Survey: Best Place in US to Live as a Cyclist

raynim

Apr 10, 2004
So where in the US is the best place to live as a cyclist? I see the perfect place as being a combination of:

-Good riding: good roadways, and well managed mtn bike terrain
-Good riding Climate as much of the year as possible
-Cycling friendly community
-Other: any other living convience, need

Anyone? Where and why? Any other requirements?

anywhere with roads that have wide shoulders and temperate climate... in other words, not where I live ;)

Best place I've seen is Santa Barbara, CA. Boulder is the most bike friendly, but gets cold in the winter. Santa Barbara has great mtn and road biking, good mountains, good flats closer to the ocean, great weather year round, scenic rides, and hot chicks. Only problem is that it's $pendy.

Hi Scotty72

We (my family) are moving to the US next year. It is interesting that New England has a very low representation in that list. We are either going to Harvard U, Mass or Hartford/Farmington Ct.

Anyone have any feedback on either place?
I havent' been to New England so can't comment on that area specifically, but having moved to the US last year from Sydney, I find the hardest thing is the cold and not being able to get out on the road 10 months of the year. That could be part of the issue in the NE area.

We also made the mistake of moving just before Xmas, so went from the blistering heat, long riding days back home to ice storms, no chance in hell of riding outside here. Thankfully my wife bought me an indoor trainer a few years ago for rainy days, and I have put a LOT of miles on it over here.

It did however have some advantages - I went from hilly MTB riding in Sydney to the flat plains of the mid west (long story, don't ask) so have re-aquainted myself with road riding again and having a blast, and not just from the crazy headwinds we get here.

All in all, it's been a fun experience, and I'm sure you will really enjoy cycling in the New England area.

scotty72 said:
We (my family) are moving to the US next year. It is interesting that New England has a very low representation in that list. We are either going to Harvard U, Mass or Hartford/Farmington Ct.

I think part of the lack of representation of New England is that the cities here are large and old. There isn't a lot of space to set aside for bikes. The off season isn't as bad as a lot of people think. Even all the way up here, there are only about four months when I can't ride. I don't have any specific feedback for cycling in Boston or Hartford. The Boston area is great if you don't have to drive anywhere though.

Thanks guys,

I kind of thought that, the old more established areas being harder to retro-fit.

We're set to move next May (depending on the USCIS (INS) ). Best of both worlds, we get Sydney's warm weather right up until it gets cold then move to the northern summer. That way we can gradually acclimatize to the harsh NE winter.

My wife is taking up a position, she had the option of Ct, Ma or Gainsberg Fl.

I begged for Fl, but much better career op in Hartford :(

Thanks

scotty72 said:
Thanks guys,

I kind of thought that, the old more established areas being harder to retro-fit.

We're set to move next May (depending on the USCIS (INS) ). Best of both worlds, we get Sydney's warm weather right up until it gets cold then move to the northern summer. That way we can gradually acclimatize to the harsh NE winter.

My wife is taking up a position, she had the option of Ct, Ma or Gainsberg Fl.

I begged for Fl, but much better career op in Hartford :(

Thanks
The winters here are only as bad as you make them. I find that after a couple months of xc skiing, I'm a lot more excited about getting back on my bike in the spring.

artmichalek said:
The winters here are only as bad as you make them. I find that after a couple months of xc skiing, I'm a lot more excited about getting back on my bike in the spring.
Brrr.

Never skied, don't want to. Too cold.

Didn't see snow 'til I was 28 (had to go to Korea to see it)

Only touched it twice - bbrrrrrrrr.

Excited about the move to New Eng, except that.

:)

Give me a day at Bondi Beach anyday

Scotty

scotty72 said:

Living in Plymouth MA ("America's Home Town"), I see cyclists all over this town and on Cape Cod during the summer months.

artmichalek said:
The Boston area is great if you don't have to drive anywhere though.

How true that is - I work in Boston sometimes and know first hand that driving there can be a NIGHTMARE if you're not familiar with the city....:eek:

As the saying around here goes - "Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to PAHK there".... :D

raynim said:
So where in the US is the best place to live as a cyclist? I see the perfect place as being a combination of:

-Good riding: good roadways, and well managed mtn bike terrain
-Good riding Climate as much of the year as possible
-Cycling friendly community
-Other: any other living convience, need

Anyone? Where and why? Any other requirements?
I live in Palo Alto CA - the best.
Given retirement in a few years, "selling out" and if I was the choice maker, Flagstaff AZ

colorado front range: boulder/fort collins

it gets cold in the winter but you get used to it, and you wont find great, cycling friendly communities surrounded in every direction with great country roads with everything from monsterous rocky mountain passes to endless rolling prairies...

boulder has an amazing cycling community, and fort collins has a better commuter bike infrastructure than any comparably sized city i've seen (in the US at elast)

Boulder County, CO

Yes, it get s bit cold in the winter, but we always have some nice days too. The roads are great and friendly, and the terrain is varied. I can go for a rolling ride in the plains or climb a mountain- either opportunity lies right outside my front door.

Besides, it's not always cold and snowy down here in the winter. I can going skiing one day and ride the next (or even the same day). Often it's 50 or so down here during the height of the ski season.

Yeah, I'm looking out the window right now and it's sunny and about 58 (despite the fact that there's a bunch of new snow on the foothills above town). Too bad I'm not riding out there today.

badhat and I have it made (assuming you live around here too)

my favorite rides in the world are ftc > loveland > estes > devils gulch

and

ftc > loveland > boulder via 83rd/75th

Anywhere in the South end of Puget Sound. The roads are getting widened (ok mostly rural roads), drivers are getting more respectfull of cyclists and then there are the cycling trails (former RR lines.....) they are nice and flat for the days where you went out and put in too much effort early and need an easy way home.:D

Then there are the Puget Sound Cycling clubs! They are all great and offer up lots of supported rides every year.

Then there is the WX.... ok it could be a lot better, but it doesn't get below 32 deg durring the day for too many days a year (< 10 per year) so if you don't mind getting a little wet, and your bike has full fenders (with extensions) you'll get along great with the other riders and have lots of riding oportunities.