Surly Karate Monkey

Jim Smith

Guest
Well I've missed the lottery for KM's twice so far, 18" is a popular size I guess. Wondering if
anyone has been lucky enough to get their hands on one and build it up yet, and what they thing of
it so far? Also has anyone else heard that QBP is now setting the price? I had noticed quite a big
difference in prices, settled on one shop that was way below everyone else. After the first batch
was gone they rasied their price. I was told by them that QBP was now setting the price. I tend to
believe them as these folks have the lowest QBP catalog prices on every item. Anyone else hear
anything like this? Regards Jim Smith Catskill NY

[email protected] (Jim Smith) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Well I've missed the lottery for KM's twice so far, 18" is a popular size I guess. Wondering if
> anyone has been lucky enough to get their hands on one and build it up yet, and what they thing of
> it so far? Also has anyone else heard that QBP is now setting the price? I had noticed quite a big
> difference in prices, settled on one shop that was way below everyone else. After the first batch
> was gone they rasied their price. I was told by them that QBP was now setting the price. I tend to
> believe them as these folks have the lowest QBP catalog prices on every item. Anyone else hear
> anything like this? Regards Jim Smith Catskill NY

A lottery?

Jim Smith wrote:
> Well I've missed the lottery for KM's twice so far, 18" is a popular size I guess. Wondering if
> anyone has been lucky enough to get their hands on one and build it up yet, and what they thing of
> it so far? Also has anyone else heard that QBP is now setting the price? I had noticed quite a big
> difference in prices, settled on one shop that was way below everyone else. After the first batch
> was gone they rasied their price. I was told by them that QBP was now setting the price. I tend to
> believe them as these folks have the lowest QBP catalog prices on every item. Anyone else hear
> anything like this? Regards Jim Smith Catskill NY

I have had mine built up for a couple of weeks now. The bike rails. The bigger wheels really do hook
up better, especially on rough climbs, where on a singlespeed any rear wheel hop, skip or jump is a
momentum killer. The short wheelbase keeps the bike very, very nimble in the tight twisty stuff.

I have heard that for a geared application there is some front derailleur rub issues, but people
report being able to work around it.

There was a guy selling his 18" frame/fork, new never ridden a week ago on MTBR.

QPB fixed pricing on Basso, Salsa and Surly frames and bikes due to some over zealous web merchants'
lowballing of prices.

My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Jim Smith wrote:
> > Well I've missed the lottery for KM's twice so far, 18" is a popular size I guess. Wondering if
> > anyone has been lucky enough to get their hands on one and build it up yet, and what they thing
> > of it so far? Also has anyone else heard that QBP is now setting the price? I had noticed quite
> > a big difference in prices, settled on one shop that was way below everyone else. After the
> > first batch was gone they rasied their price. I was told by them that QBP was now setting the
> > price. I tend to believe them as these folks have the lowest QBP catalog prices on every item.
> > Anyone else hear anything like this? Regards Jim Smith Catskill NY
>
> I have had mine built up for a couple of weeks now. The bike rails. The bigger wheels really do
> hook up better, especially on rough climbs, where on a singlespeed any rear wheel hop, skip or
> jump is a momentum killer. The short wheelbase keeps the bike very, very nimble in the tight
> twisty stuff.
>
> I have heard that for a geared application there is some front derailleur rub issues, but people
> report being able to work around it.
>
> There was a guy selling his 18" frame/fork, new never ridden a week ago on MTBR.
>
> QPB fixed pricing on Basso, Salsa and Surly frames and bikes due to some over zealous web
> merchants' lowballing of prices.

Thanks for the reply Anthony. Never even thought to nose around the for sale lists. Wonder if the
front derailleur problem has anything to do with the curved seattube? Also I think there was a 46 or
was it 48 tooth max on the outside ring. Yeah that must be it. These guys were cutting every other
place I looked by $100. I guess you would call that "over zealous" Thanks again. Jim To MTBScottie
RE; Lottery. I was refering to the fact that I was on the Surly notification list, but by the time I
tried to order a frame they were gone, twice.

On 30 Mar 2003 07:00:07 -0800, [email protected] (Jim Smith) wrote:

>Well I've missed the lottery for KM's twice so far, 18" is a popular size I guess. Wondering if
>anyone has been lucky enough to get their hands on one and build it up yet, and what they thing of
>it so far? Also has anyone else heard that QBP is now setting the price? I had noticed quite a big
>difference in prices, settled on one shop that was way below everyone else. After the first batch
>was gone they rasied their price. I was told by them that QBP was now setting the price. I tend to
>believe them as these folks have the lowest QBP catalog prices on every item. Anyone else hear
>anything like this? Regards Jim Smith Catskill NY

check your email. i've got a 18" frame/fork for sale. [or email me mtnbykr at cpinternet dot com]

kl

me wrote:
> i've got a 18" frame/fork for sale.

Ohh Ohhh if only I had a REAL job. sh!t sh!t sh!t WAAAA WAAAAAAA WAAAAA somebody call the
WAAAmbulance!

[email protected] (Jim Smith) wrote:
> Well I've missed the lottery for KM's twice so far, 18" is a popular size I guess.

I'm pretty sure my LBS ( http://www.absolutebikes.com/home.html ) has a KM frame/fork in that size
in stock. They ordered a bunch before they were available. If you are still stuck for availability
by the time you read this, you may want to send them email.

> Wondering if anyone has been lucky enough to get their hands on one and build it up yet, and what
> they thing of it so far?

I haven't ridden one, but one of the wrenches at the aformentioned shop was riding his on the group
ride Tuesday. He was pretty much tickled with it. He's built it up geared, so if there are issues
you're curious about regarding geared KMs, I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss his setup.
--
Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/ Salida, CO

"John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> me wrote:
> > i've got a 18" frame/fork for sale.
>
> Ohh Ohhh if only I had a REAL job. sh!t sh!t sh!t WAAAA WAAAAAAA WAAAAA somebody call the
> WAAAmbulance!

Why are you so upset? Ain't the headtubes on those things kinda short for your preferences. I know
they are for me.

KLydesdale wrote:
> "John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>

>>me wrote:
>>
>>>i've got a 18" frame/fork for sale.
>>
>>Ohh Ohhh if only I had a REAL job. sh!t sh!t sh!t WAAAA WAAAAAAA WAAAAA somebody call the
>>WAAAmbulance!
>>

> Why are you so upset? Ain't the headtubes on those things kinda short for your preferences. I know
> they are for me.

Yeah, but unless I go custom (from Habanero, of course ;-), it is the only way I will ever get on
one. and we all know ho wmuch custom Ti costs, even from Mark.

--
John G. Just say, "been playing with QuickCAD 8" etc.

[email protected] (Jim Smith) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Well I've missed the lottery for KM's twice so far, 18" is a popular size I guess. Wondering if
> anyone has been lucky enough to get their hands on one and build it up yet, and what they thing of
> it so far? Also has anyone else heard that QBP is now setting the price? I had noticed quite a big
> difference in prices, settled on one shop that was way below everyone else. After the first batch
> was gone they rasied their price. I was told by them that QBP was now setting the price. I tend to
> believe them as these folks have the lowest QBP catalog prices on every item. Anyone else hear
> anything like this? Regards Jim Smith Catskill NY

Where in the Catskills are you?

/s

supabonbon wrote:
> [email protected] (Jim Smith) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

>>Catskill NY
> Where in the Catskills are you?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I used to go cliff diving up in Palenville @ a place the
locals called "Fawn's Leap". I got VERY drunk on "the swinging bridge"... there was this place that
had a truly incredible selection of beer. I think it was "Springs General Store" or something like
that.. it was right up the street from the Circle-W Ahhh memories!

John G <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> supabonbon wrote:
> > [email protected] (Jim Smith) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
>
> >>Catskill NY
> > Where in the Catskills are you?
>
> Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I used to go cliff diving up in Palenville @ a place the
> locals called "Fawn's Leap". I got VERY drunk on "the swinging bridge"... there was this place
> that had a truly incredible selection of beer. I think it was "Springs General Store" or something
> like that.. it was right up the street from the Circle-W Ahhh memories!

I live in the Village of Catskill which is 8 miles east of Palenville. Grew up in Palenville though.
Cirle W is gone, but I think Springs is still there, we used to make beer runs to there to from my
buddy's place. We could get there via Bogart Road so no problem with troopers:) The Swinging Bridge
is still there, but it's in bad shape. They're trying to get it restored. I'm an old fart so I
remember Palenville when it was quite the booming little town. Ever swim in the "Dog Hole"? Just
down from the Swinging bidge. We used to hang at JC Johnies and try and pick up the "City Girls"
from the boarding houses:) Yeah memories. You all should make the trip back again. All kinds of
quiet back roads as you probably already know. Jim

Jim Smith wrote:

> I'm an old fart so I remember Palenville when it was quite the booming little town.

Remember that highly modified old Chevy station-wagon called the Warioir Wagon, man that thing
was a riot!

> Ever swim in the "Dog Hole"?

No, it was fenced off by my time, My "guide" explained that a few folks died there over the years...
if you go to "The falls" across the street from Springs, you can still find his name carved into the
face of one of the cliff faces. His daughter now lives in the family house a few doors down the
street from Springs.

> Yeah memories.

Indeed!

> You all should make the trip back again.

I think I will, this summer, for sure.

ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Jim Smith wrote:
>
> > I'm an old fart so I remember Palenville when it was quite the booming little town.
>
> Remember that highly modified old Chevy station-wagon called the Warioir Wagon, man that thing
> was a riot!
>
> > Ever swim in the "Dog Hole"?
>
> No, it was fenced off by my time, My "guide" explained that a few folks died there over the
> years... if you go to "The falls" across the street from Springs, you can still find his name
> carved into the face of one of the cliff faces. His daughter now lives in the family house a few
> doors down the street from Springs.
>
> > Yeah memories.
>
> Indeed!
>

> > You all should make the trip back again.
>
> I think I will, this summer, for sure.

Yeah remember the wagon and should remember who owned it, but I claim senior moment. I'm gonna ask
one of my little brothers. Most times you couldn't get near the Dog Hole there were some many people
there. Somebody did drown after hitting their head diving, I think. It was private property and they
wound up fencing it in like you said. My Grandfather had an old boarding house just down 23A and I
stayed with him weekends and spent most of my summers there (we lived in Catskill). When he passed
we moved out there to the old house.