Superbright led lights

Skeleton Man

Guest
Hi guys,

Does anyone know of superbright (or any) led based front bike light ? The
rear light on any set is led based and works great, but I have yet to see a
front light that works worth a damn.. (mine does a great job at
illuminating the front wheel.. if I point it at the road ahead it's not even
visible anymore!)

Why do they not make the front light led based like the rear one ? Is there
something with equivlent brightness to a car headlight ? (or at least enough
to clearly light up the road for like 15 - 20 feet ahead)

Chris

OzCableguy

Guest
"Skeleton Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi guys,
>
> Does anyone know of superbright (or any) led based front bike light ? The
> rear light on any set is led based and works great, but I have yet to see
> front light that works worth a damn.. (mine does a great job at
> illuminating the front wheel.. if I point it at the road ahead it's not
> even
> visible anymore!)

Hell yes. I just bought a set of AyUps - http://www.ayup.com.au/. They're
super bright, light & small, great for offroad with both the bar & helmet
lights included and unbelievably great value for money when you compare them
to the price of other super bright bike LEDs.

Another of our locals here makes a brighter and more customisable LED using
Ni-MH batteries at http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/chervy/ but not sure if he
ships overseas.

Or you could DIY -
http://users.bigpond.net.au/seanfh/mtb_files/DIY_MTB_Night_Light.pdf
http://www.bikelight.blogspot.com/
http://www.users.on.net/~fathers/lightstoc.htm
http://www.timpaton.net/bikes/light/index.htm
http://www.littlefishbicycles.com/bikelight/index.html

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Skeleton Man

Guest
>Hell yes. I just bought a set of AyUps - http://www.ayup.com.au/. They're
>super bright, light & small, great for offroad with both the bar & helmet
>lights included and unbelievably great value for money when you compare

them
>to the price of other super bright bike LEDs.

>Another of our locals here makes a brighter and more customisable LED using
>Ni-MH batteries at http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/chervy/ but not sure if he
>ships overseas.

Wow, both those look awesome but WAY out my price range.. $400 is more than
I paid for the bike itself !

I was hoping for the sub-$100 range.. preferably under USD/CAD $75..

btw, what part of Oz you from ? I'm from Tassie originally.. moved to Canada
a few years ago..

Chris

OzCableguy

Guest
"Skeleton Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I was hoping for the sub-$100 range.. preferably under USD/CAD $75..

Ok, DIY is the way to go then. Over here you can easily put together
something with a 20 or 50w halogen globe for $50 - $100 including a charger.
The higher the globe wattage, the brighter the light but burn times are
reduced. You can increase burn times with bigger batteries but those nicads
can be heavy. eg a 7.0Ah battery will give you a bit over 4hrs of burn time
but it weighs about 5 kgs (11 pounds) and is roughly the size of a standard
house brick. One of my mates has been experimenting with one of these in his
Camelbak and a 50w globe mounted on his helmet. He reckons the weight is a
shocker when you first pick it up but once you get moving you hardly notice
it.
A 20w globe with a 4.0Ah battery would give you around 2.5 hrs and be heaps
for most people. ie You'd have cars dipping their lights at you thinking you
were something motorised and you'd blind oncoming traffic if you had it
pointed too high.

Brisbane - http://mtbdirt.com.au/ ;-)

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Crescentius Vespasianus

Guest
[email protected]...
> Hi guys,
>
> Does anyone know of superbright (or any) led based front bike light ? The
> rear light on any set is led based and works great, but I have yet to see

> front light that works worth a damn.. (mine does a great job at
> illuminating the front wheel.. if I point it at the road ahead it's not

even
> visible anymore!)
>
> Why do they not make the front light led based like the rear one ? Is

there
> something with equivlent brightness to a car headlight ? (or at least

enough
> to clearly light up the road for like 15 - 20 feet ahead)
>
> Chris

-------------------
I use a DiNotte LED that works pretty good for a road bike. The problem
with LED's is that they can't focus the beams. The light just goes all over
the place. For a tail light, that's what you want it to do, so people can
see you from the rear from any angle. On a road bike though, because of the
high speed, you want something that will put a spot way down the road, which
requires focusing, which they can't seem to do yet. The best focused LED,
I've seen is the Cateye EL-500, that works good for road, but I don't think
it's powerful enough for MTB. But I like the DiNotte for light in front of
the wheel, wide angle, I think it's for mtb. The beauty of the DiNotte, is
it uses 4 AAA batteries, so you can buy those rechargeable AAA bats, or just
use Alkaline, or Lithium. It gives you a lot of options.

Dean A. Stepper

Guest
"Skeleton Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi guys,
>
> Does anyone know of superbright (or any) led based front bike light ? The
> rear light on any set is led based and works great, but I have yet to see
> front light that works worth a damn.. (mine does a great job at
> illuminating the front wheel.. if I point it at the road ahead it's not
> even
> visible anymore!)
>
> Why do they not make the front light led based like the rear one ? Is
> there
> something with equivlent brightness to a car headlight ? (or at least
> enough
> to clearly light up the road for like 15 - 20 feet ahead)
>
> Chris

I am hoping this will live up to the other Light and Motion lights I have
used. Due to be released on August 15th.

http://www.bikelights.com/News/Headline_more/stellapr.htm

Dean

Callistus Valerius

Guest

> -------------------
> I use a DiNotte LED that works pretty good for a road bike. The problem
> with LED's is that they can't focus the beams. The light just goes all

over
> the place. For a tail light, that's what you want it to do, so people can
> see you from the rear from any angle. On a road bike though, because of

the
> high speed, you want something that will put a spot way down the road,

which
> requires focusing, which they can't seem to do yet. The best focused LED,
> I've seen is the Cateye EL-500, that works good for road, but I don't

think
> it's powerful enough for MTB. But I like the DiNotte for light in front

of
> the wheel, wide angle, I think it's for mtb. The beauty of the DiNotte,

is
> it uses 4 AAA batteries, so you can buy those rechargeable AAA bats, or

just
> use Alkaline, or Lithium. It gives you a lot of options.

correction "AA" bats not "AAA" bats for the DiNotte.