Supergo RIP

On 14 Jan 2006 13:52:19 -0800, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Arthur Harris wrote:
>> "Ozark Bicycle" wrote:
>>
>> > I wonder if Nashbar is nextfor the scrap heap?

>> Somehow I don't think so. I hope not anyway.
>>

>Yeah, me, too. I find Nashbar far more useful than either Performance
>or SG.
>

>> Remember when Supergo was Bikecology?
>>

>I forgot about that!
>
>But I do remember when Nashbar was Bike Warehouse. :)

Do you remember when they sold volleyball equipment?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 14 Jan 2006 13:52:19 -0800, "Ozark Bicycle"

>> But I do remember when Nashbar was Bike Warehouse. :)

> Do you remember when they sold volleyball equipment?

I just checked. My (auto-generated) bookmark for 'em is still called "Bike
and Spike Nashbar -- Cycling and Volleyball Equipment".

So it wasn't THAT long ago; I only began riding in '96.

Bill "time flies when you're...rolling?" S.

Don't know if this was mentioned yet but if you go to the old Supergo
site there is a coupon for use at performance. 10% off any purchase. I
already used it. Every dime helps :)
http://www.performancebike.com/sgo_now_perf.cfm

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> Just received an email to the effect that "Supergo.com has closed and
> is now part of Performance Bicycle". I know that they were owned by
> Performance for some time, but apparently they have decided to kill off
> the franchise. I notice that both Supergo and Nashbar have been having
> a higher than normal number of "sales" in the past year. And Nashbar
> seemed to be making an effort to clear out lots of NOS merchandise that
> seeminly had been gathering dust for years. I wonder if Nashbar is next
> for the scrap heap?

> Change of logos is more prevalent as the ATT blue disk with white
> stripes becomes a clumsy distracting pseudo spherical image of that
> logo,

Those of us in the business refer to that logo as the "flaming asshole."

--
Strayhorn

“Excuse me, brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" - F.Z.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>Just received an email to the effect that "Supergo.com has closed and
>is now part of Performance Bicycle". I know that they were owned by
>Performance for some time, but apparently they have decided to kill off
>the franchise. I notice that both Supergo and Nashbar have been having
>a higher than normal number of "sales" in the past year. And Nashbar
>seemed to be making an effort to clear out lots of NOS merchandise that
>seeminly had been gathering dust for years. I wonder if Nashbar is next
>for the scrap heap?

Nashbar has been a bit lately. They run the same blow out sales all the time.
They raise prices so that they can claim items are on sale later on. Many
times they have multiple sale prices. I have timed some sales with coupons and
gotten really good prices on some stuff. I liked the old Nashbar. They had
consistently low prices, instead of the ocassional low sale price.
--------------
Alex

Sorni wrote:

> I just checked. My (auto-generated) bookmark for 'em is still called "Bike and Spike Nashbar -- Cycling and Volleyball Equipment".

> So it wasn't THAT long ago; I only began riding in '96.

I don't remember that. But in the late '70s, Nashbar was Bike
Warehouse. And for a while, part of the catalog was called "Ski
Warehouse" with XC ski gear. That was when the catalog was newsprint
and only one color.

Art Harris

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> >

> >Just received an email to the effect that "Supergo.com has closed and
> >is now part of Performance Bicycle". I know that they were owned by
> >Performance for some time, but apparently they have decided to kill off
> >the franchise. I notice that both Supergo and Nashbar have been having
> >a higher than normal number of "sales" in the past year. And Nashbar
> >seemed to be making an effort to clear out lots of NOS merchandise that
> >seeminly had been gathering dust for years. I wonder if Nashbar is next
> >for the scrap heap?

> Nashbar has been a bit lately. They run the same blow out sales all the time.
> They raise prices so that they can claim items are on sale later on. Many
> times they have multiple sale prices. I have timed some sales with coupons and
> gotten really good prices on some stuff. I liked the old Nashbar. They had
> consistently low prices, instead of the ocassional low sale price.

I've also noticed that their prices fluctuate, even on discontinued
items (e.g., an NOS saddle might be $30 bucks one day, $40 a few days
later, then back to $30). I suspect this has to do both with inventory
levels and, perhaps, timing with XX% off coupons.

I, too, liked the old Nashbar better, but I still find them useful and
hope they aren't the next victim of the Performance Empire.

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] says...
> > >

> > >Just received an email to the effect that "Supergo.com has closed and
> > >is now part of Performance Bicycle". I know that they were owned by
> > >Performance for some time, but apparently they have decided to kill off
> > >the franchise. I notice that both Supergo and Nashbar have been having
> > >a higher than normal number of "sales" in the past year. And Nashbar
> > >seemed to be making an effort to clear out lots of NOS merchandise that
> > >seeminly had been gathering dust for years. I wonder if Nashbar is next
> > >for the scrap heap?

> > Nashbar has been a bit lately. They run the same blow out sales all the time.
> > They raise prices so that they can claim items are on sale later on. Many
> > times they have multiple sale prices. I have timed some sales with coupons and
> > gotten really good prices on some stuff. I liked the old Nashbar. They had
> > consistently low prices, instead of the ocassional low sale price.
> >

> I've also noticed that their prices fluctuate, even on discontinued
> items (e.g., an NOS saddle might be $30 bucks one day, $40 a few days
> later, then back to $30). I suspect this has to do both with inventory
> levels and, perhaps, timing with XX% off coupons.
>
> I, too, liked the old Nashbar better, but I still find them useful and
> hope they aren't the next victim of the Performance Empire.

I've said it before and I will say it again. From a business
perspective it makes sense for Performance to have two sites: the main
site (Performance) to handle all the regular, current stuff, and an
outlet store. Nashbar has been the latter for at least a couple of
years now; they are the Ross or Marshall's of the on-line bike world.
I predicted, in this group, that Performance would nix the Supergo site
before it was announced; the two sites were serving the same market and
the two brands were in competition. Expect Nashbar to stay, but expect
it to be an outlet store as it has been.

- rick