Super Vitus 971?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chuck, Feb 14, 2003.

  1. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    I recently picked up a used Gitane frame made of vitus 971 off of ebay. It's from the 70s. Anyone
    know what this frame is called? good or bad? thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Andrew James

    Andrew James Guest

    On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 03:03:40 GMT, "Chuck" <[email protected]> made this cogent remark :

    >I recently picked up a used Gitane frame made of vitus 971 off of ebay. It's from the 70s. Anyone
    >know what this frame is called? good or bad? thanks.

    Take a look here ... short answer "good"

    http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France/Vitus_history.htm

    hopefully it is in good shape and has its full set of bits... if so you have a cool retro bike .. if
    not then keep your fingers crossed for getting parts.

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Chuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I recently picked up a used Gitane frame made of vitus 971 off of ebay. It's from the 70s. Anyone
    > know what this frame is called? good or bad?

    I've built with Vitus steel tube. It's a fine product, not unlike Reynolds
    531.

    Your Gitane (called a "Gitane") may be "good", "bad" or inbetween. There's a host of variables, the
    vicissitudes of a used race bike and the erratic quality of Gitanes in that era among them.

    If it fits and you're happy with the price you paid, what's to worry? Got photos?

  4. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    I have yet to receive the frame. It's not a question of whether it's fits or not (I am sure
    it fits), but a question of whether it's a frame that's worth restoring or not. My plan for
    it is either to restore with old French parts or buildup with any cheap parts available and
    use as a beater...