Support vehicle engine noise / noise generators

wutangclan

Jul 11, 2014
In my region (British Columbia, Canada), I have become the defacto manager of the support vehicle caravans that participate in all high-level amateur / semi-pro races, i.e. pace cars, commissaire cars, neutral support cars, etc. A problem we are encountering is that many modern vehicles are too quiet, and in some races we're provided with electric vehicles that are completely silent. You can imagine that this presents challenges in the peleton when vehicles must overtake riders and riders cannot use their ears to be aware of the cars around them. This became very apparent when, earlier this week at a local race, I was driving a sponsored Tesla Model S, and I had a few close calls while overtaking riders that almost resulted in collisions.

I do not have TV so have not been able to watch any world-class races in recent years such as the Spring Classics or the Grand Tours, but a friend mentioned to me that he saw on TV that some support vehicles are now fitted with noise-generating devices to combat precisely this problem. Can anyone point me to further information on these devices? I need to get our race organizations to purchase a few sets of these.

Thanks.