Support - or slap round the chops

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Hearns, Mar 21, 2005.

  1. John Hearns wrote:
    > I need some group support.
    > Or a slap round the chops and some advice to calm down...
    >
    > Out riding, along a two-way street.
    > Come to central 'pedestrian refuge'. I move out to almost
    > (not quite) the centre of the road, to prevent cars squeezing past me.
    > I always swing in after this pinch point.
    > After the pinch, cue Golf driver beeping his horn at me.
    > I reply "Don't sound your horn at me"
    > Cue door opening, "F*** off", I think I may have done a wee sweary-word
    > in reply, and said "You won;t push me off the road".
    > Cue tosser driver pulling in at speed into sidestreet on left, getting
    > out of car to challenge me with shouting and swearing.
    > I continued on my way, eyeing up possible escape routes should he drive
    > after me. I think there was a woman with him in the car.
    >

    > Bought an Air Zound to make myself feel better.
    > And a nice Topeak barbag to boot.

    Never be afraid to refuse a fight...well done for ignoring this twat.

    Snipers two rules of fights,

    1) Don't unless there's no option not to.
    2) If you must, you don't come second.

    Sniper8052

    Advice corner:
    1) Don't try to hit the head or balls humans are very good at covering
    these points.
    2) If he can't stand he can't fight, kick his knees hard as he comes
    forward.
    3) Work in threes or more, most people can't cope with more than three
    strikes before they move backwards.
    4) Best advice "no be there" Mr Miagi...

  2. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:33:31 +0000, Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:

    > 1) Don't unless there's no option not to.
    > 2) If you must, you don't come second.
    >
    > Sniper8052

    Thankyou for that.
    I read the terrifying story of your tailgater in rec.bicycles.soc .
    You also practice what you preach, even though by all reports you're
    well able to handle yourself.

  3. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 05:22:32 +0000, Not Responding <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
    >

    >> Sniper8052
    >>
    >> Advice corner:
    >> 1) Don't try to hit the head or balls humans are very good at covering
    >> these points.
    >> 2) If he can't stand he can't fight, kick his knees hard as he comes
    >> forward.
    >> 3) Work in threes or more, most people can't cope with more than three
    >> strikes before they move backwards.
    >> 4) Best advice "no be there" Mr Miagi...

    >I don't remember subbing to uk.rec.fighting.

    The first rule of uk.rec.cycling, is no one talks about
    uk.rec.cycling.

    Tim

  4. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "Sniper8052(L96A1)" <[email protected]> wrote in news:fRI%d.100954
    [email protected]:
    > 1) Don't unless there's no option not to.

    Advice I've followed on numerous occasions, even when a heid-case was
    trying to provoke me and a friend by throwing (rather feeble) punches at
    us as I knew something else seemed iffy. I'm glad my senses were right as
    he got fed up with us ignoring him and walked off, but not before he took
    a rather nasty looking knife out of his pocket and saying "You're lucky
    you didn't fight 'coz you'd have got this stuck in ya!" The guy with the
    gun was a different matter, a handy river to push him into then a bloody
    fast sprint saved me that time.

    > Advice corner:
    > 1) Don't try to hit the head or balls humans are very good at covering
    > these points.
    > 2) If he can't stand he can't fight, kick his knees hard as he comes
    > forward.
    > 3) Work in threes or more, most people can't cope with more than three
    > strikes before they move backwards.
    > 4) Best advice "no be there" Mr Miagi...

    I'll definitely remember those, especially point 1 as I'd always thought
    "fight dirty" was a good tip, but your point makes sense. It does go
    against the advice you often hear "kick him in the balls, and if it's a
    woman, pretend she's got balls".

    Another piece of advice I've been lucky not to need is that you shouldn't
    just aim for what you want to kick, but at something behind your target.
    If you aim at the knee your natural reaction may be to kick relatively
    softly, if you aim as if the knee was actually 6" or so behind but in
    line with where it actually is then you kick a hell of a lot harder.

    Graeme

  5. Tom Anderson

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Not Responding wrote:

    > Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
    >
    > > Advice corner:
    > > 1) Don't try to hit the head or balls humans are very good at covering
    > > these points.
    > > 2) If he can't stand he can't fight, kick his knees hard as he comes
    > > forward.
    > > 3) Work in threes or more, most people can't cope with more than three
    > > strikes before they move backwards.
    > > 4) Best advice "no be there" Mr Miagi...

    > I don't remember subbing to uk.rec.fighting.

    CYCLING IS WAR.

    My suggestion would be to learn Llap Goch, the secret Welsh art of
    self-defence:

    http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/8456/Llapgoch.htm

    Or at least to adopt its core strategy:

    "the BEST way to protect yourself AGAINST any ASSAILANT is to ATTACK him
    before he attacks YOU . . . Or BETTER... BEFORE the THOUGHT of doing so
    has EVEN OCCURRED TO HIM!!! SO YOU MAY BE ABLE TO RENDER YOUR ASSAILANT
    UNCONSCIOUS BEFORE he is EVEN aware of your very existence!"

    tom

    --
    People don't want nice. People want London. -- Al

  6. On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:07:36 +0000, Tom Anderson
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <[email protected]>:

    >My suggestion would be to learn Llap Goch, the secret Welsh art of
    >self-defence:

    But what if the other guy knows Ecky Thump?

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  7. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Graeme wrote:
    > I'll definitely remember those, especially point 1 as I'd always thought
    > "fight dirty" was a good tip, but your point makes sense. It does go
    > against the advice you often hear "kick him in the balls, and if it's a
    > woman, pretend she's got balls".
    >
    > Another piece of advice I've been lucky not to need is that you shouldn't
    > just aim for what you want to kick, but at something behind your target.
    > If you aim at the knee your natural reaction may be to kick relatively
    > softly, if you aim as if the knee was actually 6" or so behind but in
    > line with where it actually is then you kick a hell of a lot harder.

    That's a classic martial arts technique. Punch or kick _through_ the
    target. But to mention it again... the best technique is not to be there.

    A good avoidance tactic (Unused, but apparently successful) is to throw
    a bunch of keys or metal strapped watch (Something shiny basically) at
    their head. The throw needs to be straight from the body so as to place
    the object between them and you. The two options are to run in
    afterwards (while it is still airborne) screaming at the top of your
    voice in a possessed stylee, or to turn and run. The latter is obviously
    recommended, but the former may be necessary if you want your keys back! :)

    Despite all this, and occasional games with a punch bag, I've not yet
    had any grief, although I have been twitchy on occasions.

    Jon

    Jon

  8. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:07:36 +0000 someone who may be Tom Anderson
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >"the BEST way to protect yourself AGAINST any ASSAILANT is to ATTACK him
    >before he attacks YOU . . . Or BETTER... BEFORE the THOUGHT of doing so
    >has EVEN OCCURRED TO HIM!!! SO YOU MAY BE ABLE TO RENDER YOUR ASSAILANT
    >UNCONSCIOUS BEFORE he is EVEN aware of your very existence!"

    Charles Clarke and his predecessors are aware of this and have made
    it part of UK law.

    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  9. Tom Anderson

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:07:36 +0000, Tom Anderson
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    > >My suggestion would be to learn Llap Goch, the secret Welsh art of
    > >self-defence:

    > But what if the other guy knows Ecky Thump?

    One of the great mysteries of the universe!

    tom

    --
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. -- Mark Twain

  10. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:33:31 +0000, Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:

    > John Hearns wrote:
    >>

    > Snipers two rules of fights,
    >
    > 1) Don't unless there's no option not to.
    > 2) If you must, you don't come second.

    Than