Surly Cross Check Sizing - 56 or 58?

AZDesertRat

Jan 3, 2008
Okay, here’s another Surly sizing question for all of you almost 6’ tall Cross Check owners out there.

I'm ready to order a new Cross Check frameset and am torn (as usual) between a 56cm and 58cm frame. I haven't been able to find one built up to try out and I'm sure that either will work for me... but I still want to make the best choice. I'll be riding this bike for many years and thousands of miles... so it's gotta' feel right.

I plan to build it up with Ultegra SL, compact crank, cyclocross drop bars and 35c - 40c tires (smooth rolling with side knobs like Ritchey Speed Max). I live in the Phoenix area, so fenders won't be necessary. The bike will be for commuting (38 miles round trip), long training rides, and having fun on primarily smooth hard-packed dirt trails and canal roads and some pavement (probably 50/50 mix). I don't plan on racing cyclocross or doing technical single track (I have an MTB for that) so massive standover is not an issue. I typically prefer larger frames to get the bar height up higher -- to within an inch either way of saddle height -- while still getting a bit stretched out over the top tube (at 40-something I'm not as flexible as I used to be). I also want to follow the Rivendell fitting method for this particular bike but maybe not quite as extreme as Grant Peterson at Rivendell espouses. When complete, I expect this bike will be the one that I ride the most so it needs to be comfortable.

I currently ride a Cervelo R3 58cm, which I will be keeping for group rides and centuries (see photos), Specialized Epic Large, and Trek Fuel 19-1/2" -- all three of which I'm totally comfortable on. I've also owned a Cervelo Prodigy and Renaissance, both 56cm, which I eventually sold because I just felt a little too cramped and the bar height was too low prior to using a high rise stem. I've always felt a 57c-t frame with a 570 to 575 c-c top tube with parallel head and seat tube angles and a long head tube would be my ideal road or cross frame in traditional geometry -- they're just hard to find. I know, the Lemond Poprad almost fits this bill but its kinda’ boring and overpriced for what you get.

Okay, so with that said, here are my numbers:

Height: 5' 11.5" (tall torso, longer than average arms)
Weight: 205 (varies 190 to 215 but I’m fairly fit!)
Pubic Bone Height: 33.75" to 34" (85.7 to 86.4 cm)
Pants Inseam: Typically 32"
Preferred Saddle Height (Road & Cross Country MTB): 29.75" (75.6 cm)
Crank Length: 175mm
... I think that's it.

I'm leaning towards the 58 based on Rivendell guidelines and because adding the spacers needed on the 56 for a taller bar height will effectively shorten the top tube up and give me that cramped feeling again. With a standover height pushing 33" on the 58 and wearing my Sidi Dominators, I'll be barely touching the top tube flat footed but will still be able to pull the bike up an inch or two before it's uncomfortable (I know, too much info). According to Grant, that's still plenty of standover clearance. What I really want is the 58's size with the 56's standover. If only there was a 58 cm Cross Check with a sloping top tube (like a Gunnar Crosshairs but with a Surly price tag).

So, what do you suggest 56 or 58? What sizes are you riding? Thanks for your help and sorry if I rambled too much.

I'm very close to you measurement wise - just under 6', long torso - and went with a 56cm. I ride marginally lower in the saddle than you but I'm fat, which has an impact in that area! If I was lighter and fitter I'd ride higher.

I nearly went 58 on my Cross-Check and am glad I didn't it as I would have regretted it. 56cm is fine. With the high bracket it lifts the frame up so you won't have as much seat post showing as on your road bikes.

BTW, I normally ride 57 long with a 125mm stem. I'm using a 120mm stem in the Surly, although I have it set up slightly shorter than my road bike. I also have my road bikes bars set up much lower and more aggressive than your set up.

You can see my road set ups on this page.

AZDesertRat said:
So, what do you suggest 56 or 58? What sizes are you riding? Thanks for your help and sorry if I rambled too much.
I'd get the 56, but you're not me. The setup of your 58 cm Cervelo, with handlebar almost level with the saddle, tells me you'd be much happier on the 58.