Survey: Hubmotor(s) actually water-proof?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Meditationman, Nov 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I saw a hubmotor (Crystalyte?) which had small wires coming out of the hub's axle that imho didn't
    have a water-tight seal. Which brings up my question, below:

If you have tried your hub motor "in the wet", please post your experience (review) along with the
    make/model of the hubmotor. Thanks.

Tags:

2. MeditationMan wrote:

> I saw a hubmotor (Crystalyte?) which had small wires coming out of the hub's axle that imho didn't
    > have a water-tight seal. Which brings up my question, below:
    >
    > If you have tried your hub motor "in the wet", please post your experience (review) along with the
    > make/model of the hubmotor. Thanks.

If it's 12V, it would run underwater with no sealing of the electrics.

3. meb

meb New Member

Water tight seals would add to friction, so not a likely preparation for abnormal driving conditions. There are some amphibious electric bikes on the market though.

Current Crystalyte brushless motors run on 24/36/48V systems.

New 12V electric bikes are NOW rare, 2-3 years ago they were probably the majority-although I don't recall any 12V hub motors. Any idea on the age?

I don't have a hub motor, but my Currie, which is 24V brushless, has got caught in the rain a time or two. I'd never try it if submerged till it dried out. Were you asking about rain or submersion?

There are lots of Crystalye users active on yahoo groups:powerassist. However, new membership approval now needed for posting/reading may take about a month. Archives up to about a year or two ago are available to nonmembers.
    Try their website: http://crystalyte.com/.

The maker also sometimes posts on the recumbent boards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.