Sure, Trek's not "cool" anymore, but...

bobbyOCR said:
I would use my (incomplete) track bike for road training for a while, use my frankenstein Avalanche 700c hybrid SS (built completely out of spare parts), or throw some slicks on my XtC.

Thanks Crank N' Cycles.

Otherwise Dirtworks has a small cache of 54cm SL01s so I wouldn't be waiting all that long (have a spare 105 10-speed group, forks, cranks, arione, handlebar, stem, wheels, tyres, except bar tape and cassette lying around (brakes and arione on my frankenstein)) assuming I am still working at the bike shop but getting no special deals and no sponsorship.

But I would kill whoever stole the SL01. An invaluable amount of time and effort has gone into tracking down parts, at minimum cost, that suit the frame perfectly. Most of the parts there I got OEM or at incredible deals. Despite its moderate overall monetary value, for the calibre of the equipment, it is almost a part of me.

Hell, the fix to any stolen bike scenario is as close as the nearest used CAAD 4,5,6,7........

alienator said:
Hell, the fix to any stolen bike scenario is as close as the nearest used CAAD 4,5,6,7........
Which you can't find used in Western Aus if your cycling depended on it. You wo-uld be better off looking for a Giant.

bobbyOCR said:
Which you can't find used in Western Aus if your cycling depended on it. You wo-uld be better off looking for a Giant.

No Cannondale dealers? How about Kinesis?

alienator said:
No Cannondale dealers? How about Kinesis?
Oh we got a cannondale dealer, but no-one buys from him. No kinesis in sight. No specialized either. Giants rule the group. There are 3 six13s. a few Madones. A fair few Orbeas. One BMC. Couple of Cinellis. Bianchi is floating around. Not much of a trend.

Who gives a **** what you ride. If someone won't talk to me because of what I ride it's certainly no skin off my backside. Sure I see lots of Treks on the road and I always feel like saying hi Lance, but is there really anything wrong with the bikes? I myself ride a Canadian bike no not a Cerevelo:D but someday, when I have the money. For now I'll keep blasting the pavement on my OPUS. And yes are there ever some snobs. A friend of mine rides a Pinerello and when I bouhg tmine he said he'd never ride it just because it doesn't have campy on it:confused:

BigUgly said:
he said he'd never ride it just because it doesn't have campy on it:confused:
That one is personal preferance. I would not ride a bike with campy on it. Just don't like the way it feels. Everyone is different in the drivetrain department.

I can't beleive you guys said Trek does not have a replaceable derailleur hanger and that it has a nonstd bb. Is this really true? I'm gonna stop by a Trek shop and see, cuz I seriously like the Pilot spa. But I hate the way Trek overuses the Madone word...

JTE83 said:
I can't beleive you guys said Trek does not have a replaceable derailleur hanger and that it has a nonstd bb. Is this really true? I'm gonna stop by a Trek shop and see, cuz I seriously like the Pilot spa. But I hate the way Trek overuses the Madone word...
The Madones never had replaceable derailleur hangers. Something to do with improving shifting with added derailleur rigidity. The 08 Madone has all of the proprietary new features. Pilts will be similar to normal AFAIK.

JTE83 said:
Pilots are fine. We're talking about Madones. The new (2008) Madones are going to have a proprietary bottom bracket, which I believe is around the 90mm width.

ToffoIsMe said:
Pilots are fine. We're talking about Madones. The new (2008) Madones are going to have a proprietary bottom bracket, which I believe is around the 90mm width.

And in '08, the Pilots are folded in under the Madone name.

alienator said:
And in '08, the Pilots are folded in under the Madone name.
Yes, and no. There are going to be "pro fit" madones which fit some of the characteristics of the current pilots, but they are only full carbon models. The current pilot line includes full aluminum and aluminum/carbon mix bikes as well as full carbon ones, and as far as I know there are no plans to eliminate these bikes, or at least the Trek rep didn't tell us there were any plans to get rid of the pilot line when he was in talking about the new madones and bontrager parts.