SuperGo a scam?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by dgk, Dec 22, 2005.

  1. dgk

    dgk Guest

    Twice I've replied to SuperGo emails. The first was for a wireless
    computer for $30 or so. It didn't arrive and when I called up they
    claim that they never got my order (from their online store). Of
    course it was sold out by then.

    Ok, it happens. I guess. But a few days ago an ad shows up featuring
    $10 shirts. I can use a couple so I order two. Plus, as long as I'm
    paying some shipping, I also order a chain and a water bottle cage.
    Today the package arrives, with the chain and water bottle cage. The
    shirts were discontinued. So I paid shipping for a chain and a cage,
    both of which I could have gotten at a LBS.

    Is this place just scamming with stuff that will be conveniently out
    of stock or did I just get unlucky twice?

    Nice cage by the way, but my Lead Acid battery doesn't fit in it so
    that's a waste also.

    Tags:

  2. gds

    gds Guest

    As I understand it SuperGo was bought by Performance a couple of months
    ago and is no longer operating under its own name. The SuperGo store in
    Tucson just had its signage changed to Performance a couple of weeks
    ago, perhaps the on line store is on a different schedule.

  3. Ken M

    Ken M Guest

    gds wrote:
    > As I understand it SuperGo was bought by Performance a couple of months
    > ago and is no longer operating under its own name. The SuperGo store in
    > Tucson just had its signage changed to Performance a couple of weeks
    > ago, perhaps the on line store is on a different schedule.

    I thought I read somewhere that Performance was owned by Nasbar or maybe
    it was the other way around, but either way I get bombarded with
    catalogs from both of them. I have never ordered from performance, but
    nashbar has been right on ever time.

    Ken
    --
    On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk - unless you act like a jerk
    on the internet too. - Quote modified by Ken M.

    Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

  4. Rick

    Rick Guest

    gds wrote:
    > As I understand it SuperGo was bought by Performance a couple of months
    > ago and is no longer operating under its own name. The SuperGo store in
    > Tucson just had its signage changed to Performance a couple of weeks
    > ago, perhaps the on line store is on a different schedule.

    Performance has owned SuperGo (and Nashbar) for some years now. The
    change you see is not a change in ownership, it is a change in
    branding. Performance decided to rebrand the SuperGo stores as
    Performance, shut down a few Performance stores, and drop the big name
    bike brands from the line-up, e.g., Giant and Specialized. It does not
    take a genius to figure out that dropping Giant and Specialized,
    companies with dealer agreements forbidding on-line sales, is a move
    towards merging the stores and the on-line presence for SuperGo. To
    date the brick and mortar stores and the on-line store have been a bit
    out of sync; I think Performance wants to bring them closer together.
    To that end, it is a curiousity that they did not announce a merging of
    the Performance and SuperGo web sites; that would make sense.
    Nashbar, on the other hand, has been relegated to be Performance's
    outlet house, the Ross/Marshall's of the bike world. My crystal ball
    says two web sites, Nashbar and Performance, in the future with the
    SuperGo name fading into the sunset.

    - rick

  5. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    dgk wrote:
    > Twice I've replied to SuperGo emails. The first was for a wireless
    > computer for $30 or so. It didn't arrive and when I called up they
    > claim that they never got my order (from their online store). Of
    > course it was sold out by then.
    >
    > Ok, it happens. I guess. But a few days ago an ad shows up featuring
    > $10 shirts. I can use a couple so I order two. Plus, as long as I'm
    > paying some shipping, I also order a chain and a water bottle cage.
    > Today the package arrives, with the chain and water bottle cage. The
    > shirts were discontinued. So I paid shipping for a chain and a cage,
    > both of which I could have gotten at a LBS.
    >
    > Is this place just scamming with stuff that will be conveniently out
    > of stock or did I just get unlucky twice?
    >
    > Nice cage by the way, but my Lead Acid battery doesn't fit in it so
    > that's a waste also.

    I've scored some major deals from Supergo (web), but I've been stiffed a
    couple of times, too. I don't think they're scammers -- just not as
    shit-together as some of the other m-o places.

  6. dgk

    dgk Guest

    On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 13:56:27 -0500, Peter Cole
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >dgk wrote:
    >> Twice I've replied to SuperGo emails. The first was for a wireless
    >> computer for $30 or so. It didn't arrive and when I called up they
    >> claim that they never got my order (from their online store). Of
    >> course it was sold out by then.
    >>
    >> Ok, it happens. I guess. But a few days ago an ad shows up featuring
    >> $10 shirts. I can use a couple so I order two. Plus, as long as I'm
    >> paying some shipping, I also order a chain and a water bottle cage.
    >> Today the package arrives, with the chain and water bottle cage. The
    >> shirts were discontinued. So I paid shipping for a chain and a cage,
    >> both of which I could have gotten at a LBS.
    >>
    >> Is this place just scamming with stuff that will be conveniently out
    >> of stock or did I just get unlucky twice?
    >>
    >> Nice cage by the way, but my Lead Acid battery doesn't fit in it so
    >> that's a waste also.

    >I've scored some major deals from Supergo (web), but I've been stiffed a
    >couple of times, too. I don't think they're scammers -- just not as
    >shit-together as some of the other m-o places.

    Maybe the deal was so great that they got swamped. $10 shirts. At
    Target perhaps but not from a bike outfit. Ha, shirts from a bike
    outfit, I like that. Oh well, I can still use the chain. If the subway
    strike keeps on I'm going to be changing the chain more than I
    expected this winter. I thought it was about due but I checked it a
    few weeks back and it was still easily ok according to the little
    gauge.

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > It does not
    > take a genius to figure out that dropping Giant and Specialized,
    > companies with dealer agreements forbidding on-line sales, is a move
    > towards merging the stores and the on-line presence for SuperGo. To
    > date the brick and mortar stores and the on-line store have been a bit
    > out of sync; I think Performance wants to bring them closer together.
    > To that end, it is a curiousity that they did not announce a merging of
    > the Performance and SuperGo web sites; that would make sense.

    They just did, announced 12/21/05, straight from Supergo/Performance:

    "Supergo will cease to exist as a catalog, internet and retail entity
    as of early January. It will be aborbed into Performance Bicycle."

    --
    [email protected] is Joshua Putnam
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

  8. In my expereince, their clsoeout specals really are closeout
    specials, they do run out of them fairly quickly.

    --
    [email protected] is Joshua Putnam
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>
    Updated Bicycle Touring Books List:
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/tourbooks.html>

  9. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Joshua Putnam wrote:

    > > It does not
    > > take a genius to figure out that dropping Giant and Specialized,
    > > companies with dealer agreements forbidding on-line sales, is a move
    > > towards merging the stores and the on-line presence for SuperGo. To
    > > date the brick and mortar stores and the on-line store have been a bit
    > > out of sync; I think Performance wants to bring them closer together.
    > > To that end, it is a curiousity that they did not announce a merging of
    > > the Performance and SuperGo web sites; that would make sense.

    > They just did, announced 12/21/05, straight from Supergo/Performance:
    >
    > "Supergo will cease to exist as a catalog, internet and retail entity
    > as of early January. It will be aborbed into Performance Bicycle."

    As I said, it only makes sense. Performance and SuperGo overlapped too
    much.

    - rick

  10. dgk

    dgk Guest

    On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 11:28:19 -0800, Joshua Putnam <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >In my expereince, their clsoeout specals really are closeout
    >specials, they do run out of them fairly quickly.

    Yup, another one just came by and one of the closeouts was $3 socks.
    Available in all sizes. I called up, only smalls were now available.

  11. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    dgk wrote:

    >>In my expereince, their clsoeout specals really are closeout
    >>specials, they do run out of them fairly quickly.

    >Yup, another one just came by and one of the closeouts was $3 socks. Available in all sizes. I called up, only smalls were now available.

    When you order online, there's usually a text box for comments. You
    should type something like, "Cancel entire order if shirts are out of
    stock." If ordering by phone, tell that to the order taker.

    Art Harris

  12. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    I've ordered from Supergo a handful of times, and I've never had a bad
    experience. Fast shipping, low prices. Last order was a month or so ago. Has
    something changed since?

  13. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    ..
    > To that end, it is a curiousity that they did not announce a merging of
    > the Performance and SuperGo web sites; that would make sense.
    > Nashbar, on the other hand, has been relegated to be Performance's
    > outlet house, the Ross/Marshall's of the bike world. My crystal ball
    > says two web sites, Nashbar and Performance, in the future with the
    > SuperGo name fading into the sunset.
    >
    > - rick

    It is interesting that Nashbar is stocking more BoBish items. They have
    Brooks saddles and accessories, have some wool clothing, sell a touring
    frame, etc. Nice.

  14. > My crystal ball
    > says two web sites, Nashbar and Performance, in the future with the
    > SuperGo name fading into the sunset.
    >
    > - rick

    It's true that Supergo is going away, but in my opinion, it's a major gaffe
    on their part. I think the Supergo end of the business had a lot more upward
    potential than Performance... Supergo was always known as the leader for
    killer deals, and any service you got from them was a bonus. If anything,
    they overperformed in terms of customer expectations.

    Performance, on the other hand, markets itself as a full-on retail bicycle
    shop, with excellent service etc. The degree to which they succeed varies
    widely by location, with many generating a lot of complaints. Not to say
    that the normal LBS doesn't have issues as well, but Performance seems to
    miss the mark in terms of expectation vs delivery. Underperforming
    expecations.

    I was almost positive that they'd re-brand Performance stores as Supergo,
    and take it from there. Obviously, I was completely wrong. They must know
    what they're doing, but darned if I can figure it out...

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

    "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > gds wrote:
    >> As I understand it SuperGo was bought by Performance a couple of months
    >> ago and is no longer operating under its own name. The SuperGo store in
    >> Tucson just had its signage changed to Performance a couple of weeks
    >> ago, perhaps the on line store is on a different schedule.

    > Performance has owned SuperGo (and Nashbar) for some years now. The
    > change you see is not a change in ownership, it is a change in
    > branding. Performance decided to rebrand the SuperGo stores as
    > Performance, shut down a few Performance stores, and drop the big name
    > bike brands from the line-up, e.g., Giant and Specialized. It does not
    > take a genius to figure out that dropping Giant and Specialized,
    > companies with dealer agreements forbidding on-line sales, is a move
    > towards merging the stores and the on-line presence for SuperGo. To
    > date the brick and mortar stores and the on-line store have been a bit
    > out of sync; I think Performance wants to bring them closer together.
    > To that end, it is a curiousity that they did not announce a merging of
    > the Performance and SuperGo web sites; that would make sense.
    > Nashbar, on the other hand, has been relegated to be Performance's
    > outlet house, the Ross/Marshall's of the bike world. My crystal ball
    > says two web sites, Nashbar and Performance, in the future with the
    > SuperGo name fading into the sunset.
    >
    > - rick

  15. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:22:48 -0800, gds wrote:

    > As I understand it SuperGo was bought by Performance a couple of months
    > ago and is no longer operating under its own name. The SuperGo store in
    > Tucson just had its signage changed to Performance a couple of weeks ago,
    > perhaps the on line store is on a different schedule.

    I heard the same about the Supergo store in Fountain Valley, CA. The name
    change is recent. But I think the purchase by Performance/Nashbar
    happened quite awhile ago.

    Matt O.

  16. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 00:55:31 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

    >> My crystal ball
    >> says two web sites, Nashbar and Performance, in the future with the
    >> SuperGo name fading into the sunset.
    >>
    >> - rick

    > It's true that Supergo is going away, but in my opinion, it's a major
    > gaffe on their part. I think the Supergo end of the business had a lot
    > more upward potential than Performance... Supergo was always known as the
    > leader for killer deals, and any service you got from them was a bonus. If
    > anything, they overperformed in terms of customer expectations.
    >
    > Performance, on the other hand, markets itself as a full-on retail bicycle
    > shop, with excellent service etc. The degree to which they succeed varies
    > widely by location, with many generating a lot of complaints. Not to say
    > that the normal LBS doesn't have issues as well, but Performance seems to
    > miss the mark in terms of expectation vs delivery. Underperforming
    > expecations.
    >
    > I was almost positive that they'd re-brand Performance stores as Supergo,
    > and take it from there. Obviously, I was completely wrong. They must know
    > what they're doing, but darned if I can figure it out...

    I agree with you Mike. The stores themselves were much different.
    Performance sold a lot of its own stuff, while Supergo was the place to go
    for deals on name-brand stuff, and higher end stuff, particularly MTB.
    Supergo always had an amazing in-store selection too. I really liked
    the clothing/shoe area -- you could try on almost anything on the
    market.

    I disagree about Supergo's service though. It was a great place to get
    deals if you knew what you wanted, but anyone else was at the mercy of
    some pretty high-pressure sales tactics, and generally lousy after-sale
    service. I shopped there often myself, but I'd never send a newbie there.
    The repair dept. of the FV store had some notorious jerks working there
    too. OTOH, the Performance stores I've been to were better LBSes than
    most LBSes, particularly the old Irvine store which was outstanding.

    So these businesses really didn't have much in common, and killing the
    Supergo brand seems silly to me too.

    Matt O.

  17. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 11:28:19 -0800, Joshua Putnam wrote:

    > In my expereince, their clsoeout specals really are closeout specials,
    > they do run out of them fairly quickly.

    Yup.

    Matt O.

  18. dgk

    dgk Guest

    On 22 Dec 2005 13:47:15 -0800, "Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >dgk wrote:
    >
    >>>In my expereince, their clsoeout specals really are closeout
    >>>specials, they do run out of them fairly quickly.

    >>Yup, another one just came by and one of the closeouts was $3 socks. Available in all sizes. I called up, only smalls were now available.

    >When you order online, there's usually a text box for comments. You
    >should type something like, "Cancel entire order if shirts are out of
    >stock." If ordering by phone, tell that to the order taker.
    >
    >Art Harris

    Good plan. I'll do that next time.

  19. Pat Lamb

    Pat Lamb Guest

    Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
    > Performance, on the other hand, markets itself as a full-on retail bicycle
    > shop, with excellent service etc. The degree to which they succeed varies
    > widely by location, with many generating a lot of complaints. Not to say
    > that the normal LBS doesn't have issues as well, but Performance seems to
    > miss the mark in terms of expectation vs delivery. Underperforming
    > expecations.

    Yeah, but they got more parking space than you do...
    :)

    > I was almost positive that they'd re-brand Performance stores as Supergo,
    > and take it from there. Obviously, I was completely wrong. They must know
    > what they're doing, but darned if I can figure it out...

    My limited exposure to Supergo led me to believe they were the Big Lots
    of the bicycle world. You might be able to score a killer deal, or they
    wouldn't have what you wanted.

    Performance has their house brands, and it's nice to pick up a jersey
    for $20-25, vs. the name-brand $60-85. I think this (Performance brand)
    is their niche. Otherwise, they have limited selection and high prices
    (by mail order standards).

    Nashbar is where it's at for my taste. Better selection on name brands
    than Performance, and generally better prices.

    Let's see, looking in the corner, my bike is from Harris, shifters and
    derailleur from Nashbar, seat from Wallbike, computer and headlight from
    Nashbar, taillights from LBS and REI, fenders from Licktons, water
    bottle and panniers from LBS, and oh yes, chain and pedals from Performance.

    But half the bike clothes I wore today came from Performance.

    Still, I wouldn't buy a bike from Performance unless they open a store
    in my town.

    Pat

  20. > I disagree about Supergo's service though. It was a great place to get
    > deals if you knew what you wanted, but anyone else was at the mercy of
    > some pretty high-pressure sales tactics, and generally lousy after-sale
    > service. I shopped there often myself, but I'd never send a newbie there.
    > The repair dept. of the FV store had some notorious jerks working there
    > too.

    Actually, you're *agreeing* with me. You gotta stop that. My point was that
    people don't expect great service at a Supergo, but rather great prices on
    stuff they got large qtys from a distressed bike company. Big stack of, say,
    famous-brand tire at 1/2 price. The customer coming is isn't the person who
    wants to spend half an hour talking with someone about their riding style
    and whether that tire makes sense for them... it's the person who knows what
    they need and recognizes something cheap that they can make work for them.

    That's not the Performance customer. Whether by accident or design, they get
    walk-ins who appear to expect a whole lot more than they get, which is
    likely the reason the company has done so poorly selling bikes (which
    require a *lot* of time/resources to assemble properly, sell and service
    down the road). It's a serious drag on their bottom line, so it doesn't get
    the attention it deserves. Much easier to sell stuff in a box, but the
    issue, again, is that that's the Supergo customer (happy to buy in a box),
    not Performance.

    Obviously, the quality of store varies greatly; these are generalizations
    I'm making based upon my experience with a limited number of local stores,
    plus what I hear elsewhere from customers that email me. And just as
    obviously, the LBS varies greatly in quality as well.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    news:p[email protected]