of blowing them on every good ride, so I'm looking to replace them.

Steve I've worked on alot of Dorado's preproduction samples and full production samples. The pre
versions were a little more plush but the full version is more reliable in terms of the compression
damper internals. You can bleed these yourself at home and all servicing except maybe the bushes
which will last long-term anyway. The finish of the forks including the integrated stem etc. is
exceptional the only issue is the lubrication which was oil splash bath on early versions now uses
grease. Do some basic rebuilds (not including new seals or anything) and the forks will perform
flawlessly. The hexagonal thru axle design makes this the only inverted fork worth using.

"David Bailey" <smack talker> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> Steve Sakamoto <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi all - I'm looking for some advice. I'm riding around with 2002
> Boxxers,
> > but am getting somewhat tired of blowing them on every good ride, so I'm looking to
> > replace them.
>
> Steve I've worked on alot of Dorado's preproduction samples and full production samples. The pre
> versions were a little more plush but the full version is more reliable in terms of the
> compression damper internals. You can bleed these yourself at home and all servicing except maybe
> the bushes which will last long-term anyway. The finish of the forks including the integrated stem
> etc. is exceptional the only issue is the lubrication which was oil splash bath on early versions
> now uses grease. Do some basic rebuilds (not including new seals or anything) and the forks will
> perform flawlessly. The hexagonal thru axle design makes this the only inverted fork worth using.

You really should be working for a car dealer.
--
Slacker

> You really should be working for a car dealer.
> --
> Slacker
>

Work on Chris Kovariks Dorados then watch him win a national round DH by 6 seconds gives you a fair
amount of confidence in the product, and yes he would have won on Marzocchis or RS but maybe only by
4 seconds !!!

"David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > You really should be working for a car dealer.
> > --
> > Slacker
> >
>
> Work on Chris Kovariks Dorados then watch him win a national round DH by 6 seconds gives you a
> fair amount of confidence in the product, and yes he would have won on Marzocchis or RS but maybe
> only by 4 seconds !!!

And you just went from sad to pathetic in 2.3 seconds.
--
Slacker

David Bailey wrote:
>>You really should be working for a car dealer.
>>--
>>Slacker
>>
>
>
> Work on Chris Kovariks Dorados then watch him win a national round DH by 6 seconds gives you a
> fair amount of confidence in the product, and yes he would have won on Marzocchis or RS but maybe
> only by 4 seconds !!!

or maybe by 8.

Ok, fine, put Chris Kovarik on an identical bike with Shiver DCs, on an identical day, with him in
identical condition, with the identical course, and identical conditions, etc. etc. , and have him
ride. Then we'll see.

Jon Bond

"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> David Bailey wrote:
> >>You really should be working for a car dealer.
> >>--
> >>Slacker
> >>
> >
> >
> > Work on Chris Kovariks Dorados then watch him win a national round DH by
> > seconds gives you a fair amount of confidence in the product, and yes he would have won on
> > Marzocchis or RS but maybe only by 4 seconds !!!
>
> or maybe by 8.
>
> Ok, fine, put Chris Kovarik on an identical bike with Shiver DCs, on an identical day, with him in
> identical condition, with the identical course, and identical conditions, etc. etc. , and have him
> ride. Then we'll see.
>
> Jon Bond
>

Hehehe...not bad for a "Weight weenie XC racer snob" ;^)

Mike

Michael Dart wrote:
> "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>David Bailey wrote:
>>
>>>>You really should be working for a car dealer.
>>>>--
>>>>Slacker
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Work on Chris Kovariks Dorados then watch him win a national round DH by
>>
> 6
>
>>>seconds gives you a fair amount of confidence in the product, and yes he would have won on
>>>Marzocchis or RS but maybe only by 4 seconds !!!
>>
>>or maybe by 8.
>>
>>Ok, fine, put Chris Kovarik on an identical bike with Shiver DCs, on an identical day, with him in
>>identical condition, with the identical course, and identical conditions, etc. etc. , and have him
>>ride. Then we'll see.
>>
>>Jon Bond
>>
>
>
> Hehehe...not bad for a "Weight weenie XC racer snob" ;^)
>
> Mike

My friend charlie has gotten to me. Must be the video of him doing 20 foot drops and jumping off
school roofs and stuff...

plus, if I had the cash (and the cojones!) to get a sweet DH ride (and armor!), it'd def have some
DC shivers. I rode charlie's DC's, and man, those things were plush as hell...

Jon Bond

"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>
> Michael Dart wrote:
> > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>David Bailey wrote:
> >>
> >>>>You really should be working for a car dealer.
> >>>>--
> >>>>Slacker
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>Work on Chris Kovariks Dorados then watch him win a national round DH by
> >>
> > 6
> >
> >>>seconds gives you a fair amount of confidence in the product, and yes he would have won on
> >>>Marzocchis or RS but maybe only by 4 seconds !!!
> >>
> >>or maybe by 8.
> >>
> >>Ok, fine, put Chris Kovarik on an identical bike with Shiver DCs, on an identical day, with him
> >>in identical condition, with the identical course, and identical conditions, etc. etc. , and
> >>have him ride. Then we'll see.
> >>
> >>Jon Bond
> >>
> >
> >
> > Hehehe...not bad for a "Weight weenie XC racer snob" ;^)
> >
> > Mike
>
> My friend charlie has gotten to me. Must be the video of him doing 20 foot drops and jumping off
> school roofs and stuff...
>
> plus, if I had the cash (and the cojones!) to get a sweet DH ride (and armor!), it'd def have some
> DC shivers. I rode charlie's DC's, and man, those things were plush as hell...
>
> Jon Bond

Hehehe.......the transformation has begun!
--
Slacker

Slacker wrote:
> "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>
>>Michael Dart wrote:
>>
>>>"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>>
>>>>David Bailey wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>>You really should be working for a car dealer.
>>>>>>--
>>>>>>Slacker
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>Work on Chris Kovariks Dorados then watch him win a national round DH by
>>>>
>>>6
>>>
>>>
>>>>>seconds gives you a fair amount of confidence in the product, and yes he would have won on
>>>>>Marzocchis or RS but maybe only by 4 seconds !!!
>>>>
>>>>or maybe by 8.
>>>>
>>>>Ok, fine, put Chris Kovarik on an identical bike with Shiver DCs, on an identical day, with him
>>>>in identical condition, with the identical course, and identical conditions, etc. etc. , and
>>>>have him ride. Then we'll see.
>>>>
>>>>Jon Bond
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Hehehe...not bad for a "Weight weenie XC racer snob" ;^)
>>>
>>>Mike
>>
>>My friend charlie has gotten to me. Must be the video of him doing 20 foot drops and jumping off
>>school roofs and stuff...
>>
>>plus, if I had the cash (and the cojones!) to get a sweet DH ride (and armor!), it'd def have some
>>DC shivers. I rode charlie's DC's, and man, those things were plush as hell...
>>
>>Jon Bond
>
>
> Hehehe.......the transformation has begun!
> --
> Slacker
>

I know, I just spent a few hours yesterday learning how to hop in place and in circles (I'm not an
ambiturner yet tho...)

I have, however, been wearing spandex, spinning, and I've got a road bike being built up for me....

Jon Bond will drop bars fit in the Shiver DC integrated stem?

news:<[email protected]>... <snip tank bike references>
> I ride steep, technical trails, with lots of drops, but want to have the manoeverability to handle
> elevated skinnies.

Two things, WTF is an elevated skinny and do you intend to ride this bicycle both up and down steep
technical trails with lots of drops?

JD

> >>>>>>You really should be working for a car dealer.
> >>>>>>--
> >>>>>>Slacker
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>Work on Chris Kovariks Dorados then watch him win a national round DH by
> >>>>
> >>>6
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>>>seconds gives you a fair amount of confidence in the product, and yes he would have won on
> >>>>>Marzocchis or RS but maybe only by 4 seconds !!!
> >>>>
> >>>>or maybe by 8.
> >>>>
> >>>>Ok, fine, put Chris Kovarik on an identical bike with Shiver DCs, on an identical day, with
> >>>>him in identical condition, with the identical course, and identical conditions, etc. etc. ,
> >>>>and have him ride. Then we'll see.
> >>>>
> >>>>Jon Bond
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>Hehehe...not bad for a "Weight weenie XC racer snob" ;^)
> >>>
> >>>Mike
> >>
> >>My friend charlie has gotten to me. Must be the video of him doing 20 foot drops and jumping off
> >>school roofs and stuff...
> >>
> >>plus, if I had the cash (and the cojones!) to get a sweet DH ride (and armor!), it'd def have
> >>some DC shivers. I rode charlie's DC's, and man, those things were plush as hell...
> >>
> >>Jon Bond
> >
> >
> > Hehehe.......the transformation has begun!
> > --
> > Slacker
> >
>
> I know, I just spent a few hours yesterday learning how to hop in place and in circles (I'm not an
> ambiturner yet tho...)
>
> I have, however, been wearing spandex, spinning, and I've got a road bike being built up
> for me....
>
> Jon Bond will drop bars fit in the Shiver DC integrated stem?

You little hucker, you......I knew you had it in you, you know!
--
Slacker

"JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Steve Sakamoto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> <snip tank bike references>
> > I ride steep, technical trails, with lots of drops, but want to have the manoeverability to
> > handle elevated skinnies.
>
> Two things, WTF is an elevated skinny and do you intend to ride this bicycle both up and down
> steep technical trails with lots of drops?
>
> JD

Summink like this:

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=55525

Mike

"JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
news:<[email protected]>...
> <snip tank bike references>
> > I ride steep, technical trails, with lots of drops, but want to have the manoeverability to
> > handle elevated skinnies.
>
> Two things, WTF is an elevated skinny and do you intend to ride this bicycle both up and down
> steep technical trails with lots of drops?
>
> JD

Elevated skinnies are just bridges...but narrower than most. Hence, the skinny factor coming into
play. Oh, and higher than most, too. And as far as climbing goes, I'd like to say that yeah, I'll
ride up to the top before hucking my meat. Realistically, however, I'll be pushing. ;o)

Dorados for DH
Monster Ts' for North Shore.

T2s' don't have as many set-up options do they? Just the next step up from the Junior Ts'.

Boxxers for breaking.

A few mates have had Shivers and have alot of trouble with the bushings letting fine particles in. Which is a pity coz they're nise and plush.

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "Steve Sakamoto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > <snip tank bike references>
> > > I ride steep, technical trails, with lots of drops, but want to have
the
> > > manoeverability to handle elevated skinnies.
> >
> > Two things, WTF is an elevated skinny and do you intend to ride this bicycle both up and down
> > steep technical trails with lots of drops?
> >
> > JD
>
> Summink like this:
>
> http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=55525

That's a sidewalk lol. Even this is too wide to be a skinny http://www.pbase.com/image/189154 .
Better, http://www.pbase.com/image/210067 . Now this is skinny, http://www.pbase.com/image/253223 .

Shaun Bell

Boxxers,
>
> A Super T is high on my list, but have never ridden one personally. I
can't
> think of too many problems, but like I said, I've never ridden one. I've ridden the 2003 Monster
> T2's, but can't get used to the 13 pounds of it dragging on the more technical trails...so
> although weight isn't my
biggest
> concern, it is certainly a factor.
>
> Can anybody offer an opinion on the Super T, the Manitou Dorado, or
perhaps
> something comparable? (2002 Monsters, maybe?)
>
> elevated skinnies. Any advice is much appreciated!

I've been using a Shiver this last year. Plush, low maintenance, heavy and a little flexi. Before
I was on a XVert Carbon. Good valving, light a little flexi and high maintenance. I could go on
but I think you already know there isn't any clear winner for freeriding. I'd stick with your
Boxer. Oh, one more thing....Durado is 3400 Canadian retail....that's so funny I think I cracked
an old broken rib!

Shaun Bell

"Shaun Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > Hi all - I'm looking for some advice. I'm riding around with 2002
> Boxxers,
> > but am getting somewhat tired of blowing them on every good ride, so I'm looking to
> > replace them.
> >
> > A Super T is high on my list, but have never ridden one personally. I
> can't
> > think of too many problems, but like I said, I've never ridden one. I've ridden the 2003 Monster
> > T2's, but can't get used to the 13 pounds of it dragging on the more technical trails...so
> > although weight isn't my
> biggest
> > concern, it is certainly a factor.
> >
> > Can anybody offer an opinion on the Super T, the Manitou Dorado, or
> perhaps
> > something comparable? (2002 Monsters, maybe?)
> >
> > handle elevated skinnies. Any advice is much appreciated!
>
>
> I've been using a Shiver this last year. Plush, low maintenance, heavy and a little flexi. Before
> I was on a XVert Carbon. Good valving, light a little flexi and high maintenance. I could go on
> but I think you already know there isn't any clear winner for freeriding. I'd stick with your
> Boxer. Oh, one more thing....Durado is 3400 Canadian retail....that's so funny I think I cracked
> an old broken rib!
>
> Shaun Bell

Hopefully in the not too distant future we'll have some Ti Shiver springs avail...
http://www.go-ride.com/prod_susp_renton.html
--
Slacker

Status
Not open for further replies.