Superman bars for Vision

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Geoff Adams, May 1, 2003.

  1. Geoff Adams

    Geoff Adams Guest

    Folks,

    I stumbled across a web site recently that offered a way to modify a Vision OSS bike so that the
    handlebars were in the aero/superman position rather than the praying hamster position. I lost the
    link. Anybody know about this? Has anybody made this kind of mod to a Vision successfully?

    Geoff Adams Providence, RI

    Tags:

  2. Snowman

    Snowman Guest

    geoff adams <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Folks,
    >
    > I stumbled across a web site recently that offered a way to modify a Vision OSS bike so that the
    > handlebars were in the aero/superman position rather than the praying hamster position. I lost the
    > link. Anybody know about this? Has anybody made this kind of mod to a Vision successfully?
    >
    > Geoff Adams Providence, RI

    1) If you did that modification then
    2) if you then used a kryptionite lock

    Would you be in a crash and burn situation?

    Snowman

  3. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    geoff adams <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Folks,
    >
    > I stumbled across a web site recently that offered a way to modify a Vision OSS bike so that the
    > handlebars were in the aero/superman position rather than the praying hamster position. I lost the
    > link. Anybody know about this? Has anybody made this kind of mod to a Vision successfully?
    >
    > Geoff Adams Providence, RI

    I'm not familiar with the reference, but Terracycle offers custom handlebars and stems for OSS
    recumbents: http://www.terracycle.com/handlebars.htm http://www.terracycle.com/steer_mast.htm

    Available through better 'bent bike sellers everywhere.

    Jeff

  4. I dont know that group eiter but i just attached Tri-athloton aero-bars to my handlebars and bring
    the steerer tube to within a hand width of my chest and voila my arms are supported from the elbows
    down. OK i need to switch back to break and change gears but stil pretty comfy. Especially i've
    found some very light foam sleeves that fit perfectly over the aero-bars

    --
    Erik Vandamme 54 Hilltop Road -Wamberal NSW 2260 Australia "geoff adams" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...
    > Folks,
    >
    > I stumbled across a web site recently that offered a way to modify a Vision OSS bike so that the
    > handlebars were in the aero/superman position rather than the praying hamster position. I lost the
    > link. Anybody know about this? Has anybody made this kind of mod to a Vision successfully?
    >
    > Geoff Adams Providence, RI

    ---

  5. Bill Anton

    Bill Anton Guest

    I have found that my stock Vision OSS bars work great in either the praying hapster OR the Superman
    position. Simply tighten up the friction adjustment to the point where the bars stay where you put
    them. That way you can get lots of hand positions on the same ride. My 3 favorites: Praying hampster
    (hands near chest, elbows down), Superman 1 (bars close to chest, elbows resting on hand grips), and
    Superman 2 (bars out vertical, arms outstretched). As long as that friction adjustment is tight, the
    bike handles very well in the Superman 2 position, however, I have to rotate my computer and GPS if
    I want to read them with the bars in this position. If I REALLY want a lot of hand positions, I
    re-install my old USS bars and stem (I call these my "drops").

    Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX

    geoff adams <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Folks,
    >
    > I stumbled across a web site recently that offered a way to modify a Vision OSS bike so that the
    > handlebars were in the aero/superman position rather than the praying hamster position. I lost the
    > link. Anybody know about this? Has anybody made this kind of mod to a Vision successfully?
    >
    > Geoff Adams Providence, RI

  6. Gary

    Gary Guest

    > I'm not familiar with the reference, but Terracycle offers custom handlebars and stems for OSS
    > recumbents: http://www.terracycle.com/handlebars.htm http://www.terracycle.com/steer_mast.htm
    >
    > Available through better 'bent bike sellers everywhere.
    >
    > Jeff

    The new OSS conversion kit for Vision is, in fact, a TerraCycle set-up. I had thought about getting
    the TerraCycle bar and stem (from Hostel Shoppe) for my R44 but decided to just go ahead and get the
    Vision since it was ~$50 less. When it arrived it was the TerraCycle version so I looked on Vision's
    web site and noticed the new bikes come with that bar now. Hostel Shoppe still shows the old Vision
    bar on the web site but it's not up to date (at least last time I looked, it wasn't).

  7. Geoff Adams

    Geoff Adams Guest

    Folks,

    Thanks for all the advice and ideas regarding Vision OSS bars. Lots of possibilities.

    -geoff