surly with Jamis specs

GabiM

Dec 11, 2010
Hi,
I'm slightly obsessed with the surly cross check. But my LBS doesn't have a build kit for it, but rather have a Jamis Nova Race build kit. This kind of suits me as I wanted to change the drop bars to a flat bar anyway. But I'm slightly concerned the specs on the Jamis are not as good as the sourly specs (but am too uneducated to know!) and also, that by using the Jamis parts the surly might be compromised.

Any advice, tips? I could do with some help ...
thanks!
g.

The Jamis nova race looks to have drop bars and a mix between Tiagra and Sora components. I personally would try to go with at least 105 level of stuff but your budget will determine that.

I would not be afraid of using another build kit or custom parts just make sure that you are getting a fair price for what you are paying and that the components are good for what you do.

If you can give us more information like your budget, what kind of riding you do and what stuff will actually come with this build kit like a spec list.

hi, thanks for the reply. the jamis specs are as follows:

SPECIFICATIONS
Frame: 7005 aluminum double-butted main frame, hydroformed top tube for comfortable portage, 1 1/8-1.5" tapered headtube, replaceable derailleur hanger, single eyelet
Fork: Jamis Cross, full carbon composite with monocoque construction, 1 1/8-1.5" tapered steerer, integrated, CNC’d cable stop
Headset: FSA, integrated, sealed bearing, 1 1/8-1 1/2"
Wheels: Alex ID19 black rims with CNC sidewall, with Formula hubs, 32H, 14g stainless steel spokes
Tires: Vittoria, Cross XN, 700 x 32c
Derailleurs: Shimano Tiagra RD-4500 rear and Sora FD-3400 front, 31.8mm clamp, chain catcher mounted on seat tube
Shiftlevers: Shimano Tiagra ST-4500 Dual Control STI, 18-speed
Chain: KMC Z99
Cassette: SRAM PG-950, 11/26T, 9 speed
Crankset: FSA Vero Cross compact, 46/36T, 170mm (48/51), 172.5mm (54/56), 175mm (58/61)
BB Set: FSA sealed cartridge, 68 x 110.5mm
Pedals: N/A
Brakeset: Tektro Oryx cantilevers with Shimano Tiagra ST-4500 levers
Handlebar: Ritchey Road, 31.8 x 400mm (48/51), 420mm (54/56), 440mm (58/61)
Stem: Ritchey 4-bolt, forged 6061 alloy, 6º x 90mm (48/51), 100mm (54/56), 120mm (58/61)
Tape: Jamis suede tape with Jamis logo
Seat: Post Ritchey Road, 27.2 x 300mm, alloy clamp with cromo seat pin
Saddle: Selle San Marco Ischia Arrowhead with SL cover and carbon steel rails

my budget is about $1500Aus (a bit less US). I'd be using the bike mainly for commuting, throwing in a small tour here and there. I ride each day but the distances vary (sometimes a mere 2kms, sometimes 10 kms each way).
The other thing I'm worried about is that the reach might be a bit short if I change the drop downs to a flat bar...
Any advice you could give would be appreciated. The Surly specs are on their website here:
http://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check_complete/

thanks a lot,
g