Survey: Hubmotor(s) actually water-proof?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Meditationman, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. I saw a hubmotor (Crystalyte?) which had small wires coming out of the hub's axle that imho didn't
    have a water-tight seal. Which brings up my question, below:

    If you have tried your hub motor "in the wet", please post your experience (review) along with the
    make/model of the hubmotor. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. MeditationMan wrote:

    > I saw a hubmotor (Crystalyte?) which had small wires coming out of the hub's axle that imho didn't
    > have a water-tight seal. Which brings up my question, below:
    >
    > If you have tried your hub motor "in the wet", please post your experience (review) along with the
    > make/model of the hubmotor. Thanks.

    If it's 12V, it would run underwater with no sealing of the electrics.

  3. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    Water tight seals would add to friction, so not a likely preparation for abnormal driving conditions. There are some amphibious electric bikes on the market though.

    Current Crystalyte brushless motors run on 24/36/48V systems.

    New 12V electric bikes are NOW rare, 2-3 years ago they were probably the majority-although I don't recall any 12V hub motors. Any idea on the age?

    I don't have a hub motor, but my Currie, which is 24V brushless, has got caught in the rain a time or two. I'd never try it if submerged till it dried out. Were you asking about rain or submersion?

    There are lots of Crystalye users active on yahoo groups:powerassist. However, new membership approval now needed for posting/reading may take about a month. Archives up to about a year or two ago are available to nonmembers.
    Try their website: http://crystalyte.com/.

    The maker also sometimes posts on the recumbent boards.