Supermarket stands

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 17:47:43 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

>There was a thread regarding supermarket bike parking facilities last month, so I thought I'd see
>what our local stores provided:

Hi Simon

Your local Somerfield store has ... let me do the calculation ... three more stands than mine. OTOH,
there is a large Sheffield Stand-style chunk of metal outside my local shop; it's used to corral
shopping trolleys and makes an adequate bike rack.

OTOH (the other, other hand), my local Halfords, who should know better, has a measly handful of
front wheel breakers. I do similarly to the owner of the bike in your photo and use up the entire
row with just one bike. It's a bit of a shame really as my local Halfords is in a quite large
complex where the is ample room for bike stands. (Bike hut, yes; bike stand, no.)

James

PS Halfords sells bikes, in case you were unaware.

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

>There was a thread regarding supermarket bike parking facilities last month, so I thought I'd see
>what our local stores provided:

I love the design of the Asda car park, although I can well imagine two mothers walking side by side
on the path and cycle lane chatting, and oblivious to the cyclist wanting to get past.
--
remove remove to reply

"Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >There was a thread regarding supermarket bike parking facilities last
month,
> >so I thought I'd see what our local stores provided:
>
> I love the design of the Asda car park, although I can well imagine two mothers walking side by
> side on the path and cycle lane chatting, and oblivious to the cyclist wanting to get past.

It's not too bad for this reason. As you can see, drivers do not reverse park into the spaces, so
they end up pushing their trolleys along the road (not the path) and then loading their boots in
the middle of the road, instead of the from the safety of the path. They then have to back out half
blind. This bizarre practice prompted me to produce this safety page for my workmates.

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zparking.htm

> It's not too bad for this reason. As you can see, drivers do not reverse park into the spaces, so
> they end up pushing their trolleys along the road (not the path) and then loading their boots in
> the middle of the road, instead of the from the safety of the path. They then have to back out
> half blind. This bizarre practice prompted me to produce this safety page for my workmates.

Hilarious! But good for us cyclists.
--
remove remove to reply

> There was a thread regarding supermarket bike parking facilities last
month,
> so I thought I'd see what our local stores provided:
>
> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zsupark.htm

Interesting idea for a post. Our local tesco's had great facilities. A rack of about 6 sheffield
stands, right near the door where its light and there's usually a security guard. Due to renovations
it's since been moved down into the darkness away from the door. All my protests have gone unheeded.
They have about 150 car spots. I can only guess at the cost of that in inner london. You'd think
they'd jump at the chance to provide secure cycle parking.

"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> writed in news:[email protected]:

> There was a thread regarding supermarket bike parking facilities last month, so I thought I'd see
> what our local stores provided:
>
> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zsupark.htm

I went and complained to my local Aldi manager (Leicester, Meridian)that the stands had been
removed. He pointed out that what everyone was using as stands (near the entrance) was actually a
trolley bay - it was removed because no one used it for parking trolleys in.... He showed me the
real cycle stands, almost at the back of the store, well away from the prying eyes of anyone who
might see your bike being nicked. Oh well.

news:<[email protected]>...
> It's not too bad for this reason. As you can see, drivers do not reverse park into the spaces, so
> they end up pushing their trolleys along the road (not the path) and then loading their boots in
> the middle of the road, instead of the from the safety of the path. They then have to back out
> half blind. This bizarre practice prompted me to produce this safety page for my workmates.
>
> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zparking.htm

I remember you posting about this page a while back and thought what you were saying made good sense
(but maybe wasn't a big enough deal to get worked up enough to make a web page about it). Since then
whenever I've been to various supermarkets, furniture shops etc. I've noticed that the layout of
carpark that lends itself to boot loading from a pedestrian area is pretty much a rarity (at least
around here). The overwhelming majority seem to have the higher parking density layout where the
only real way to park is nose to nose. That way you have to load from the road or try to squeeze in
a 6" gap to open your boot (but you can never get your trolley down that gap at the side anyway).

Is this issue perhaps your own version of P**l S***h's problem with speed cameras? ;-)

Have fun!

Graeme

"Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zparking.htm
>
> I remember you posting about this page a while back

(same gag, different punter :)

and thought what
> you were saying made good sense (but maybe wasn't a big enough deal to get worked up enough to
> make a web page about it).
Since then whenever
> I've been to various supermarkets, furniture shops etc. I've noticed that the layout of carpark
> that lends itself to boot loading from a pedestrian area is pretty much a rarity (at least around
> here). The overwhelming majority seem to have the higher parking density layout where the only
> real way to park is nose to nose. That way you have to load from the road or try to squeeze in a
> 6" gap to open your boot (but you can never get your trolley down that gap at the side anyway).

Agreed, but my point was that *even when* it is safer and easier to load from a path, then drive
out forwards, no one does it anyway.

> Is this issue perhaps your own version of P**l S***h's problem with speed cameras? ;-)

No heaven forbid, it was prompted by watching two cars reverse into each other in a car park, so I
thought I'd pass it on to my workmates.

news:<[email protected]>... <snip my waffle>
> Agreed, but my point was that *even when* it is safer and easier to load from a path, then drive
> out forwards, no one does it anyway.

Fair enough, I must admit that I probably parked nose in most of the time previously, but since
reading your page I've changed to reverse parking when it makes sense. Whether this puts me in
the "always willing to learn" or the "hasn't got a mind of his own" category I'll leave others
to judge :)

> > Is this issue perhaps your own version of P**l S***h's problem with speed cameras? ;-)
>
> No heaven forbid, it was prompted by watching two cars reverse into each other in a car park, so
> I thought I'd pass it on to my workmates.

Aah, that's very simple to explain. Cars only have one, fairly low ratio reverse gear[1] so highly
skilled drivers can't drive fast enough in reverse to maintain concentration, so accidents are
inevitable! :)

Have fun!

Graeme

[1] Ignoring things like Landys with 15 different gears for each of their 4 gear boxes :)

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> signs his messages

> A credit limit is NOT a target.

A bit OT, but yer signature always makes me chuckle lol.... Love it....

James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 17:47:43 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >There was a thread regarding supermarket bike parking facilities last
month,
> >so I thought I'd see what our local stores provided:
> >

> Hi Simon
>
> Your local Somerfield store has ... let me do the calculation ... three more stands than mine.
> OTOH, there is a large Sheffield Stand-style chunk of metal outside my local shop; it's used to
> corral shopping trolleys and makes an adequate bike rack.
>
> OTOH (the other, other hand), my local Halfords, who should know better, has a measly handful of
> front wheel breakers. I do similarly to the owner of the bike in your photo and use up the entire
> row with just one bike. It's a bit of a shame really as my local Halfords is in a quite large
> complex where the is ample room for bike stands. (Bike hut, yes; bike stand, no.)

The college I attend has a crappy exposed to rain front wheel braker stand. Its not the best area of
town and quite open to theft.

I arrived one week impressed to see a large bus shelter perspex structure. Excellent I thought,
secure dry bike rack, er no. It was a new smoking shelter.

Strange priorities indeed.

Andrew

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:29:30 -0000, "Adam Porter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> A credit limit is NOT a target.
>
>A bit OT, but yer signature always makes me chuckle lol.... Love it....

Glad you like it. Actually, I semi-nicked the sig. A few years ago I was watching a TV program about
'80 music. Steve Strange's manager, who was being intervieved, apparently said something along the
lines of my sig to him (Strange).

It fits the bill for me too but with a far, far lower credit limit.

Getting back OnT, I'm not too fussed really what type of stand is outside any shop as long as a
place to lock to is provided.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.