"sure fire" supplements

Claire Petersky

Guest
"Davykoh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi there,
> Besides solid training, vitamins and the illegal stuffs, I would like to
> find out what are
> the 'sure fire' supplements that really enhances performance. Things like
> L-
> carnitine, L- glutamine, Coenzyme Q10 and the likes.
> Care to share your real experience here?

Paging Fabrizio!

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
Sponsor me for the Big Climb! See: www.active.com/donate/cpetersky06
See the books I've set free at:

Davykoh wrote:
> Hi there,
> Besides solid training, vitamins and the illegal stuffs, I would like to
> find out what are
> the 'sure fire' supplements that really enhances performance. Things like L-
> carnitine, L- glutamine, Coenzyme Q10 and the likes.
> Care to share your real experience here?

Some old european dinosaur named Eddy Merckx used to recommend "Ride
Lots". I'm not sure if it's still available in the US.

"Davykoh" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> Besides solid training, vitamins and the illegal stuffs, I would like to
> find out what are
> the 'sure fire' supplements that really enhances performance.

Gatorade works pretty well for me.

Davykoh wrote:
> Hi there,
> Besides solid training, vitamins and the illegal stuffs, I would like to
> find out what are
> the 'sure fire' supplements that really enhances performance. Things like L-
> carnitine, L- glutamine, Coenzyme Q10 and the likes.
> Care to share your real experience here?

H2O

> Davykoh wrote:
>> Hi there,
>> Besides solid training, vitamins and the illegal stuffs, I would like to
>> find out what are
>> the 'sure fire' supplements that really enhances performance. Things like
>> L-
>> carnitine, L- glutamine, Coenzyme Q10 and the likes.
>> Care to share your real experience here?
>>

> Some old european dinosaur named Eddy Merckx used to recommend "Ride
> Lots". I'm not sure if it's still available in the US.

Not to mention Pot Belge...

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Inject testosterone. Remember, folks, testosterone is testosterone.
It is a specific molecule, and it's the same for all animal species.
You can buy it at the animal supply store, intended for injection into
stallions so they can cover more mares. Just do an IM injection every
day, a couple of hours before your ride. Ask your family doctor about
the correct dose. If your doctor disapproves, tell him he's a *****
and find a different doctor. Believe me, you'll feel like you're
flying, in more ways than one!!!

Davykoh wrote:
SNIP

Dave -- eat less processed food and more vegetables. Especially green
leafy ones (like spinach), cruciferous ones (broccoli, cabbage,
cauliflower) and whatever's in season (tastier and less expensive). As
for macronutrients (carbohydrates/proteins/fats) please consult with a
credentialed, trained Registered Dietician (not a "Nutritionist" or the
clerk at the health food store) as to amount and proportion, but I
betcha if you reduce (that's right, eat less of them!) your overall
macronutient inputs, you'll gain in performance as you lose weight off
the frame. Your frame, that is. However, I've found that I've had to
change my riding style after executing this tip myself: When I dropped
60 pounds I found that while climbing the steeper local hills I had to
go from standing up and mashing the pedals to spinning, or at least a
faster cadance. I'd lost torque....

DIRTY LITTLE SECRET THE DIET DOCTORS DON'T TELL YOU: The medical
specialty that includes metabolism in the job description is
endocrinology. As much as anyone, endocrinologists know off the cuff,
to the extent of our knowledge, how food gets from inside the gut to
inside your cells. Here's the nasty part: ASIDE from Doctor Bernstein,
who is up front in describing his diet as one especially designed for
very sick people , there is NO famous diet named after an endo.
Cardiologists, holisticians, dermatologists, yeah, but no endos. THEY'D
be dancing in the streets if we all just ate less.

As for MICRONUTRIENTS, well, if you are eating more vegetables you'll
be getting more of hwat you need. Otherwise, any standard multivitamin
should fill in most of the remaining gaps. Same money for a new jersey
and buy the pharmacy or grocery store's own brand. You're going to need
the new jersey when you lose weight.

But dont't take my word for it: Get your HMO to pay for a consultation
with a Registered Dietician, and learn all sorts of portion control and
measuration tricks! HINT: Just becuase the rubber rice bounces higher
than the rubber apple doesn't mean you should bounce either one.

Robert Leone [email protected]

Hi there,
Besides solid training, vitamins and the illegal stuffs, I would like to
find out what are
the 'sure fire' supplements that really enhances performance. Things like L-
carnitine, L- glutamine, Coenzyme Q10 and the likes.
Care to share your real experience here?

Thanks in advance.
Davy

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > Davykoh wrote:
> >> Hi there,
> >> Besides solid training, vitamins and the illegal stuffs, I would like to
> >> find out what are
> >> the 'sure fire' supplements that really enhances performance. Things like
> >> L-
> >> carnitine, L- glutamine, Coenzyme Q10 and the likes.
> >> Care to share your real experience here?
> >>

> > Some old european dinosaur named Eddy Merckx used to recommend "Ride
> > Lots". I'm not sure if it's still available in the US.

> Not to mention Pot Belge...

That was never proven, was it?

.......and, of course, Lance was as pure as the driven snow, right?

>Care to share your real experience here?

Dimethyltriptamine. Like being shot out of an atomic cannon.

My question is, how to prevent muscle cramping in the latter half of a
marathon run. Are there minerals or somesuch that would alleviate this.

rms

Claire Petersky wrote:
> Oh, I forgot! Highly recommended is:
>
> 3,7-Dihydro-3,7-dimethyle-1H-prine-2,6-dione, more popularly known as
> Theobromine.
>

> See: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/w.html

Hot or cold? Liquid or solid? Milk or dark?

BTW, some years ago I had a "chocolate calendar" that had a description
of carob. One month's entry started off with, "Carob is a bean that,
some say," and listed a bunch of processing steps. It concluded with,
"can be made to taste like chocolate. The same can be said of dirt." I
saved that for a few years, but then lost it. Did anybody else see that
one? Does anybody have the full wording?

Pat

[email protected] wrote:
> Inject testosterone. Remember, folks, testosterone is testosterone.
> It is a specific molecule, and it's the same for all animal species.
> You can buy it at the animal supply store, intended for injection into
> stallions so they can cover more mares. Just do an IM injection every
> day, a couple of hours before your ride. Ask your family doctor about
> the correct dose. If your doctor disapproves, tell him he's a *****
> and find a different doctor. Believe me, you'll feel like you're
> flying, in more ways than one!!!

Great for men, but a woman with ultra high testosterone.
He would be checking to see where she had a 'pair'.
Bill

[email protected] wrote:
> Davykoh wrote:
> SNIP
>
> Dave -- eat less processed food and more vegetables. Especially green
> leafy ones (like spinach), cruciferous ones (broccoli, cabbage,
> cauliflower) and whatever's in season (tastier and less expensive).

Lots of macro nutrients but to calories for those carb heavy climbs.
As
> for macronutrients (carbohydrates/proteins/fats) please consult with a
> credentialed, trained Registered Dietician (not a "Nutritionist" or the
> clerk at the health food store) as to amount and proportion, but I
> betcha if you reduce (that's right, eat less of them!) your overall
> macronutient inputs, you'll gain in performance as you lose weight off
> the frame. Your frame, that is. However, I've found that I've had to
> change my riding style after executing this tip myself: When I dropped
> 60 pounds I found that while climbing the steeper local hills I had to
> go from standing up and mashing the pedals to spinning, or at least a
> faster cadance. I'd lost torque....

Don't you mash up on potatoes and high calorie stuff when you ride?
You may be running a calorie deficit and not know it.
I don't mean baked or mashed potatoes on the plate but baked in the
microwave then cooled down to munch as you ride. No added salt or fat
and lots of complex carbs.

> DIRTY LITTLE SECRET THE DIET DOCTORS DON'T TELL YOU: The medical
> specialty that includes metabolism in the job description is
> endocrinology. As much as anyone, endocrinologists know off the cuff,
> to the extent of our knowledge, how food gets from inside the gut to
> inside your cells. Here's the nasty part: ASIDE from Doctor Bernstein,
> who is up front in describing his diet as one especially designed for
> very sick people , there is NO famous diet named after an endo.
> Cardiologists, holisticians, dermatologists, yeah, but no endos. THEY'D
> be dancing in the streets if we all just ate less.

My dirty little secret trick. I would carry a bottle of pancake syrup
with me and chug some once in a while, pure liquid sugar energy.

> As for MICRONUTRIENTS, well, if you are eating more vegetables you'll
> be getting more of hwat you need. Otherwise, any standard multivitamin
> should fill in most of the remaining gaps. Same money for a new jersey
> and buy the pharmacy or grocery store's own brand. You're going to need
> the new jersey when you lose weight.
>
> But dont't take my word for it: Get your HMO to pay for a consultation
> with a Registered Dietician, and learn all sorts of portion control and
> measuration tricks! HINT: Just becuase the rubber rice bounces higher
> than the rubber apple doesn't mean you should bounce either one.
>

> Robert Leone [email protected]

All of the above sounds great for day to day eating but on a long ride,
especially a century you need calories^2, and don't need to worry about
the nutrients until after the event. I hate to say it but even
McDonald's type food would be good on a long trip due to the calories.
OK, McDonalds might be a stretch, but you get the point.
Bill

bryanska wrote:
>>Care to share your real experience here?

> Dimethyltriptamine. Like being shot out of an atomic cannon.

I just looked it up and it seems to be illegal.
Bill

Pat Lamb wrote:
> Claire Petersky wrote:
>
>>Oh, I forgot! Highly recommended is:
>>
>>3,7-Dihydro-3,7-dimethyle-1H-prine-2,6-dione, more popularly known as
>>Theobromine.
>>

>>See: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/w.html

> Hot or cold? Liquid or solid? Milk or dark?
>
> BTW, some years ago I had a "chocolate calendar" that had a description
> of carob. One month's entry started off with, "Carob is a bean that,
> some say," and listed a bunch of processing steps. It concluded with,
> "can be made to taste like chocolate. The same can be said of dirt." I
> saved that for a few years, but then lost it. Did anybody else see that
> one? Does anybody have the full wording?
>
> Pat

Carob is supposed to be better than chocolate for some nutritional
reasons that escape me now, but I have read that on the boxes with carob
in them. Maybe just lower fat content? I am definitely not an expert on
that subject. Chocolate is also promoted as a feel good food and I am an
addict to anything chocolate, even carob.
I don't know if it would help biking or not.
Bill

"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:

> Oh, I forgot! Highly recommended is:
>
> 3,7-Dihydro-3,7-dimethyle-1H-prine-2,6-dione, more popularly known as
> Theobromine.
>

> See: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/w.html

I think you meant:

3,7-Dihydro-3,7-dimethyle-1H-purine-2,6-dion

The typo is on Sheldon's page too.

Bill Baka wrote:
SNIP
> Don't you mash up on potatoes and high calorie stuff when you ride?
> You may be running a calorie deficit and not know it.
> I don't mean baked or mashed potatoes on the plate but baked in the
> microwave then cooled down to munch as you ride. No added salt or fat
> and lots of complex carbs.

Nah. I microdose on minature stone-ground wheat crackers, have peanut
butter and no jelly sandwiches with whole multigrain bread and/or small
apples for the riding nosh. Lots of lovely phytochemicals that are
SUPPOSED to be good for you in the skin of nice red apples -- and the
fructose in the apple gets into the bloodstream slower than the simple
long-chain starches in the crackers (or so I've been told). My riding
cohorts did get a little dismayed about my eating raw red bell pepper
strips while in the saddle this one time -- they thought I was biting
my tongue off or something.

SNIP

> My dirty little secret trick. I would carry a bottle of pancake syrup
> with me and chug some once in a while, pure liquid sugar energy.

I'd say you're nuts, except it is cheaper than the specially packaged
for "athletes" gel pouches. You might want to price glucose tablets
next time you're at the pharmacy, but on a price per gram of
carbohydrate basis the syrup might still come out ahead. Orange juice
is a field expedient/non-commental "snack" anti-hypoglycemic of choice
for some of the stealthier (as in you can be watching them and you'd
never know they just checked their blood sugar and adjusted their
insulin pump for a pre-meal bolus) Type 1 diabetic patients I've met --
the accepted wisdom is OJ is quicker than chocolate bars because fats
and goodness knows what else in the bars can retard absorbtion of sugar
into the bloodstream. Others like a more solid option that won't get
them in trouble with the "Drug Zero-Tolerance Police" -- raisins
("grape sugar" is an old name for glucose). It's a lot harder to
justify confiscating a couple small boxes of raisins than it is to
justify seizing an elementary school student's glucose tablets.
SNIP

> > Robert Leone [email protected]
> >

> All of the above sounds great for day to day eating but on a long ride,
> especially a century you need calories^2, and don't need to worry about
> the nutrients until after the event. I hate to say it but even
> McDonald's type food would be good on a long trip due to the calories.
> OK, McDonalds might be a stretch, but you get the point.
> Bill

Everyone's got their own favorite food preference and individual
metabolism. I could go quite a way on a handlebar bag (and rack trunk)
of fresh fruit, berries, etc. Then there's Kent "Not a Nutritional Role
Model" Peterson. The original poster was asking about (sarcasm volume
knob turned to "11") secret mystery/underground herbal supplemental
pills to be megadosed on the royal road to Category 2 racing mastery
(sarcasm volume knob turned to "0").

And, of course, I forgot to advise him to keep a food diary to show his
dietary advisors....

rms <[email protected]> wrote:
> My question is, how to prevent muscle cramping in the latter half of a
> marathon run. Are there minerals or somesuch that would alleviate this.

You can try getting more potassium (banana's or salt replacement). Some
people advocate more magnesium. Some people say hydrate more, some say
you need more salt.

Sometimes these will help, sometimes they won't. The *most* likely
reason you're cramping up is that you aren't conditioned enough.
If you're talking about running though, shouldn't you posting in a
running newsgroup? It's pretty slow around here at the moment though,
so I can't say *I* really mind.

ObBike: The Schwalbe Marathon Pluses ride much better when I inflate
them near the limit. Too much RR when they were a little lower.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"veni, vedi, nuclei deceiri - I came, I saw, I core dumped"