Superbowl Munchies

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jmcquown, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    I don't plan to watch the game; nor will I watch that silly "Survivor" thing afterwards. But that
    doesn't mean I don't have recipes for some good game or other gatherings munchies!

    Seasoned Oyster Crackers

    1/2 c. corn/vegetable oil 1 pkg. Ranch salad dressing (not the dip mix) 2 tsp. dried dill weed
    2/2 tsp. garlic powder 1 large pkg. oyster crackers (unsalted)

    Mix the first four ingredients and mix into a large bowl with oyster crackers. Stir until well
    coated. Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 250F for about 10 minutes. Let cool, then seal in
    ziplock bags to store. Set out in bowls as snacks at the party

    Party Pizza's on Mini-Rye

    1 lb. lean ground beef 1 lb. hot Italian sausage
    3/2 lb. shredded cheddar cheese
    4/4 lb. crumbled feta cheese 1 tsp. dried oregano
    5/4 tsp. garlic powder 2 Tbs. dried parsley flakes 1-1/2 loaves party rye bread

    Brown together the beef and sausage. Drain and return to heat; add the cheeses and herbs; stir until
    cheese is melted. Set aside.

    Spoon onto rye slices (about 1 Tbs. each) and place on a baking sheet. At this point you can freeze
    them, separating the baking sheets with waxed paper.

    When ready to cook, place under a hot broiler for 5-7 minutes, watching to be sure they don't burn.
    Makes a LOT!

    Jill's Hot Wings

    These are broiled, not fried. And definitely not battered.

    3-4 lbs. chicken wings pepper to taste 3 Tbs. butter 3-4 Tbs. Tabasco or other favorite hot sauce
    6/2 tsp. spicy season-all

    Separate chicken wings at the joint with a cleaver to make tips and drummies. Melt butter in a small
    saucepan and add remaining ingredients. Place 'wings' on a rack on a broiler pan. Brush generously
    with the butter/hot sauce mixture. Broil 15-20 minutes, brushing with butter/sauce mixture as you
    see fit. Turn once. Broil until nicely crispy. Drain on brown paper. Serve with bleu cheese or Ranch
    dressing and lots of beer!

    Bacon Vegetable Dip

    7/2 c. mayonnaise
    8/2 c. sour cream
    9/4 tsp. garlic powder
    10/4 tsp. onion powder
    11/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes pepper to taste 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled

    Mix all ingredients together. Cover and let stand (in the fridge) at least 5 hours. Stir before
    serving with assorted veggies or crackers and chips.

    Enjoy the game and the snacks everyone!

    Jill

    Tags:

  2. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > and lots of beer!

    The key ingredient of Superbowl parties... <lol> Thanks for the recipes. Given me some ideas for
    future parties.

    > Enjoy the game and the snacks everyone!

    I got suckered into working instead. :p

    On the upside, it'll be 12 hours of overtime at $30.00 per hour... ;-) Gonna be a nice paycheck.

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<[email protected]>,,<

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    braised & glazed pork ribs baked potato skins with bacon, cheddar cheese, and sour cream red lentil
    & carrot soup bagel chips & spinach dip

    beer, cranberry juice (with or without liquor), and iced tea

    Bob

  4. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > braised & glazed pork ribs baked potato skins with bacon, cheddar cheese, and sour cream red
    > lentil & carrot soup bagel chips & spinach dip
    >
    > beer, cranberry juice (with or without liquor), and iced tea
    >

    > Bob

    Ah ha! But do you make your own bagel chips?!

    Seriously, I have a recipe for those things. Lemme see...

    6 plain bagels 5 Tbs. lowfat margarine 1 Tbs. Dijon Mustard
    1/4 tsp. onion powder
    2/4 tsp. garlic powder

    Cut each bagel into 1/4" thin slices. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Combine remaining ingredients
    and spread over the bagel slices. Bake at 300F for 20 minutes until crisped and browned. Let cool.

    Oh, here's another favorite:

    Tamale Meatballs

    2 c. crumbled cornbread 10 oz. can enchilada sauce 1-1/2 lb. lean ground beef 8 oz. can tomato sauce
    3/2 c. shredded monterey jack cheese 2 oz. chopped green chilies (optional)

    Combine crumbled cornbread, half of the enchilada sauce with ground beef and mix well. Form into 1
    inch meatballs. Bake in a shallow dish, uncovered, about 18-20 minutes or until meatballs are
    browned. In a saucepan heat tomato sauce and remainder of enchilada sauce. Place cooked meatballs in
    a chafing dish. Pour the sauce over the top; add the green chilies and top with shredded jack
    cheese. Keep warm over low heat.

    Jill