Supercross rider dies

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Dave W, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave W

Dave W Guest

Tags:

2. G.T.

G.T. Guest

3. Dave W

Dave W Guest

"G.T." <[email protected]> had this to say
    news:[email protected]

>
    > "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> For those that are interested in motorsports...
    >>
    >> http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/detail.asp?id=1047
    >>
    >> First death in Supercross since it's inception, and the first death in motocross since 1975!
    >> (helluva safety record!)
    >>
    >
    > That's terrible news, I would have expected it from a huge triple or something but it sounds like
    > he just got bumped off a corner.
    >
    > Greg

Indeed. Article sez he got bumped off course, went OTB, then headfirst into the dirt. Definetly very
    bad news...and his folks were there watching! He was a rising star too apparently...only 19.

Dave

4. Slacker

Slacker Guest

Dave W wrote:
    > For those that are interested in motorsports...
    >
    > http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/detail.asp?id=1047
    >
    > First death in Supercross since it's inception, and the first death in motocross since 1975!
    > (helluva safety record!)
    >
    > Dave (rip Jason)

Man, that really sucks. I've been in love with that sport since I was a young pup.

I'm curious as to the final autopsy report because, "A paramedics' communication said the cause of
    death was from a ruptured aorta. An official cause won't be announced until an autopsy is complete."
    This sounds a little strange to me??
    --
    Slacker

5. Penny S

Penny S Guest

Slacker wrote:
    > Dave W wrote:
    >> For those that are interested in motorsports...
    >>
    >> http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/detail.asp?id=1047
    >>
    >> First death in Supercross since it's inception, and the first death in motocross since 1975!
    >> (helluva safety record!)
    >>
    >> Dave (rip Jason)
    >
    >
    > Man, that really sucks. I've been in love with that sport since I was a young pup.
    >
    > I'm curious as to the final autopsy report because, "A paramedics' communication said the cause of
    > death was from a ruptured aorta. An official cause won't be announced until an autopsy is
    > complete." This sounds a little strange to me??

how would the paramedic be able to determine for sure a ruptured aorta without a visual cue (
    such as an open gaping chest wound) or barring thatk, x ray vision. Sounds like a pretty good
    guess to me.

penny

6. Slacker

Slacker Guest

>> I'm curious as to the final autopsy report because, "A paramedics' communication said the cause
    >> of death was from a ruptured aorta. An official cause won't be announced until an autopsy is
    >> complete." This sounds a little strange to me??
    >
    > how would the paramedic be able to determine for sure a ruptured aorta without a visual cue (
    > such as an open gaping chest wound) or barring thatk, x ray vision. Sounds like a pretty good
    > guess to me.
    >
    > penny

Doesn't something funky happen to yer eyeballs when you blow an aorta ?? I don't maybe I've watched
    one too many CSI episodes.
    --
    Slacker

7. Kathleen

Kathleen Guest

Penny S wrote:
    > Slacker wrote:
    >
    >>Dave W wrote:
    >>
    >>>For those that are interested in motorsports...
    >>>
    >>>http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/detail.asp?id=1047
    >>>
    >>>First death in Supercross since it's inception, and the first death in motocross since 1975!
    >>>(helluva safety record!)
    >>>
    >>>Dave (rip Jason)
    >>
    >>
    >>Man, that really sucks. I've been in love with that sport since I was a young pup.
    >>
    >>I'm curious as to the final autopsy report because, "A paramedics' communication said the cause of
    >>death was from a ruptured aorta. An official cause won't be announced until an autopsy is
    >>complete." This sounds a little strange to me??
    >
    >
    > how would the paramedic be able to determine for sure a ruptured aorta without a visual cue (
    > such as an open gaping chest wound) or barring thatk, x ray vision. Sounds like a pretty good
    > guess to me.

I think there's a particular type of break to the ribs and/or collar bone that can also tear the
    aorta. Emergency personnel are taught to suspect or consider the possibility when they get an
    accident victim presenting with that pattern of rib/chest injury.

Kathleen

8. Penny S

Penny S Guest

Kathleen wrote:
    > Penny S wrote:
    >> Slacker wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dave W wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> For those that are interested in motorsports...
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/detail.asp?id=1047
    >>>>
    >>>> First death in Supercross since it's inception, and the first death in motocross since 1975!
    >>>> (helluva safety record!)
    >>>>
    >>>> Dave (rip Jason)
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Man, that really sucks. I've been in love with that sport since I was a young pup.
    >>>
    >>> I'm curious as to the final autopsy report because, "A paramedics' communication said the cause
    >>> of death was from a ruptured aorta. An official cause won't be announced until an autopsy is
    >>> complete." This sounds a little strange to me??
    >>
    >>
    >> how would the paramedic be able to determine for sure a ruptured aorta without a visual cue (
    >> such as an open gaping chest wound) or barring thatk, x ray vision. Sounds like a pretty good
    >> guess to me.
    >
    > I think there's a particular type of break to the ribs and/or collar bone that can also tear the
    > aorta. Emergency personnel are taught to suspect or consider the possibility when they get an
    > accident victim presenting with that pattern of rib/chest injury.
    >
    > Kathleen

a lot can also be determined by "mechanism of injury" too. I'd ask the resident ski patroller but
    he's at a search and rescue meeting.
    p.

9. mxpilot

mxpilot New Member

Supercross is a great sport. When someone dies it is bad for the sport. I was at a local race a few years ago and a 13 year old kid had a simple fall and died. It was really bad. The races were canceled and everyone went home. It just puts a sad mood on the day.
    I guess I just hope that this does not continue to happen at supercross races. My Nascar friends are always telling me of someone who died during a race. Can't see how this would do any good for the sport.
    Just my thoughts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.