Survey: Hubmotor(s) actually water-proof?

Meditationman

Guest
I saw a hubmotor (Crystalyte?) which had small wires coming out of the hub's axle that imho didn't
have a water-tight seal. Which brings up my question, below:

If you have tried your hub motor "in the wet", please post your experience (review) along with the
make/model of the hubmotor. Thanks.

MeditationMan wrote:

> I saw a hubmotor (Crystalyte?) which had small wires coming out of the hub's axle that imho didn't
> have a water-tight seal. Which brings up my question, below:
>
> If you have tried your hub motor "in the wet", please post your experience (review) along with the
> make/model of the hubmotor. Thanks.

If it's 12V, it would run underwater with no sealing of the electrics.

Originally posted by Zog The Undenia
MeditationMan wrote:

> I saw a hubmotor (Crystalyte?) which had small wires coming out of the hub's axle that imho didn't
> have a water-tight seal. Which brings up my question, below:
>
> If you have tried your hub motor "in the wet", please post your experience (review) along with the
> make/model of the hubmotor. Thanks.

If it's 12V, it would run underwater with no sealing of the electrics.

Water tight seals would add to friction, so not a likely preparation for abnormal driving conditions. There are some amphibious electric bikes on the market though.

Current Crystalyte brushless motors run on 24/36/48V systems.

New 12V electric bikes are NOW rare, 2-3 years ago they were probably the majority-although I don't recall any 12V hub motors. Any idea on the age?

I don't have a hub motor, but my Currie, which is 24V brushless, has got caught in the rain a time or two. I'd never try it if submerged till it dried out. Were you asking about rain or submersion?

There are lots of Crystalye users active on yahoo groups:powerassist. However, new membership approval now needed for posting/reading may take about a month. Archives up to about a year or two ago are available to nonmembers.
Try their website: http://crystalyte.com/.

The maker also sometimes posts on the recumbent boards.