supplements

s t e v e

Guest
I'm getting myself back to the gym after a bit of a break. I've been weight
lifting for a few years but have never acheived the results I've been after.
People still refer to me as the thin guy. Even my new girlfriend thought I
was a bit of a weenie until she saw me with my shirt off.

I know the main reason that I haven't been able to add much mass is my diet.
I eat healthy but tend to work excessive hours and not get the amount of
food I need to add mass. I try to add weight over the winter months and lift
heavy, which does work but when the warm weather comes and I try to get
'cut' to look better for the beach, most of the muscle mass tends to go as
well as the fat.

This year I'm setting new goals. I want 10 pounds of lean muscle mass for
the summer which I beleive is attainable because I've seen others do it.

I'm increasing my protein intake by eating eggs and pork (loin which is very
lean) as well as tuna and beans. I'm going to try to calculate if I'm
getting the optimal amount of protein.

I'm also going to push myself to lift heavier weights as I've kind of been
in a rut at the same level. I'm also not going to over do the workouts and
get lots of rest afterwards.

Does any one recommend supplements? If so, which work and which should I
stay away from.

Hello Steve,

I have only read pier review journals on studies on Creatine and/or
Caffine to have an ergogenic effect involved with resistance training.
I do not suggest combining both as it my be conterproductive. With
either supplement you will have to increase your water intake. Creatine
is more effective with a higher carbohydrate and increased calorie
diet. For the macronutirents you might want to consider maybe 55 to 60
percent carbs, protien at 1 to 1.5 grams per kilogram of total body
weight and the remainder of fat . I have a few excel spread sheets
available that can calculate your calroies based on you weight, bodyfat
percent and activity levels; as well as, resistance max estimator with
a rep/load estimator. Please inform me of how many days per week and
time per trainnig session. Feel Free to email me at [email protected]

Thank you,
V/R

Geoffrey B Miller
ISSA-CPT, SPN
APEX-Fitness Professional
NASM-CPFI
ACSM-cPT
ADUSN-HM3
UMUC(Asia)-A.A. General Curriculum

>Hello Steve,
>
>I have only read pier review journals

Is that a journal that you read to decide where to tie up your boat?

>... on studies on Creatine and/or
>Caffine to have an ergogenic effect involved with resistance training.
>I do not suggest combining both as it my be conterproductive.

If you look for something in a *peer-reviewed* journal, you might find
that use of caffeine has no significant effect, positive or negative,
on creatine pharmacokinetics:

"Dietary intake of carbohydrate and caffeine can influence creatine
pharmacokinetics by muscle clearance. However, the effects of
carbohydrate and caffeine may only inflence pharmacokinetics during
early doses (first day) when the contribution of skeletal muscle
clearance may be the greatest, as demonstrated by Steenge et al.
[Citation omitted] The increase in clearance with carbohydrate appears
to be a function of the insulin response. The evidence for an effect
of caffeine is not substantiated, and further research is needed."
Persky AM, Brazeau GA, Hochhaus G. Pharmacokinetics of the dietary
supplement creatine. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2003;42(6):557-74.

In other words, taking caffeine and creatine together is pretty much a
non-issue.

s t e v e wrote:
> I'm getting myself back to the gym after a bit of a break. I've been weight
> lifting for a few years but have never acheived the results I've been after.
> People still refer to me as the thin guy. Even my new girlfriend thought I
> was a bit of a weenie until she saw me with my shirt off.

And then you made her jealous with your man-breasts?

Hehe...welcome to MFW.

> I know the main reason that I haven't been able to add much mass is my diet.
> I eat healthy but tend to work excessive hours and not get the amount of
> food I need to add mass. I try to add weight over the winter months and lift
> heavy, which does work but when the warm weather comes and I try to get
> 'cut' to look better for the beach, most of the muscle mass tends to go as
> well as the fat.

I never understood how that's possible. Is there really such a thing
as a body which just doesn't really respond to rigorous stimulation?
More likely that you're not really exercising (unless your goals are
unrealistic to begin with -- a.k.a., Schwarzenegger-wannabe).

> This year I'm setting new goals. I want 10 pounds of lean muscle mass for
> the summer which I beleive is attainable because I've seen others do it.
>
> I'm increasing my protein intake by eating eggs and pork (loin which is very
> lean) as well as tuna and beans. I'm going to try to calculate if I'm
> getting the optimal amount of protein.
>
> I'm also going to push myself to lift heavier weights as I've kind of been
> in a rut at the same level. I'm also not going to over do the workouts and
> get lots of rest afterwards.
>
> Does any one recommend supplements? If so, which work and which should I
> stay away from.

They're all the same. Though the strawberry ones taste more like
strawberry than the chocolate ones chocolatey.

On 9 Jan 2006 13:24:28 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>And then you made her jealous with your man-breasts?

That was nothing in comparison to when she saw his vagina...

s t e v e wrote:
> but when the warm weather comes and I try to get 'cut' to look
> better for the beach, most of the muscle mass tends to go as
> well as the fat.

Thats proabably because you werent eating enough to support any muscle
gains you may have made over the winter. Clean up your eating habits
and track every calorie to find out where you went wrong.

joanne

JRH2 wrote:

> That was nothing in comparison to when she saw his vagina...

That's called a "mouth"....

I was told this by some lifters and it seems to work for me. During cutting
phase, before you do you morning cardio take this:

5 grams of glutamine.
5 grams of Branched Chain Amino Acids
1 teaspoon of flaxseed oil.

They told me that these helps keep the muscle while cutting. Also, I take
my body weight in protein a day, mostly from food, but also from whey protein
shakes. You will always lose some muscle, but you can minimize it.