Survey: If you bike with a trailer, does it improve your safety?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Meditationman, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Do you agree that pulling a bike trailer seems to magically cause cars to move further away?

    Tags:

  2. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "MeditationMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Do you agree that pulling a bike trailer seems to magically cause cars to move further away?

    It ain't magic - the trailer takes up more of the lane. I suppose that the bright red and yellow may
    help. Perhaps it is the thought that there is a child inside. Who knows? But they do give me a much
    wider berth and even let me switch lanes without much hassle.

    -Buck

  3. Papayahed1

    Papayahed1 Guest

    >Do you agree that pulling a bike trailer seems to magically cause cars to move further away?

    yup. Except for trucks North of Sault Ste. Marie...

  4. DiabloScott

    DiabloScott New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Messages:
    2,284
    Riding with my daughter in the trailer makes ME an extra safe rider. I'm even more aware of everything that's going on around me and even better able to spot potential hazards. I'm out there riding for the enjoyment of being with her rather than to get my endorphines.

  5. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    MeditationMan wrote:

    > Do you agree that pulling a bike trailer seems to magically cause cars to move further away?

    I feel safer without the trailer since I'm then out of the way of the cars even if they
    stay in lane.

    Also a trailer restricts you in pothole avoidance, since you have to figure three tracks not one.

    And, every uphill is twice as steep, if you're pulling your own weight more or less anyway. You'd be
    surprised how many unnoticed grades there are on your regular routes.

    Tanjor solved the wind resistance problem but the sheer physical uphill hauling remains.
    http://www.lodrag.com happy to give them a plug. The wind-proof enclosure makes it useable for
    living creatures in arctic winds, say Dobermans for instance.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  6. Papayahed1 <[email protected]> wrote:
    : yup. Except for trucks North of Sault Ste. Marie...

    do the trucks aim for children north of sault ste. marie?

    isn't that peace-loving ontario? a province renowned for (among other things) its near complete lack
    of baby-mulching machines and if i am to believe michael moore perpetually unlocked front doors.
    it's the UP that near single-handedly gave birth to american methcathinone usage. maybe you meant
    south? anyway, the UP shares that nice bridge at least.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  7. Buck wrote:
    > "MeditationMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >

    >>Do you agree that pulling a bike trailer seems to magically cause cars to move further away?
    >

    > It ain't magic - the trailer takes up more of the lane. I suppose that the bright red and yellow
    > may help. Perhaps it is the thought that there is a child inside. Who knows? But they do give me a
    > much wider berth and even let me switch lanes without much hassle.
    >
    > -Buck

    I use a BOB Coz trailer which is no wider then my bike is with panniers full and dark green and
    pretty obviously doesn't have a child inside. But cars do me a wider berth. It's probably just the
    unusualness that makes it more noticeable.

    Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

    "Americans are broad-minded people. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a
    dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive there's something
    wrong with him." Art Buchwald

  8. [email protected] (MeditationMan) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Do you agree that pulling a bike trailer seems to magically cause cars to move further away?

    Completely agree. I bought a BOB Yak to further minimize use of the car. I'm putting it in storage
    next month.

    I've noticed that people slow down and look at me a lot more. Some laughs, but mostly they must
    think I'm crazy. Or poor.

    I'd like to think that they're admiring the calf muscles I've gotten hauling 50lb loads of
    groceries. :)

    -Whit

  9. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    Yes, vehicles seem to give a lot more room. I have a Trek "CC Ryder" trailer, which is 33 inches
    wide, which is about 10 inches more than my shoulder width.

    Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Also a trailer restricts you in pothole avoidance, since you have to figure three tracks not one.

    I just yell "bump" to my kids in the trailer.

    RFM