supplements to boost immune system?

meandmybike

Feb 7, 2005
What supplements (if any) do you all take to bolster your immune system?

I usually take a multivitamin and eat a balanced diet but would be interested to hear what other people do (especially if you have kids who bring home every virus/cold going from nursery/school).

meandmybike said:

I usually take a multivitamin and eat a balanced diet but would be interested to hear what other people do (especially if you have kids who bring home every virus/cold going from nursery/school).

around 1.5 g of carbohydrate per kg body mass post exercise, is about the only thing proven to improve your immune system.

meandmybike said:

Whey protein may have a beneficial effect on immune function. There isn't a whole lot of research saying this yet, but it looks promising. Wouldn't hurt to try it out.

Some docs suggest that those suffering from cancer take the amino acid glutamine to counteract atrophy and to boost the immune system but like ric said, this hasn't been 100% proven with double blind studies and such.

also assure to assume each day 1.2 - 1.5 gr protein x body mass (mass without fat! ;) ), with food.

Ciao Matteo

matteobma said:
also assure to assume each day 1.2 - 1.5 gr protein x body mass (mass without fat! ;) ), with food.

Ciao Matteo

Thanks for all the advice, folks.

My diet isn't a million miles off at the moment, though I'm definitely going to increase my carb intake.

Bee Honey. I swear by the stuff.

ric_stern/RST said:
around 1.5 g of carbohydrate per kg body mass post exercise, is about the only thing proven to improve your immune system.

Roadie_scum said:
Zinc, Vitamin C when URTI symptoms present?

my previous comment was in relation to daft notion that honey can strengthen your immune system.

my point about the carbs post exercise, was that i interpreted the original poster's question as being in relation to everyday routines, as opposed to having an URTI

i would probably take supplemental zinc and/or vit C with an URTI

meandmybike said:

Assuming you eat a balanced diet, nothing. You don't even need the vitamins if you are eating right. :)

ric_stern/RST said:
my previous comment was in relation to daft notion that honey can strengthen your immune system.

my point about the carbs post exercise, was that i interpreted the original poster's question as being in relation to everyday routines, as opposed to having an URTI

i would probably take supplemental zinc and/or vit C with an URTI

Yep. Makes sense, thanks.