Supper Tonight

Mr Libido Incognito

Guest
Pork steak,rubbed with a penzeys lemon grlic blend, pan fried.
Sliced fresh mushrooms and yellow onions pan fried in butter.
french cut green beans, nuked.

very satisfying

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Pork steak,rubbed with a penzeys lemon grlic blend, pan fried.
> Sliced fresh mushrooms and yellow onions pan fried in butter.
> french cut green beans, nuked.
>
> very satisfying

Sounds good. We had chicken livers, done with fresh garlic, onions and
tomatoes.

I have heard a lot about "Penzeys" on this NG, but not living in the
States, I have never tried them. Are their products that good? I had a
look at their website and I see they do ship stuff outside the States.
The trouble with most of the "savoury" spices and seasonings we get
here is that they are full of MSG. Yuk. The dried herbs are not too
bad, though.

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

"Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Pork steak,rubbed with a penzeys lemon grlic blend, pan fried.
> Sliced fresh mushrooms and yellow onions pan fried in butter.
> french cut green beans, nuked.
>
> very satisfying

We had tacos from an Ortega kit, plus a southwestern-styled couscous salad
(w/ black beans, corn, red bell pepper, green onion, cilantro, purple onion,
lime juice, a few spices) and green beans. Ortega tacos are not the
greatest dinner in my book, but my 8-year-old loves them. He said, "These
are the best tacos I've ever had!" I used Morningstar soy crumbles instead
of meat, so I was pretty pleased by that comment. Hope my husband doesn't
notice the substitution when he gets home!

Lunch was really good -- I went to Noodles and had the Thai Curry Soup w/
tofu. It was pretty good, but I had to add a lot of hot sauce. Could've
used a sqeeze of fresh lime, too. I was too ravenous to bother going up to
the counter to ask for a piece of lime, though. In fact, I got hungry again
an hour or so later and had a second lunch at a friend's house -- really
good turkey sandwiches on ciabatta bread with cheddar and some unidentified
beet-colored sauce (the sandwiches were from Whole Foods).

Tomorrow I'll cook something decent.

Chris

"Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Pork steak,rubbed with a penzeys lemon grlic blend, pan fried.
> Sliced fresh mushrooms and yellow onions pan fried in butter.
> french cut green beans, nuked.
>
> very satisfying

Supper tonight:
NY steaks -- too thick, DH likes medium rare. Cooked in cast-iron skilled
med-high, but it was too rare at the end of cooking time.
Made oven-fried potatoes according to Cooks Illustrated recommendation.
Pretty good. I didn't need catsup to eat them.
Steamed broccoli crowns.
Italian Wine, French Compte cheese, very small toasted home-made waffle.

Ready to watch a DVD movie.
Dee Dee

We had my attempts at Chinese cooking: fried rice sprinkled with sesame
seeds and cashew nuts, mu-shu vegetables (from an awesome recipe in
this month's Gourmet magazine), baked marinated teriyaki tofu, and a
salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, scallions, and a great bottled
ginger dressing. It turned out really good. I'll definitely keep the
mu-shu recipe; that's one of my favorfite order-in dinners, and I never
realized how easy it was!

"Jude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We had my attempts at Chinese cooking: fried rice sprinkled with sesame
> seeds and cashew nuts, mu-shu vegetables (from an awesome recipe in
> this month's Gourmet magazine), baked marinated teriyaki tofu, and a
> salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, scallions, and a great bottled
> ginger dressing. It turned out really good. I'll definitely keep the
> mu-shu recipe; that's one of my favorfite order-in dinners, and I never
> realized how easy it was!

Jude -- did you follow the mu-shu recipe exactly? I saw that recipe (just
got my first copy of Gourmet!), and thought it looked interesting. But I
wondered if you had tweaked the recipe more to your liking at all (other
than omitting the veggies).
Chris

Chris wrote:
> "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > We had my attempts at Chinese cooking: fried rice sprinkled with sesame
> > seeds and cashew nuts, mu-shu vegetables (from an awesome recipe in
> > this month's Gourmet magazine), baked marinated teriyaki tofu, and a
> > salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, scallions, and a great bottled
> > ginger dressing. It turned out really good. I'll definitely keep the
> > mu-shu recipe; that's one of my favorfite order-in dinners, and I never
> > realized how easy it was!
> >

> Jude -- did you follow the mu-shu recipe exactly? I saw that recipe (just
> got my first copy of Gourmet!), and thought it looked interesting. But I
> wondered if you had tweaked the recipe more to your liking at all (other
> than omitting the veggies).
> Chris

I don't know a heck of a lot about Chinese cooking and the balances
between flavors,so I pretty much followed it exacctly. I used half a
bag of coleslaw and half a bag of broccoli slaw, and added a can of
sliced waterchestnuts after the cabbage mix had steamed. We skipped the
chicken and added tofu but other than that it was pretty much exact. I
don't think it needs much tweaking, though. It was really good. I
highly reccomend you try it if you're a mu-shu fan!!

My daughter thought so too, but she was a bit of an eating adventure!
She didnt want her mu-shu wrapped up with scalloins and hosin sauce;
she wanted to eat the veggies solo. Fine with me. But she was using her
Clothespin Chopsticks from her Christmas stocking for the first time,
and pretty much ate the cabbage strand by strand. And the fried rice -
grain by grain. My daughter is the world's slowest eater. It took her
almost 50 minutes to finish dinner. Largely because of the chopsticks.
But heck - she was enjoying herself and her dinner.

(She gets dessert if she's finished in 35 mins or less. She has to
learn to accomodate the half-hour lunch at school, camp, and her future
workplaces.Don't nag me about digestion.)

Gung hay fat choy!

On 1 Feb 2006 16:36:54 -0800, "cathyxyz" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>> Pork steak,rubbed with a penzeys lemon grlic blend, pan fried.
>> Sliced fresh mushrooms and yellow onions pan fried in butter.
>> french cut green beans, nuked.
>>
>> very satisfying

>Sounds good. We had chicken livers, done with fresh garlic, onions and
>tomatoes.
>
>I have heard a lot about "Penzeys" on this NG, but not living in the
>States, I have never tried them. Are their products that good? I had a
>look at their website and I see they do ship stuff outside the States.
>The trouble with most of the "savoury" spices and seasonings we get
>here is that they are full of MSG. Yuk. The dried herbs are not too
>bad, though.
>
>Cheers
>Cathy(xyz)

It might be a worthwhile experiment to place a modest order with
Penzy's unless shipping to South Africa is ridiculously expensive.
Their stuff is really very good usually. OTOH, you could very likely
make many of their blends yourself with a little trial and error.

modom

cathyxyz wrote on 01 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> > Pork steak,rubbed with a penzeys lemon grlic blend, pan fried.
> > Sliced fresh mushrooms and yellow onions pan fried in butter.
> > french cut green beans, nuked.
> >
> > very satisfying

> Sounds good. We had chicken livers, done with fresh garlic, onions and
> tomatoes.
>
> I have heard a lot about "Penzeys" on this NG, but not living in the
> States, I have never tried them. Are their products that good? I had a
> look at their website and I see they do ship stuff outside the States.
> The trouble with most of the "savoury" spices and seasonings we get
> here is that they are full of MSG. Yuk. The dried herbs are not too
> bad, though.
>
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz)

If you eat pork may I suggest theie ozark blend...very nice
The lemon garlic blend is called trinadad something. nice on pork,
roasyer taters and chicken.

I don't live in the States, but in Canada. I do enjoy their spice blends
though.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

"Jude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My daughter thought so too, but she was a bit of an eating adventure!
> She didnt want her mu-shu wrapped up with scalloins and hosin sauce;
> she wanted to eat the veggies solo. Fine with me. But she was using her
> Clothespin Chopsticks from her Christmas stocking for the first time,
> and pretty much ate the cabbage strand by strand. And the fried rice -
> grain by grain. My daughter is the world's slowest eater. It took her
> almost 50 minutes to finish dinner. Largely because of the chopsticks.
> But heck - she was enjoying herself and her dinner.

That gave me a chuckle...reminds me of the first few times I used
chopsticks. But hey, she ate it!!

> (She gets dessert if she's finished in 35 mins or less. She has to
> learn to accomodate the half-hour lunch at school, camp, and her future
> workplaces.Don't nag me about digestion.)

Wow. I always had to be encouraged to slow it down as a kid. Is she thin?
She's about 9, if I remember correctly?

> Gung hay fat choy!

Same back at ya (I think -- not sure what that means...wait, did you just
call me a terrible name or something?)

Chris

modom wrote:

> It might be a worthwhile experiment to place a modest order with
> Penzy's unless shipping to South Africa is ridiculously expensive.
> Their stuff is really very good usually. OTOH, you could very likely
> make many of their blends yourself with a little trial and error.
>
> modom

I might just treat myself, one of these days. We do like experimenting
with various fresh stuff though. We are lucky enough to have quite a
nice herb garden and we grow our own chilies! We can also get most of
the "fresh" ingredients for seasonings at the local markets.

But we do have one smallish company here called Ina Paarman's Kitchen
that has good spices and seasonings. The product range is nowhere near
as big as Penzeys, of course, but they are still pretty good - and no
MSG. But the "bigger" companies here still use far too much MSG for my
liking.

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

> If you eat pork may I suggest theie ozark blend...very nice
> The lemon garlic blend is called trinadad something. nice on pork,
> roasyer taters and chicken.
>
> I don't live in the States, but in Canada. I do enjoy their spice blends
> though.

Yes, we like pork. Thanks.... I will keep your suggestions in mind if I
decide to treat myself.

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Chris wrote:

> > (She gets dessert if she's finished in 35 mins or less. She has to
> > learn to accomodate the half-hour lunch at school, camp, and her future
> > workplaces.Don't nag me about digestion.)

> Wow. I always had to be encouraged to slow it down as a kid. Is she thin?
> She's about 9, if I remember correctly?
> >
> > Gung hay fat choy!

> Same back at ya (I think -- not sure what that means...wait, did you just
> call me a terrible name or something?)
>
> Chris

Mt daughter is 9, and she has difficulty at mealtiems becasue she's so
busy telling the world about every single minute detail of her day that
she forgets to eat. Usually she can be found with empty fork in hand,
pontificating about whatever's on her mind and using the empty fork to
punctuate her gestures. You can tell she doesn't come from one of those
families where she's fighting with the siblings for seconds!! She took
my Mom's lessons about sitting down together as a family at mealtime
and sharing the highlights of your day a little TOO much to
heart........

And I wished you a happy Chinese New Year. We didn't go out this year,
so this meal was our celebration. No dragon dance here, though.