Supper Tonight

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mr Libido Incognito, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. Pork steak,rubbed with a penzeys lemon grlic blend, pan fried.
    Sliced fresh mushrooms and yellow onions pan fried in butter.
    french cut green beans, nuked.

    very satisfying

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

    Tags:

  2. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    > Pork steak,rubbed with a penzeys lemon grlic blend, pan fried.
    > Sliced fresh mushrooms and yellow onions pan fried in butter.
    > french cut green beans, nuked.
    >
    > very satisfying

    Sounds good. We had chicken livers, done with fresh garlic, onions and
    tomatoes.

    I have heard a lot about "Penzeys" on this NG, but not living in the
    States, I have never tried them. Are their products that good? I had a
    look at their website and I see they do ship stuff outside the States.
    The trouble with most of the "savoury" spices and seasonings we get
    here is that they are full of MSG. Yuk. The dried herbs are not too
    bad, though.

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Pork steak,rubbed with a penzeys lemon grlic blend, pan fried.
    > Sliced fresh mushrooms and yellow onions pan fried in butter.
    > french cut green beans, nuked.
    >
    > very satisfying

    We had tacos from an Ortega kit, plus a southwestern-styled couscous salad
    (w/ black beans, corn, red bell pepper, green onion, cilantro, purple onion,
    lime juice, a few spices) and green beans. Ortega tacos are not the
    greatest dinner in my book, but my 8-year-old loves them. He said, "These
    are the best tacos I've ever had!" I used Morningstar soy crumbles instead
    of meat, so I was pretty pleased by that comment. Hope my husband doesn't
    notice the substitution when he gets home!

    Lunch was really good -- I went to Noodles and had the Thai Curry Soup w/
    tofu. It was pretty good, but I had to add a lot of hot sauce. Could've
    used a sqeeze of fresh lime, too. I was too ravenous to bother going up to
    the counter to ask for a piece of lime, though. In fact, I got hungry again
    an hour or so later and had a second lunch at a friend's house -- really
    good turkey sandwiches on ciabatta bread with cheddar and some unidentified
    beet-colored sauce (the sandwiches were from Whole Foods).

    Tomorrow I'll cook something decent.

    Chris

  4. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Pork steak,rubbed with a penzeys lemon grlic blend, pan fried.
    > Sliced fresh mushrooms and yellow onions pan fried in butter.
    > french cut green beans, nuked.
    >
    > very satisfying

    Supper tonight:
    NY steaks -- too thick, DH likes medium rare. Cooked in cast-iron skilled
    med-high, but it was too rare at the end of cooking time.
    Made oven-fried potatoes according to Cooks Illustrated recommendation.
    Pretty good. I didn't need catsup to eat them.
    Steamed broccoli crowns.
    Italian Wine, French Compte cheese, very small toasted home-made waffle.

    Ready to watch a DVD movie.
    Dee Dee

  5. Jude

    Jude Guest

    We had my attempts at Chinese cooking: fried rice sprinkled with sesame
    seeds and cashew nuts, mu-shu vegetables (from an awesome recipe in
    this month's Gourmet magazine), baked marinated teriyaki tofu, and a
    salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, scallions, and a great bottled
    ginger dressing. It turned out really good. I'll definitely keep the
    mu-shu recipe; that's one of my favorfite order-in dinners, and I never
    realized how easy it was!

  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > We had my attempts at Chinese cooking: fried rice sprinkled with sesame
    > seeds and cashew nuts, mu-shu vegetables (from an awesome recipe in
    > this month's Gourmet magazine), baked marinated teriyaki tofu, and a
    > salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, scallions, and a great bottled
    > ginger dressing. It turned out really good. I'll definitely keep the
    > mu-shu recipe; that's one of my favorfite order-in dinners, and I never
    > realized how easy it was!

    Jude -- did you follow the mu-shu recipe exactly? I saw that recipe (just
    got my first copy of Gourmet!), and thought it looked interesting. But I
    wondered if you had tweaked the recipe more to your liking at all (other
    than omitting the veggies).
    Chris

  7. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > We had my attempts at Chinese cooking: fried rice sprinkled with sesame
    > > seeds and cashew nuts, mu-shu vegetables (from an awesome recipe in
    > > this month's Gourmet magazine), baked marinated teriyaki tofu, and a
    > > salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, scallions, and a great bottled
    > > ginger dressing. It turned out really good. I'll definitely keep the
    > > mu-shu recipe; that's one of my favorfite order-in dinners, and I never
    > > realized how easy it was!
    > >

    > Jude -- did you follow the mu-shu recipe exactly? I saw that recipe (just
    > got my first copy of Gourmet!), and thought it looked interesting. But I
    > wondered if you had tweaked the recipe more to your liking at all (other
    > than omitting the veggies).
    > Chris

    I don't know a heck of a lot about Chinese cooking and the balances
    between flavors,so I pretty much followed it exacctly. I used half a
    bag of coleslaw and half a bag of broccoli slaw, and added a can of
    sliced waterchestnuts after the cabbage mix had steamed. We skipped the
    chicken and added tofu but other than that it was pretty much exact. I
    don't think it needs much tweaking, though. It was really good. I
    highly reccomend you try it if you're a mu-shu fan!!

    My daughter thought so too, but she was a bit of an eating adventure!
    She didnt want her mu-shu wrapped up with scalloins and hosin sauce;
    she wanted to eat the veggies solo. Fine with me. But she was using her
    Clothespin Chopsticks from her Christmas stocking for the first time,
    and pretty much ate the cabbage strand by strand. And the fried rice -
    grain by grain. My daughter is the world's slowest eater. It took her
    almost 50 minutes to finish dinner. Largely because of the chopsticks.
    But heck - she was enjoying herself and her dinner.

    (She gets dessert if she's finished in 35 mins or less. She has to
    learn to accomodate the half-hour lunch at school, camp, and her future
    workplaces.Don't nag me about digestion.)

    Gung hay fat choy!

  8. modom

    modom Guest

    On 1 Feb 2006 16:36:54 -0800, "cathyxyz" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    >> Pork steak,rubbed with a penzeys lemon grlic blend, pan fried.
    >> Sliced fresh mushrooms and yellow onions pan fried in butter.
    >> french cut green beans, nuked.
    >>
    >> very satisfying

    >Sounds good. We had chicken livers, done with fresh garlic, onions and
    >tomatoes.
    >
    >I have heard a lot about "Penzeys" on this NG, but not living in the
    >States, I have never tried them. Are their products that good? I had a
    >look at their website and I see they do ship stuff outside the States.
    >The trouble with most of the "savoury" spices and seasonings we get
    >here is that they are full of MSG. Yuk. The dried herbs are not too
    >bad, though.
    >
    >Cheers
    >Cathy(xyz)

    It might be a worthwhile experiment to place a modest order with
    Penzy's unless shipping to South Africa is ridiculously expensive.
    Their stuff is really very good usually. OTOH, you could very likely
    make many of their blends yourself with a little trial and error.

    modom

  9. cathyxyz wrote on 01 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    > > Pork steak,rubbed with a penzeys lemon grlic blend, pan fried.
    > > Sliced fresh mushrooms and yellow onions pan fried in butter.
    > > french cut green beans, nuked.
    > >
    > > very satisfying

    > Sounds good. We had chicken livers, done with fresh garlic, onions and
    > tomatoes.
    >
    > I have heard a lot about "Penzeys" on this NG, but not living in the
    > States, I have never tried them. Are their products that good? I had a
    > look at their website and I see they do ship stuff outside the States.
    > The trouble with most of the "savoury" spices and seasonings we get
    > here is that they are full of MSG. Yuk. The dried herbs are not too
    > bad, though.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Cathy(xyz)

    If you eat pork may I suggest theie ozark blend...very nice
    The lemon garlic blend is called trinadad something. nice on pork,
    roasyer taters and chicken.

    I don't live in the States, but in Canada. I do enjoy their spice blends
    though.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

  10. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My daughter thought so too, but she was a bit of an eating adventure!
    > She didnt want her mu-shu wrapped up with scalloins and hosin sauce;
    > she wanted to eat the veggies solo. Fine with me. But she was using her
    > Clothespin Chopsticks from her Christmas stocking for the first time,
    > and pretty much ate the cabbage strand by strand. And the fried rice -
    > grain by grain. My daughter is the world's slowest eater. It took her
    > almost 50 minutes to finish dinner. Largely because of the chopsticks.
    > But heck - she was enjoying herself and her dinner.

    That gave me a chuckle...reminds me of the first few times I used
    chopsticks. But hey, she ate it!!

    > (She gets dessert if she's finished in 35 mins or less. She has to
    > learn to accomodate the half-hour lunch at school, camp, and her future
    > workplaces.Don't nag me about digestion.)

    Wow. I always had to be encouraged to slow it down as a kid. Is she thin?
    She's about 9, if I remember correctly?

    > Gung hay fat choy!

    Same back at ya (I think -- not sure what that means...wait, did you just
    call me a terrible name or something?)

    Chris

  11. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    modom wrote:

    > It might be a worthwhile experiment to place a modest order with
    > Penzy's unless shipping to South Africa is ridiculously expensive.
    > Their stuff is really very good usually. OTOH, you could very likely
    > make many of their blends yourself with a little trial and error.
    >
    > modom

    I might just treat myself, one of these days. We do like experimenting
    with various fresh stuff though. We are lucky enough to have quite a
    nice herb garden and we grow our own chilies! We can also get most of
    the "fresh" ingredients for seasonings at the local markets.

    But we do have one smallish company here called Ina Paarman's Kitchen
    that has good spices and seasonings. The product range is nowhere near
    as big as Penzeys, of course, but they are still pretty good - and no
    MSG. But the "bigger" companies here still use far too much MSG for my
    liking.

    --
    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  12. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

    > If you eat pork may I suggest theie ozark blend...very nice
    > The lemon garlic blend is called trinadad something. nice on pork,
    > roasyer taters and chicken.
    >
    > I don't live in the States, but in Canada. I do enjoy their spice blends
    > though.

    Yes, we like pork. Thanks.... I will keep your suggestions in mind if I
    decide to treat myself.

    --
    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  13. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > > (She gets dessert if she's finished in 35 mins or less. She has to
    > > learn to accomodate the half-hour lunch at school, camp, and her future
    > > workplaces.Don't nag me about digestion.)

    > Wow. I always had to be encouraged to slow it down as a kid. Is she thin?
    > She's about 9, if I remember correctly?
    > >
    > > Gung hay fat choy!

    > Same back at ya (I think -- not sure what that means...wait, did you just
    > call me a terrible name or something?)
    >
    > Chris

    Mt daughter is 9, and she has difficulty at mealtiems becasue she's so
    busy telling the world about every single minute detail of her day that
    she forgets to eat. Usually she can be found with empty fork in hand,
    pontificating about whatever's on her mind and using the empty fork to
    punctuate her gestures. You can tell she doesn't come from one of those
    families where she's fighting with the siblings for seconds!! She took
    my Mom's lessons about sitting down together as a family at mealtime
    and sharing the highlights of your day a little TOO much to
    heart........

    And I wished you a happy Chinese New Year. We didn't go out this year,
    so this meal was our celebration. No dragon dance here, though.