super wide tires

genetik_freak

Jun 1, 2004
I have a mountain bike and was planning to replace the rear tire with a wider one. The one I have now is 26x2.1 and I wanted to know how wide I could go? 26x2.5? 26x3.0? Also, any advantages or disadvantages of doing so?

Thanks

Apparently, it is well advised for heavy riders to go with wider tires b/c they hold more air per psi, thus giving the rider less sag in the tire. I don't know if this is true or not, and am interested to see what other people think. Also, wider tires give more float in muddy/soft conditions, thereby reducing bog-down. And I am under the impression that wider tires have more rolling resistance b/c more tire contacts the riding surface.

Originally posted by genetik_freak
I have a mountain bike and was planning to replace the rear tire with a wider one. The one I have now is 26x2.1 and I wanted to know how wide I could go? 26x2.5? 26x3.0? Also, any advantages or disadvantages of doing so?

Thanks

How wide are your rims?
Will wider tires clear your frame, brakes, etc.?
Slightly higher rolling resistance and weight.
More shock absorbing, and floats across sand and other soft stuff.

As above. The only thing wrong with fat tyres that i can think of is clearance in the frame, and sometimes in mud u can struggle to gain traction as the excessive width tends to make the tyre float as opposed to dig in and grip, this can also be a good thing though.

Originally posted by daveornee
How wide are your rims?
All good points. I would also question what kind of tread is on the current tires. If they are nice and knobby, there may be no need to go wider.

Originally posted by daveornee
How wide are your rims?

My point in asking about the rim width is that very wide tires on narrow rims make for handling problems.

I went to a bike shop and they told me the rear cannot take anything more than a 26x2.1, but the front could go bigger. I went and got a 26x2.35 Kenda Kinetics tire and it fit ok. I wish I could go fatter in the rear though. Anyone know of mods that can be done to accomodate a bigger rear tire?