Superglue and Tire Cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brad D

I thought I read a while ago about using superglue in small tire cuts. Is this one of those silly
things not to do or is it a reliable hole filler? I have a few small cuts on a rather newish set of
tires (800 miles). Thanks in advance for your help.

Brad D.

"Brad D" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I thought I read a while ago about using superglue in small tire cuts. Is this one of those silly
> things not to do or is it a reliable hole filler?
I
> have a few small cuts on a rather newish set of tires (800 miles). Thanks in advance for
> your help.
>
> Brad D.
>
I use Goop in my tire cuts to fill the cut so something else can't work its way in there and further
open it. Superglue doesn't work well at all.

> I thought I read a while ago about using superglue in small tire cuts. Is this one of those silly
I
> have a few small cuts on a rather newish set of tires (800 miles). Thanks in advance for
> your help.
>

Not worth the trouble.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

I use superglue a lot.. I build model planes. there are 2 types, "gap filling" and 'thin" - the gap
filling is a thicker glue, does not dry as quickly. Thin, is made for very tight joints and works
well. I did use thin superglue just a few days ago to patch a tire, and it worked fine, but I used
an old inner-tube and cut a small square at the patch material, then superglue the patch over the
puncture. Worked great.

sc

I
> your help.
>
> Brad D.

it's a common method of fixing a tubeless tyre for thorns and the like. I guess it depends on the
size of the cut.

"Brad D" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... I
thought I read a while ago about using superglue in small tire cuts. Is this one of those silly
things not to do or is it a reliable hole filler? I have a few small cuts on a rather newish set of
tires (800 miles). Thanks in advance for your help.

Brad D.

New one on me. i like the goop idea though. it is designed for rubber repair.

May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Brad D <[email protected]> wrote:
> things not to do or is it a reliable hole filler? I have a few small cuts on a rather newish set
> of tires (800 miles). Thanks in advance for your help.

> Brad D.

In my experience, it doesn't work. The glue isn't flexable enough and will eventually fall off. I've
also tried using tyvek and shoe goo for a large sidewall cut, It didn't work either. The tyvek
eventually shedded itself to bits. A bit of shoe goo will on the inside of a tire seems to stay put.
I'm not sure if there is any benefit to it. The stuff won't last on the outside of a tire. Shoe Goo
will outgas and discolor tan sidewalls so beware.
--
----
[email protected]

"Brad D" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> things not to do or is it a reliable hole filler? I have a few small cuts on a rather newish set
> of tires (800 miles). Thanks in advance for your help.

I tend to agree with those that say it's not worth the trouble, but if I was going to try it I would
use "black" superglue. It's a suspension of ultra-fine rubber particles in superglue and is
considerably more flexible than regular superglue. You can get it at a place that caters to slot car
hobbyists- they use it for gluing on little tires.

I've used tires that had rubber slices all over them. It never seemed to me that they were any more
likely to flat at an old cut than anywhere else (I don't remember a cut ever turning later into a
flat), but with tubulars you carry a spare tire not just a tube, so there was no reason that I could
see not to keep riding them for training- in some ways it was pleasing for a tire to last long
enough to get in that condition. I might look at it differently if I didn't have a spare tire on the
bike, though.

JP

Thanks for all the input. There arre only a couple of very small cuts on my rear tire (Vredestein
Fortezza TriComp). I'm not to worried about flatting due to these cuts, but I thought I inquire
anyway. Once again, thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Brad D

oh yeah oh yeah GOOP works. but it does wear. whaddya want. CHEOPS?? gotta prepareb the
surface-isopropyl as in the market or denatured straight or diluted.scrub. Gotta dobie or abrasive
snading pad? a clean one. wipe the surface with a clean paper towl agin after cleaning then LET DRY
or ALLOW TO DRY.iN FACT!! the proces is best done on a hot dry day. Dig the **** otta the
holes(making sure the holes don't go thru if so patch with a piece of used tube) and wash the holes
out with CHO. spread the goop with a small piece of poly bottle forcing the Goop on under pressure.
smear a layer on the flat spots and rotate the tire. repeat as needed. the tire will live thru its
intended milage an d not expire 'cuase the flat spot went 1000Km before the other rubber. The GOOP
used hear is OUTDOOR GOOP available from Home Depot and sometimes Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.