Superbowl menu suggestions?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Frank Warner, Jan 30, 2006.

  1. Frank Warner

    Frank Warner Guest

    The superbowl is a big food day at my house.

    We usually like to feature foods from the home towns of the two
    competing teams.

    Seattle is easy: Seafood and something "starbuckian."

    But what about Pittsburgh? What food or dish is Pittsburgh famous for?
    Egads. The only thing I can think of is Goodyear rubber. =0

    I'm stumped!

    -Frank

    --
    Here's some of my work:
    http://www.franksknives.com/

    Tags:

  2. Pierogies!

    Pretzels!

    Clark Bars!

    Make sandwiches with fries, the fries go inside the sandwich.

    Serve Heinz Ketchup on everything.

    Serve Iron City Beer.

    JaKe
    Seattle

  3. salgud

    salgud Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Pierogies!
    >
    > Pretzels!
    >
    > Clark Bars!
    >
    > Make sandwiches with fries, the fries go inside the sandwich.
    >
    > Serve Heinz Ketchup on everything.
    >
    > Serve Iron City Beer.
    >
    > JaKe
    > Seattle

    Burgers with toxic waste sauce.

  4. Lisa Ann

    Lisa Ann Guest

    "Frank Warner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:300120061144283925%[email protected]
    > The superbowl is a big food day at my house.
    >
    > We usually like to feature foods from the home towns of the two
    > competing teams.
    >
    > Seattle is easy: Seafood and something "starbuckian."
    >
    > But what about Pittsburgh? What food or dish is Pittsburgh famous for?
    > Egads. The only thing I can think of is Goodyear rubber. =0

    LOL - Except Goodyear was (is?) in Akron, OH. Pittsburgh is known for its
    steel factories. I think they also have a large Polish population - so
    perhaps kielbasa?

    Lisa Ann

  5. MareCat

    MareCat Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Pierogies!
    >
    > Pretzels!
    >
    > Clark Bars!
    >
    > Make sandwiches with fries, the fries go inside the sandwich.
    >
    > Serve Heinz Ketchup on everything.
    >
    > Serve Iron City Beer.

    Chipped ham sammiches.

    Mary

  6. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:33:06 GMT, "MareCat"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Chipped ham sammiches.

    *BBQ Sauced* chipped ham sandwiches ;-) It's hard finding the
    right BBQ sauce to go with them in these parts, though. I have a
    secret source here in austin called Green Mesquite BBQ sauce.
    Taste just like the Isaly's I remember.

    -sw

  7. Reg

    Reg Guest

    Steve Wertz wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:33:06 GMT, "MareCat"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Chipped ham sammiches.

    > *BBQ Sauced* chipped ham sandwiches ;-) It's hard finding the
    > right BBQ sauce to go with them in these parts, though. I have a
    > secret source here in austin called Green Mesquite BBQ sauce.
    > Taste just like the Isaly's I remember.
    >
    > -sw

    Yep. Barton Springs Road :)

    This stuff is in the same league. Put it on chipped ham, burnt ends,
    etc. Get medium or mild, not hot. It's one of the best.

    <http://www.super-que.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PLST&Store_Code=SAS>

  8. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Steve Wertz wrote:

    > *BBQ Sauced* chipped ham sandwiches ;-)

    Ok, that's just WRONG.

    -L.

  9. Stan  Horwitz

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Lisa Ann" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Frank Warner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:300120061144283925%[email protected]
    > > The superbowl is a big food day at my house.
    > >
    > > We usually like to feature foods from the home towns of the two
    > > competing teams.
    > >
    > > Seattle is easy: Seafood and something "starbuckian."
    > >
    > > But what about Pittsburgh? What food or dish is Pittsburgh famous for?
    > > Egads. The only thing I can think of is Goodyear rubber. =0

    > LOL - Except Goodyear was (is?) in Akron, OH. Pittsburgh is known for its
    > steel factories. I think they also have a large Polish population - so
    > perhaps kielbasa?

    Heinz is from Pittsburgh, so why not feature some Heinz products?

  10. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Stan Horwitz" <[email protected]> wrote

    > "Lisa Ann" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "Frank Warner" <[email protected]> wrote ...
    >> > The superbowl is a big food day at my house.
    >> >
    >> > We usually like to feature foods from the home towns of the two
    >> > competing teams.
    >> >
    >> > Seattle is easy: Seafood and something "starbuckian."
    >> >
    >> > But what about Pittsburgh? What food or dish is Pittsburgh famous for?
    >> > Egads. The only thing I can think of is Goodyear rubber. =0

    >> LOL - Except Goodyear was (is?) in Akron, OH. Pittsburgh is known for
    >> its
    >> steel factories. I think they also have a large Polish population - so
    >> perhaps kielbasa?

    > Heinz is from Pittsburgh, so why not feature some Heinz products?

    That's a good one, Stan! Too funny.

    Don't they have those Primati Bros sandwiches there? Fries
    right on the sandwich, good place for ketchup, I'd say.

    nancy

  11. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:49:00 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Steve Wertz wrote:

    >> *BBQ Sauced* chipped ham sandwiches ;-) It's hard finding the
    >> right BBQ sauce to go with them in these parts, though. I have a
    >> secret source here in austin called Green Mesquite BBQ sauce.
    >> Taste just like the Isaly's I remember.

    >Yep. Barton Springs Road :)
    >
    >This stuff is in the same league. Put it on chipped ham, burnt ends,
    >etc. Get medium or mild, not hot. It's one of the best.
    >
    ><http://www.super-que.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PLST&Store_Code=SAS>

    Hmm, I could have sworn I've seen the E&J sauce on the shelves
    someplace recently.

    The thing about the GM sauce it's pretty unique in terms of flavor
    and texture - fairly mild, non-sweet. As a BBQ sauce it's just
    ho-hum boring, but as soon as I tasted it visions of chipped ham
    sandwiches floated danced through my head. "I'll have 2 jars of
    this to go".

    They actually have the sauce locked up in a cupboard on the wall.
    I guess there's a lot of poor Isaly's fans in Austin.

    I'll check out the E&J sauce next time I see it.

    -sw

  12. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On 31 Jan 2006 00:12:56 -0800, "-L." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Steve Wertz wrote:
    >>
    >> *BBQ Sauced* chipped ham sandwiches ;-)

    >Ok, that's just WRONG.

    Don't know what you're missing. The secret is to buy the
    cheap-assed "chopped ham" ($1.99/lb) and slice it translucent
    thin. Doesn't work with the regular deli or roast-sized
    baked/boiled hams.

    On cheap, soft, white, unseeded hamburger buns ($.59/8).

    -sw

  13. Reg

    Reg Guest

    Steve Wertz wrote:

    > Hmm, I could have sworn I've seen the E&J sauce on the shelves
    > someplace recently.
    >
    > The thing about the GM sauce it's pretty unique in terms of flavor
    > and texture - fairly mild, non-sweet. As a BBQ sauce it's just
    > ho-hum boring, but as soon as I tasted it visions of chipped ham
    > sandwiches floated danced through my head. "I'll have 2 jars of
    > this to go".
    >
    > They actually have the sauce locked up in a cupboard on the wall.
    > I guess there's a lot of poor Isaly's fans in Austin.
    >
    > I'll check out the E&J sauce next time I see it.

    One of the secret ingredients: a hint of liquid smoke. Goes
    great with ham.

  14. RobinB.

    RobinB. Guest

    "-L." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Steve Wertz wrote:
    > >
    > > *BBQ Sauced* chipped ham sandwiches ;-)

    > Ok, that's just WRONG.
    >
    > -L.

    no, no, no! Delicious! As 'Burghers we will be doing Kielbassi and Kraut,
    Isaly's BB & pierogis. We will unclog our arteries with Penn Brewery
    beverages.....

    By the way, Primanti's sandwiches include cole slaw and fries on the
    sandwich. My favorite? Corned beef and swiss...........hmmm.....may have
    to get one for lunch today! GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!! Robin