Supper Tonight

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mr Libido Incognito, Sep 14, 2005.

  1. I was tired of the same old veggies, brocolli, cauliflower, green beans. It
    seemed I'd been eating them for months...

    So tonight was a change I sauted in a little canola oil a mixed bag of
    veggies...Bok Choy, brocolli, grape tomatoes and button mushrooms, all
    lightly salted and peppered with 1 mince garlic clove. I resisted the
    temptation to sprinkle almond slices all over it. It was a good change
    around and went well with the Boston butt pork steak. I used that trinadad
    penzey's blend the lemon garlic on the pork steak. It seems to be tasty on
    pork.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

    Tags:

  2. vega

    vega Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:12:31 -0000, Mr Libido Incognito
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I was tired of the same old veggies, brocolli, cauliflower, green beans. It
    >seemed I'd been eating them for months...
    >
    >So tonight was a change I sauted in a little canola oil a mixed bag of
    >veggies...Bok Choy, brocolli, grape tomatoes and button mushrooms, all
    >lightly salted and peppered with 1 mince garlic clove. I resisted the
    >temptation to sprinkle almond slices all over it. It was a good change
    >around and went well with the Boston butt pork steak. I used that trinadad
    >penzey's blend the lemon garlic on the pork steak. It seems to be tasty on
    >pork.

    Sounds yummy!

    I'm making a Marinara suace right now. Spagetti tonight!

  3. Ward Abbott

    Ward Abbott Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I was tired of the same old veggies, brocolli, cauliflower, green beans. It
    >seemed I'd been eating them for months...

    When you shop and continue to buy the same ingredients...you end up
    with the same meal.

    Expand your horizons and intentionally buy three different/new items
    every week while shopping.

  4. We might have spaghetti, but I think Crash will have to cook it. I feel
    *horrible* today. Every molecule hurts.

    For sure, we're baking brownies. In honor of Crash's late mother's
    birthday.

    Here's a link to his mom's picture and various other relatives, if anyone
    is interested:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/album?.dir=/1964&.src=ph

    Maybe we'll just have brownies for dinner.

    Carol, crawling back to bed

  5. vega

    vega Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:25:31 GMT, Ward Abbott <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:12:31 -0000, Mr Libido Incognito
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I was tired of the same old veggies, brocolli, cauliflower, green beans. It
    >>seemed I'd been eating them for months...

    >When you shop and continue to buy the same ingredients...you end up
    >with the same meal.
    >
    >Expand your horizons and intentionally buy three different/new items
    >every week while shopping.

    I have a friend who thinks I can make ANYTHING at the drop of a hat
    (his perception, not mine). He has had dinner with us more times than
    I can count. He is the 1st one to say his cooking ability is making a
    passable ham sandwich.

    Just for fun, we agreed that he would go shopping and bring it all
    back, I would cook using what ever he purchased (I could use what ever
    I had in the house such as seasonings and stock).

    Oh boy did we expand our horizons !

    If ya wanna hear what I made, let me know. I don't wanna boar (sp)
    anyone.

  6. vega

    vega Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:40:18 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >We might have spaghetti, but I think Crash will have to cook it. I feel
    >*horrible* today. Every molecule hurts.
    >
    >For sure, we're baking brownies. In honor of Crash's late mother's
    >birthday.
    >
    >Here's a link to his mom's picture and various other relatives, if anyone
    >is interested:
    >http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/album?.dir=/1964&.src=ph
    >
    >Maybe we'll just have brownies for dinner.
    >
    >Carol, crawling back to bed

    Awww. Thanks for sharing. Look like a bunch of nice folks. How come
    your pick isn't up there?

    Hope you feel much better soon.

  7. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Maybe we'll just have brownies for dinner.

    Brownies?? Ahhhhh! Just kidding, I finished off my lunch
    today with a huge dessert that involved 3 or 4 pieces of
    unbelievably fudgy brownies with caramel sauce, chocolate
    sauce, with ice cream and some kind of whipped cream.

    This after a lunch of beef fajitas in the noisy Rainforest Cafe
    in Atlantic City (it was really noisy as Stan said, noisier than
    last time I was there). The beef was excellent but the tortilla
    wraps ... how can I say ... stunk and tasted like crap and
    didn't hold together for nothing. Strangest thing, how do you
    mess up tortillas?

    So after eating all that (unwrapped fajitas with all the toppings)
    and doing some damage to the dessert (it was for 2 or more,
    and they aren't kidding), the waitress said, wow you ate more
    than most people (both of us, not just me). Someone should
    tell her that many woman would not consider that to be a
    compliment. I just laughed, she doesn't know I've been trying
    to put on weight.

    But I could use to not look at another brownie in some time
    now.

    Happy Birthday, Crash's late mother!

    nancy

  8. Jude

    Jude Guest

    vega wrote:
    >I have a friend who thinks I can make ANYTHING at the drop of a hat
    > (his perception, not mine). He has had dinner with us more times than
    > I can count. He is the 1st one to say his cooking ability is making a
    > passable ham sandwich.
    >
    > Just for fun, we agreed that he would go shopping and bring it all
    > back, I would cook using what ever he purchased (I could use what ever
    > I had in the house such as seasonings and stock).
    >
    > Oh boy did we expand our horizons !
    >
    > If ya wanna hear what I made, let me know. I don't wanna boar (sp)
    > anyone.

    OK., you made me curious. I wann a know!

  9. On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:12:31 -0000, Mr Libido Incognito
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    I used that trinadad
    >penzey's blend the lemon garlic on the pork steak. It seems to be tasty on
    >pork.

    Would that be good on a roasted chicken too?

    I ask, cause I stopped in Scottsdale, AZ on the way back from NM, and
    replenished my spices. I got some of that while I was there.

    And I just happen to have one of those "smart chickens" now in my
    fridge, ready to roast. I was going to cook it the Marcella Hazan
    way, with 2 lemons in the cavity, but now I am wondering if that
    seasoning would be good with it.

    Christine

  10. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I was tired of the same old veggies, brocolli, cauliflower, green beans. It
    > seemed I'd been eating them for months...
    >
    > So tonight was a change I sauted in a little canola oil a mixed bag of
    > veggies...Bok Choy, brocolli, grape tomatoes and button mushrooms, all
    > lightly salted and peppered with 1 mince garlic clove. I resisted the
    > temptation to sprinkle almond slices all over it. It was a good change
    > around and went well with the Boston butt pork steak. I used that trinadad
    > penzey's blend the lemon garlic on the pork steak. It seems to be tasty on
    > pork.

    This time of year I leave the Wok out either on the stove or on the side burner
    of the gas grill. I also try to keep a head or cabbage of some sort - green -
    red - Napa etc. Some shredded cabbage and onion and what ever else is handy
    makes a great stir fry - this last weekend I did onion, cabbage, and apple with
    some caraway seed and a whisper of white wine vinegar - It also is a great use
    for the left over steamed rice we always have from the Chinese take out.

    Dimitri

  11. vega

    vega Guest

    On 14 Sep 2005 16:27:46 -0700, "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >vega wrote:
    >>I have a friend who thinks I can make ANYTHING at the drop of a hat
    >> (his perception, not mine). He has had dinner with us more times than
    >> I can count. He is the 1st one to say his cooking ability is making a
    >> passable ham sandwich.
    >>
    >> Just for fun, we agreed that he would go shopping and bring it all
    >> back, I would cook using what ever he purchased (I could use what ever
    >> I had in the house such as seasonings and stock).
    >>
    >> Oh boy did we expand our horizons !
    >>
    >> If ya wanna hear what I made, let me know. I don't wanna boar (sp)
    >> anyone.

    >OK., you made me curious. I wann a know!

    I didn't use everything he brought back. But he thought he would mess
    me up real good with chicken livers, spinach, onion, garlic, bacon,
    yogert, flank steak, garlic, carrots, eggs, doughnuts, raisens and
    romano cheese.

    He challenged me to "make it so". See, he thought I would feel the
    need to combine everything together to make one dish. WRONG!

    Heheheheh

    I marinaded the checken livers in sake (I always have it) and
    Fairbanks Sherry, five spice, and some garlic for about 2 hours.
    Rapped it in bacon, tossed it in corn starch (optional), and deep
    fried it. Rumaki !

    Pounded out the flank steak, saute'ed the onion, swetted a lot of
    garlic, chopped 1/2 the spinach. I laid down the flank, buttered it on
    the "up side". spred on top of it the onion, rasins, garlic, romano,
    spinach and julli'ed some carrots. Seasoned with some basil, thyme,
    black pepper, and salt. I rolled it up and roasted in the oven at
    about 250.

    Hard boiled some eggs, used the rest of the spinich, onion, garlic
    some teryaki, mirin, and some ginger I had. That was a salid.

    Doughnuts were desert.

    It was FUN!

  12. vega

    vega Guest

    >This time of year I leave the Wok out either on the stove or on the side burner
    >of the gas grill.

    SNIP

    My brother inlaw told me he saw Alton Browne use the base part of a
    turkey frier as a burner for a wok. I decided to give it a try and man
    does it work well!. Heat much higher than your gas stove can attain!
    Chi. rest. have a 10" gas pipe coming in. That gets real hot. The
    turky burner gets close. Of course it should only be used outside.

    Also, IMHO, Wok popcorn. More, faster, cheaper, than any microwave
    bag!

  13. Jude

    Jude Guest

    vega wrote:
    <snip>

    > I didn't use everything he brought back. But he thought he would mess
    > me up real good with chicken livers, spinach, onion, garlic, bacon,
    > yogert, flank steak, garlic, carrots, eggs, doughnuts, raisens and
    > romano cheese.

    <snip>
    > I marinaded the checken livers in sake (I always have it) and
    > Fairbanks Sherry, five spice, and some garlic for about 2 hours.
    > Rapped it in bacon, tossed it in corn starch (optional), and deep
    > fried it. Rumaki !
    >
    > Pounded out the flank steak, saute'ed the onion, swetted a lot of
    > garlic, chopped 1/2 the spinach. I laid down the flank, buttered it on
    > the "up side". spred on top of it the onion, rasins, garlic, romano,
    > spinach and julli'ed some carrots. Seasoned with some basil, thyme,
    > black pepper, and salt. I rolled it up and roasted in the oven at
    > about 250.
    >
    > Hard boiled some eggs, used the rest of the spinich, onion, garlic
    > some teryaki, mirin, and some ginger I had. That was a salid.
    >
    > Doughnuts were desert.
    >
    > It was FUN!

    Shame on you! You didn't use the yogurt!

  14. vega

    vega Guest

    SNIP

    >Shame on you! You didn't use the yogurt!

    Well I said I didn't use every.....

    OK, I snorted it :)~

  15. Christine Dabney wrote on 14 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    > On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:12:31 -0000, Mr Libido Incognito
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > I used that trinadad
    > >penzey's blend the lemon garlic on the pork steak. It seems to be
    > >tasty on pork.

    > Would that be good on a roasted chicken too?
    >
    > I ask, cause I stopped in Scottsdale, AZ on the way back from NM, and
    > replenished my spices. I got some of that while I was there.
    >
    > And I just happen to have one of those "smart chickens" now in my
    > fridge, ready to roast. I was going to cook it the Marcella Hazan
    > way, with 2 lemons in the cavity, but now I am wondering if that
    > seasoning would be good with it.
    >
    > Christine

    I find thin slices of lime under the skin are better than lemons up the
    bung hole. That trinadad is ok om chicken, but nothing to write home about

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

  16. Jude

    Jude Guest

    vega wrote:
    > SNIP
    >
    > >Shame on you! You didn't use the yogurt!

    > Well I said I didn't use every.....
    >
    > OK, I snorted it :)~

    well, silly, you coulda made it into a salad dressing.....

  17. vega

    vega Guest

    On 14 Sep 2005 18:24:28 -0700, "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >vega wrote:
    >> SNIP
    >>
    >> >Shame on you! You didn't use the yogurt!

    >> Well I said I didn't use every.....
    >>
    >> OK, I snorted it :)~

    >well, silly, you coulda made it into a salad dressing.....

    True. But gzzz, I was tired :)

    Besides, it was great later:)

  18. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I was tired of the same old veggies, brocolli, cauliflower, green beans.
    > It
    > seemed I'd been eating them for months...
    >
    > So tonight was a change I sauted in a little canola oil a mixed bag of
    > veggies...Bok Choy, brocolli, grape tomatoes and button mushrooms, all
    > lightly salted and peppered with 1 mince garlic clove. I resisted the
    > temptation to sprinkle almond slices all over it. It was a good change
    > around and went well with the Boston butt pork steak. I used that trinadad
    > penzey's blend the lemon garlic on the pork steak. It seems to be tasty on
    > pork.

    I made pork tonight too. Pork loin chops sautéed with lemon pepper and
    onion, then made a pan gravy and some brown rice to go under it. Asparagus
    and corn for veggies. Now if only my DH would get his late self home so we
    can eat! lol

    kimberly

  19. vega <[email protected]> said:

    > On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:40:18 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >We might have spaghetti, but I think Crash will have to cook it. I feel
    > >*horrible* today. Every molecule hurts.
    > >
    > >For sure, we're baking brownies. In honor of Crash's late mother's
    > >birthday.
    > >
    > >Here's a link to his mom's picture and various other relatives, if anyone
    > >is interested:
    > >http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/album?.dir=/1964&.src=ph
    > >
    > >Maybe we'll just have brownies for dinner.
    > >
    > >Carol, crawling back to bed

    > Awww. Thanks for sharing. Look like a bunch of nice folks. How come
    > your pick isn't up there?

    I'm not in that particular album because I'm not deceased yet. Here are
    more pictures than you'd ever want to see:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

    > Hope you feel much better soon.

    Thanks. I appreciate that.

    Carol

  20. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I was tired of the same old veggies, brocolli, cauliflower, green beans. It
    >seemed I'd been eating them for months...

    Switch to beets!

    >So tonight was a change I sauted in a little canola oil a mixed bag of
    >veggies...Bok Choy, brocolli, grape tomatoes and button mushrooms, all
    >lightly salted and peppered with 1 mince garlic clove. I resisted the
    >temptation to sprinkle almond slices all over it. It was a good change
    >around and went well with the Boston butt pork steak. I used that trinadad
    >penzey's blend the lemon garlic on the pork steak. It seems to be tasty on
    >pork.

    What I did was reduce some heavy cream in a frying pan, add pesto from
    the freezer, then some imitation crab (leftover from making California
    rolls) and heat for a few more minutes. This seafood pesto cream
    sauce was used to dress vermicelli. Vegetable = green beans.
    Dessert: an eclair from the bakery. (Before dinner, I "sampled" the
    lemon pundcake I made this afternoon.).

    Sue(tm)