Surly Long Haul Trucker

skrapasor

Jun 2, 2010
Hey everyone. My name is Simon, I live in Ohio and I ride my bike to school, 12 miles a day. I have a Bianchi San Jose but I feel like it's just too dinky for the roads I ride on. Not all roads are smooth and this bike doesn't take crappy roads well at all. I also just cannot get comfortable on this bike! I've been using it for like half a year now and I've never been very comfortable which is unfortunate. I should get a professional fitting. Maybe it's too small, I bought it on eBay. I guess the guy who fits me to it can say that. I will certainly do that before I make a decision whether to buy a new bike or not. The saddle is uncomfortable and I just can't have a relaxing ride. I'm definitely considering a LHT because I know it's built for comfort and strength, and carrying things which I need. And if I do decide to get one, should I just have my LBS order one or should I try to get one used or something, although I know that can be hard.

On a side note, I got a Banjo Brothers waterproof pannier and it ripped completely after less than a year with it, is that typical? Would something like this, Bontrager: Interchange Waterproof Panniers (Model #07741), be much more durable?

skrapasor said:
I have a Bianchi San Jose but I feel like it's just too dinky for the roads I ride on. Not all roads are smooth and this bike doesn't take crappy roads well at all. I also just cannot get comfortable on this bike! I've been using it for like half a year now and I've never been very comfortable which is unfortunate. I should get a professional fitting. Maybe it's too small, I bought it on eBay. I guess the guy who fits me to it can say that. I will certainly do that before I make a decision whether to buy a new bike or not. The saddle is uncomfortable and I just can't have a relaxing ride. I'm definitely considering a LHT because I know it's built for comfort and strength, and carrying things which I need. And if I do decide to get one, should I just have my LBS order one or should I try to get one used or something, although I know that can be hard.
What is the tire size that you are currently using -- 700x28?

You can undoubtedly install 700x32 tires and run them at 85-to-90 PSI ... and, possibly 700x42 will fit in your Bianchi's frame/fork.

What saddle are you using? Why don't you buy a new saddle -- try a BROOKS B67 (it's sprung) -- because you'll probably need one if you opt for a different bike and you can certainly transfer the saddle to any bike you subsequently own.

How tall are you?

What is the frame size (top tube, seat tube)?

I doubt the Surly would be more comfortable if you had the same saddle & handlebar configuration that is on your Bianchi.

skrapasor said:
On a side note, I got a Banjo Brothers waterproof pannier and it ripped completely after less than a year with it, is that typical? Would something like this, Bontrager: Interchange Waterproof Panniers (Model #07741), be much more durable?
Did a seam fail OR did the the fabric tear?

Go to a "camping" store ... look at the backpacks ... I doubt you will see any with "welded seams" ...

Now, I suppose the meaning could have changed OR the copywriter doesn't know what it means OR I don't know how s/he is using the term, but a "welded seam" used to mean that the seam was not sewn but rather joined with heat ... a $3 vinyl rain jacket is assembled with welded seams ... personally, 'I' would have more faith in a structurally reenforced "Garbage Bag" that was bungee'd to a rear rack than the particular pannier which the copywriter describes as having "welded seams."

BTW. If you are looking for an absolutely won't-get-what's-inside-wet bag, then go to a "camping outfitter" and ask for a DULUTH BAG ... they come in ALL sizes ... they are used for canoeing ... you'll need to strap them to your rack since they won't have quick-attach/detach hardware.

I don't recall who sells them ... try CAMPMOR, LL BEAN, etc.