Survey: Best Place in US to Live as a Cyclist

The actual city of Eugene is mostly flat but there are large mountains a short ride away so calling it flat is kind of deceptive if you can do more than a 50 mile roundtrip ride.

Oregon is physically the best place I have ridden in the continental US but the weather sucks for 9 months of the year. I liked the weather better in the midwest because at least you see the sun when it's cold outside. 100 straight days of rain (not even a record) and clouds is not very uplifting even for the natives. Go south young man!

Corvallis, OR is on there, and I'm not sure why. As I remember, the bike lanes downtown doubled as parking spaces.

I'll add Austin. It was 85 degrees here in the heart of Texas yesterday. Plus, you never know when or where Lance might appear. Once saw him out pulling a Burley behind a mtb w/ Ms Crow riding next to him on a road bike.

Greg Hall

scotty72 said:
Brrr.

Never skied, don't want to. Too cold.

Didn't see snow 'til I was 28 (had to go to Korea to see it)

Only touched it twice - bbrrrrrrrr.

Excited about the move to New Eng, except that.

:)

Give me a day at Bondi Beach anyday

Scotty
Scotty living in Sydney allows you to see snow if you want. It usually snows once every couple of years in the blue mountains. What do you mean you had to go to korea to see it?

The snowy mountains are only 5 hours drive from sydney. More snow in total square km than switzerland! Believe it or not

28 years never seen snow. You have lived a sheltered life.

MPCRUSHER said:
Scotty living in Sydney allows you to see snow if you want. It usually snows once every couple of years in the blue mountains. What do you mean you had to go to korea to see it?

The snowy mountains are only 5 hours drive from sydney. More snow in total square km than switzerland! Believe it or not

28 years never seen snow. You have lived a sheltered life.
I meant I never got around to going to the snow, I'm not a fan of the cold.

I lived in Korea for a while, I couldn't avoid the stuff there... :)

scotty72 said:
I meant I never got around to going to the snow, I'm not a fan of the cold.

I lived in Korea for a while, I couldn't avoid the stuff there... :)

I get you now.

By the way where in Sydney do you teach? What do you teach?

e-doc said:
Hummm, the south (though only know about NC, SW Va and NE Tenn) No leash laws, cars that honk at you and drivers that tell you to "Get the F*CK of the road", hit you because they are drunk then drive off, even throw things at you. Makes life interesting (except the trucks with the gun racks.) The weather is nice though (except in NC mountains which are like Vt, only not as cold)
BTW, am a native NC boy
Ill throw in a vote for NC, especially the Cary/Raleigh/Morrisville area. I ride these areas on a regular basis, no problems with cars or traffic, because most roads have a generous shoulder, or bike lane.

South of that, especially towards Lillington, Fuquay-Varina or Dunn where I went/go to school, its rednecks in 4wd as far as the eye can see. I shattered a rednecks back glass with a frozen water bottle one day after he ran me off the road on purpose, and he reported it to the sheriff. The sheriff was my riding buddy as it were, told the guy if he was close enough for me to break his window, he was entire too close.

As for the dogs, not really a problem. I carried a can of mace. One spray, they usually wouldnt bother you anymore.

Oh, and the mountains, especially the Blue Ridge? Well, lets just say, Lance trained there for a reason...

Ventura, California
Best weather, best routes. I can go in many different directions, except west, and ride different types of terrain. There are ocean routes and mountain routes. There are routes where there is nothing but lemon orchards and strawberry fields. There are routes that take you by lakes and stream. Ventura has it all!!!!!!

Snow? What is this "snow" I hear speak of? How would it blend with the flood waters down here in New Orleans? Would all of the how air from politicians melt it and create further flooding and prevent me from riding longer?

Ok, I changed my mind, Denver is great in the summer but......:eek:

Tonight, -4 F with a with chill of -16 F is nuts!!!!! Hmmmmm ...... maybe a winter move is in store....

it looks like there are a lot of great biking cities out there...However Charleston SC is not one of them. We have no shoulders on our roads. and on top of that you have rednecks in there jacked up picks ups with no understanding of sharing :mad:

I have to vote for Southern California, but I admit to being biased. We have it all in that the weather is almost always perfect, The choice of differant terrain is unlimited, and the women are unbeatable. You can choose from steep rides in the mountains (Mt Baldy 5000 feet plus in about 12 miles),flat rides in the desert (Joshua Trees National Park has increadable road rides), and rides next to the waves along the beaches ( Hunnington beach in summer will get you killed if you watch the female talent on skates.) All in all, it is hard to find such variety in such a close proximity anywhere else that I have been. The one drawback is finding the places to ride without dealing with the 15 million or so people that live within such a small area.

Central Florida - Clermont and Astatula area (sugarhill mountain). Great climate, lots of trail, drivers are so so. I can cycle in January with no sleeves, jacket, or clothes if i so desired. Nice and warm