Super Vitus 971?

Status

Chuck

Guest
I recently picked up a used Gitane frame made of vitus 971 off of ebay. It's from the 70s. Anyone
know what this frame is called? good or bad? thanks.

Andrew James

Guest
On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 03:03:40 GMT, "Chuck" <[email protected]> made this cogent remark :

>I recently picked up a used Gitane frame made of vitus 971 off of ebay. It's from the 70s. Anyone
>know what this frame is called? good or bad? thanks.

Take a look here ... short answer "good"

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France/Vitus_history.htm

hopefully it is in good shape and has its full set of bits... if so you have a cool retro bike .. if
not then keep your fingers crossed for getting parts.

A Muzi

Guest
"Chuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I recently picked up a used Gitane frame made of vitus 971 off of ebay. It's from the 70s. Anyone
> know what this frame is called? good or bad?

I've built with Vitus steel tube. It's a fine product, not unlike Reynolds
531.

Your Gitane (called a "Gitane") may be "good", "bad" or inbetween. There's a host of variables, the
vicissitudes of a used race bike and the erratic quality of Gitanes in that era among them.

If it fits and you're happy with the price you paid, what's to worry? Got photos?

Chuck

Guest
I have yet to receive the frame. It's not a question of whether it's fits or not (I am sure
it fits), but a question of whether it's a frame that's worth restoring or not. My plan for
it is either to restore with old French parts or buildup with any cheap parts available and
use as a beater...

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Chuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I recently picked up a used Gitane frame made of vitus 971 off of ebay. It's from the 70s.
> > Anyone know what this frame is called? good or bad?
>

> I've built with Vitus steel tube. It's a fine product, not unlike Reynolds
> 531.
>
> Your Gitane (called a "Gitane") may be "good", "bad" or inbetween.
There's
> a host of variables, the vicissitudes of a used race bike and the erratic quality of Gitanes in
> that era among them.
>
> If it fits and you're happy with the price you paid, what's to worry? Got photos?
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.