Surprise in my town!

Chirokid

Guest
My daughters and I are the only unicycle riders in my town.
Or at least that is what I thought. Today, on my way driving
back to my office from lunch, I spotted an "Impossible
Wheel" laying outside the door of an apartment building.
This apartment is on the road directly beside my office and
only two blocks away.

Would someone have an "Impossible Wheel" and not have a
unicycle also? --chirokid--

--
chirokid - Wolfman 2004: Unicycle Catagory

"Other than that, the best maintenance is to keep riding it as this
helps to keep the eccentric nut on the saddle in optimal condition."
quote by Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

A BC wheel *is* a unicycle. So how do you know it was a BC
wheel? I don't like the name "impossible" for something that
more and more people are proving isn't. Could it be the
front wheel from a BMX freestyle bike? Or did it have L-
shaped foot brackets like the newer ones?

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,

John, I may have mis-named the wheel. It is a 20" rim, with
solid spoke covers on both sides, then pedals. The cranks
looked to be 125's or so. No frame or seat. So what is it
called? --chirokid--

--
chirokid - Wolfman 2004: Unicycle Catagory

"Other than that, the best maintenance is to keep riding it as this
helps to keep the eccentric nut on the saddle in optimal condition."
quote by Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Whoops, Zod already told me, it is called a TRAP! --chirokid--

--
chirokid - Wolfman 2004: Unicycle Catagory

"Other than that, the best maintenance is to keep riding it as this
helps to keep the eccentric nut on the saddle in optimal condition."
quote by Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

That would be an ultimate wheel, basically a unicycle with
no frame, and the pedals generally bolted to something like
a disc in the rim, no spokes / cranks etc. An impossible /
BC wheel is where there are no pedals and the it freewheels
while the rider stands on pegs / platforms.

John

--
johnhimsworth - Nullus Anxietas

What if the hokey cokey really is what it's all about?
johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788

"john_childs" <[email protected]> wrote
in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'd prefer that people stop calling it an impossible wheel
> and instead call it a coaster wheel. The name BC wheel is
> not going to go away just because it is such a neat name
> and the images of it in the BC comic makes it very visual,
> even though the name makes little sense to people outside
> of the USA.

Even though I am in the UK I had no problems with the name
BC wheel. It made immediate sense despite never having
heard of the cartoon. However I have ridden one before if
my memory is serves me well........many times........in one
of the few computer games I have actually spent time
playing. Anyone else remember "humans".....and was it a
spin off from BC or vice versa? Humans was first out quite
a few years ago now.

Nao

johnhimsworth wrote:
> *That would be an ultimate wheel, John *

Thanks John, yes, it was an ultimate wheel. I sure hope I
can find the "rider". --chirokid--

--
chirokid - Wolfman 2004: Unicycle Catagory

"Other than that, the best maintenance is to keep riding it as this
helps to keep the eccentric nut on the saddle in optimal condition."
quote by Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

A bc and Impossible wheel are completly differnt, The
impossible wheel is actually hard compared to the Bc wheel.
Impossible have stunt pegs on them and a Bc has special made
plates or cranks.

Trev

--
unicycleboy - Freestyle Expert

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/Unicycle-Pictures-from-Uk/NewSig2.jpg]
ok maybe a bit of a juggler.
www.unicycleboy.unicyclist.com
unicycleboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/399

unicycleboy wrote:
> *Impossible have stunt pegs on them and a Bc has special
> made plates or cranks.*
You mean round pegs at axle level that spin and roll your
foot off them? Yes, that's definitely harder than a "proper"
BC wheel. But I would not call it anything other than a "bad
design" wheel.

I actually found out about that "design" many years ago when
I tried some BMX pegs on my old BC wheel. Oops, I didn't
realize they would roll! That's not what I want, I want to
stand on them!

Having the pegs at axle level (even if they don't spin) is
still harder than a BC with the pegs below the axle. David
Winston had one like this, with pedals or small platforms
right at axle level. They were flat on top, so they didn't
spin once you got your weight on them.

I've never seen anyone do anything interesting on your
description of an impossible wheel, other than "fix" it.

--

unicycleboy wrote:
> *A bc and Impossible wheel are completly differnt, The
> impossible wheel is actually hard compared to the Bc
> wheel. Impossible have stunt pegs on them and a Bc has
> special made plates or cranks.
>
> Trev *

Wait but BC wheel is called that because of the newspaper
comic rode a stone wheel that had a round peace of wood
through it that look like pegs.

--
Tim - Coker user

I got me a new summit for $191!
Tim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4671

unicycleboy wrote:
> *A bc and Impossible wheel are completly differnt, The
> impossible wheel is actually hard compared to the Bc
> wheel. Impossible have stunt pegs on them and a Bc has
> special made plates or cranks.
>
> Trev *

A BC wheel and an "impossible" wheel are the same thing. The
different names do not refer to different designs whether
it's a peg at axle level or a platform below the axle level.

We've had the discussion about names for the BC wheel
before. The name "BC wheel" has problems because people
outside of the US who have not seen the BC comic strip have
no idea why it's called a BC wheel. The name "impossible
wheel" has major problems because it is not impossible.
There was a suggestion to call it a "coaster wheel". That's
a descriptive name and I think it works well.

I'd prefer that people stop calling it an impossible wheel
and instead call it a coaster wheel. The name BC wheel is
not going to go away just because it is such a neat name
and the images of it in the BC comic makes it very visual,
even though the name makes little sense to people outside
of the USA.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com