Supportive employer

Walrus

Guest
I just had a meeting with my boss and we agreed that once a week I
can take the morning off to go riding! So I can rock up at 11 without
a problem.

Our company want to support the personal goals of employees, so I told
them that in winter (and without daylight saving), it's hard for me to
get enough training in. I was surprised when he suggested I do it
weekly, but I'm wrapped!!! :D

Anyone else have similarly understanding employers? Obviously those
of you who are self employed or retired have a different set of rules
to play by.

--

I’m lucky to have secure bike parking & shower/change room facilities at
work here (CBD office building) at no charge.

There are some office buildings here in the city (Melbourne Australia)
that have realised that commuting to work is a growing phenominon, but
have responded by building secure bike parking (locked cages) & charging
for access to a key which I think is abit rich.

--

Marx SS wrote:
> I’m lucky to have secure bike parking & shower/change room facilities
> at work here (CBD office building) at no charge.
>
> There are some office buildings here in the city (Melbourne
> Australia) that have realised that commuting to work is a growing
> phenominon, but have responded by building secure bike parking
> (locked cages) & charging for access to a key which I think is abit
> rich.

The building I work at used to have what could only be described as a
broom cupboard with a shower. Then the CEO of the comapny that owned the
building started cycling to work and we got the nirvana of change rooms.
There's bike lockers as well but a long waiting list to get one, but
plenty of other places in the underground carpark to lock up a bike.

Add to that I'm working from home 3 days a week, so I can head out to
enjoy quiet bike paths and a nice sunny day today, and make up the time
this evening.

DaveB

We get either the underground dedicated room and lockers/showers too!

Also have better lockers/showers on my floor here in Dilbert-land

Moving to the new BHP building over xmas break (if I stick it out here
that long...). Apparently the ex-Boss of BHP insisted on top-notch
facilities as he's a cycling nutter too;)

--

flyingdutch wrote:
> We get either the underground dedicated room and lockers/showers too!
> Also have better lockers/showers on my floor here in Dilbert-land
> Moving to the new BHP building over xmas break (if I stick it out here
> that long...). Apparently the ex-Boss of BHP insisted on top-notch
> facilities as he's a cycling nutter too;)

You're right. I remember he has an interesting name. There was a story
on him in a recent Bicycle Victoria magazine.

--

jazmo wrote:
> But that's not interesting at all!
> Aha, Google is my friend. It's Chip Goodyear.

I was also thinking about that other BHP high flyer...Jethro Q
Walrustitty. But his name isn't very interesting either :p

--

jazmo wrote:
> You're right. I remember he has an interesting name. There was a story
> on him in a recent Bicycle Victoria magazine.

I think you'll find it was Paul Anderson.

--

jazmo wrote:
> But that's not interesting at all!
> Aha, Google is my friend. It's Chip Goodyear.

Ahh, I was talking BHP Australia. Paul Anderson was a fantastic chief
locally I'm told...

--

"Walrus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just had a meeting with my boss and we agreed that once a week I
> can take the morning off to go riding! So I can rock up at 11 without
> a problem.
>
> Our company want to support the personal goals of employees, so I told
> them that in winter (and without daylight saving), it's hard for me to
> get enough training in. I was surprised when he suggested I do it
> weekly, but I'm wrapped!!! :D
>
> Anyone else have similarly understanding employers? Obviously those
> of you who are self employed or retired have a different set of rules
> to play by.

Similar sort of arrangement. I was able to arrange with my employer to start
at 9am each day so that I have time in the morning to get in a training
ride. Like you however, with winter and no daylight saving . . . . ever . .
.. (when will these West Australians ever learn . . .hmmm probably just
started something here . . .mind you, no daylight saving during summer makes
training rides in the mornings pretty good with sunrise happening at about
5:30 am) training in the morning is currently relegated to sitting on a
static trainer. I like your arrangement of being able to get out for a real
ride at least once a week during the week. May try and re-negotiate during
winter.
Ideally I would commute to work, but unfortunately cannot do this because I
need my car each day for work.

I've got great bosses, too. They sponsor anyone employee willing to go in
any non-competitive local cycling events. Last time, they even bought team
cylcling jerseys with a small company logo embroidered on them.

I've got a spot in the storeroom for my bike all day and shower are
provided. One boss is even thinking about going on a tour with me later
this year - would that be a tax exemption?

They have also sprung for entry fees in triathlons and lots of other stuff.
I aint never gonna leave!

jazmo wrote:
> But that's not interesting at all!
> Aha, Google is my friend. It's Chip Goodyear.

No the guys name was/is Gilbertson a south african or english dude
who came across from Billiton and was then given the richard by
'screw-you-Argus'

--

Walrus wrote:
> Ahh, I was talking BHP Australia. Paul Anderson was a fantastic chief
> locally I'm told...

maybe so but i bet he never even spelled the word bike let alone rode
one. A tubby lard-**** from Oil-crazy-US-Duke-Energy

--

>Originally posted by Walrus Anyone else have similarly understanding
>employers? Obviously >those of you who are self employed or retired
>have a different >set of rules to play by.

I used to sacrifice 30mins of lunch so I could leave 30mins early
(8-5 instead of 8-5.30) and make it to track training and do a shop
ride after work.. we are running understaffed now though so they
don't let me. :(

The shower here is only cold water and it is used more as a water bottle
storage area than a shower.. I've used it twice.. it's sooooooo cold!!

Hopefully if we get a new office soon they will take cyclists
into account?

hippy

--

Bow wrote:
> I've got great bosses, too. They sponsor anyone employee willing to go
> in any non-competitive local cycling events. Last time, they even bought
> team cylcling jerseys with a small company logo embroidered on them.
> I've got a spot in the storeroom for my bike all day and shower are
> provided. One boss is even thinking about going on a tour with me later
> this year - would that be a tax exemption?
> They have also sprung for entry fees in triathlons and lots of other
> stuff. I aint never gonna leave!

I'll get my coat and be right over :) what was that address again?

--

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 03:59:57 GMT, Walrus <[email protected]> wrote:

> I just had a meeting with my boss and we agreed that once a week I
> can take the morning off to go riding! So I can rock up at 11 without
> a problem.
>
> Our company want to support the personal goals of employees, so I told
> them that in winter (and without daylight saving), it's hard for me to
> get enough training in. I was surprised when he suggested I do it
> weekly, but I'm wrapped!!! :D
>
> Anyone else have similarly understanding employers? Obviously those
> of you who are self employed or retired have a different set of rules
> to play by.

I mentioned to my boss that I wasn't getting enough sex, so he kindly told me to
get ****ed. ;-)

"Marx SS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm lucky to have secure bike parking & shower/change room facilities at
> work here (CBD office building) at no charge.
>
> There are some office buildings here in the city (Melbourne Australia)
> that have realised that commuting to work is a growing phenominon, but
> have responded by building secure bike parking (locked cages) & charging
> for access to a key which I think is abit rich.

I work at Victoria Barracks on St Kilda Rd (Southbank - Melbourne) and there
are heaps of guys (and girls) who ride to work on a regular basis. We have
a few sets of outdoor bike racks and hooks (all under cover) and there are a
few changerooms/showers to choose from as well.

It is a secure site (you need a defence pass to get on site) so a pretty
simple lock is all that is required and most people leave all their lights,
helmets, gloves, etc either on the bikes or on their lockers in the change
room.

I drive into work once a fortnight or so to restock with work clothes,
towels, gym gear, etc (did i mention there is also a gym on base??).

I reckon that we have got a pretty sweet deal!!!!!

Ride On,

Gags

Walrus wrote:
> Anyone else have similarly understanding employers?

I shower in the toilet hand-basin, and park my bike in whatever vacant
office I can find :-(

Gags wrote:
> "Marx SS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:h54Hc.-
> [email protected]:[email protected]
> rver.com...
> > I'm lucky to have secure bike parking & shower/change room facilities
> > at work here (CBD office building) at no charge.

> [snip]

I'm lucky in Sydney's CBD as our company's facilities manager is also
the head honcho of the body corporate for the (shared) building. I
therefore have a key to a disused mail-room downstairs, which means a
secure and dry (and private) room. The office has showers (recently
upgraded from one to three) as more of our people are exercising at
lunch time (and all that). Can't complain...

Ritch

--

Gags wrote:
> "Marx SS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:h54Hc.-
> [email protected]:[email protected]
> rver.com...
> > I'm lucky to have secure bike parking & shower/change room facilities
> > at work here (CBD office building) at no charge.
> >
> > There are some office buildings here in the city (Melbourne Australia)
> > that have realised that commuting to work is a growing phenominon, but
> > have responded by building secure bike parking (locked cages) &
> > charging for access to a key which I think is abit rich.
> >

> I work at Victoria Barracks on St Kilda Rd (Southbank - Melbourne) and
> there are heaps of guys (and girls) who ride to work on a regular basis.
> We have a few sets of outdoor bike racks and hooks (all under cover) and
> there are a few changerooms/showers to choose from as well.
> It is a secure site (you need a defence pass to get on site) so a pretty
> simple lock is all that is required and most people leave all their
> lights, helmets, gloves, etc either on the bikes or on their lockers in
> the change room.
> I drive into work once a fortnight or so to restock with work clothes,
> towels, gym gear, etc (did i mention there is also a gym on base??).
> I reckon that we have got a pretty sweet deal!!!!!
> Ride On,
> Gags

and all those 'women in uuuuuuniform':rolleyes: