Survey says? rollers?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by 98gtw, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. 98gtw

    98gtw Guest

    Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season exercise.

    --
    Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer

    [q1]> Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season exercise.[/q1]

    If you read Al Kubeluis thread on "Cold Weather Riding", there is no off- season.

    I know (and admire) too many people to ever consider riding indoors.

    My best touring buddy from SW Va. commutes daily on his P-38 On Monday, he reported a temperature
    of 15. He did not mention wind-chill. I did not have the courage to ask. I had to settle for a
    balmy 35 that day.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. I could never get my Vision R64 to stay on the dang things. I have "loaned" them to a DF rider, with
    the option that I will sell them to him if he can take off a t-shirt while riding on the rollers. I
    could on my DFs.

    "98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season exercise.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> --[/q1]
    [q1]> Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer[/q1]

  4. Would someone please advise on where to obtain the Kreitler Challenge rollers or a website address?

    I am looking for suitable rollers for a Challenge Jester.

    Thnx.

    [email protected] (Pat) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    [q1]> 98GTW <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
    [q1]> news:<[email protected]>...[/q1]
    [q2]> > Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season exercise.[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I purchased a set Kreitler Challenger rollers this winter and ride my Strada on them....other than[/q1]
    [q1]> the Strada itself, the rollers have easily been my best cycling purchase. Once you get past the[/q1]
    [q1]> learning curve, they can provide a great workout, are easy on your frame (as opposed to fluid and[/q1]
    [q1]> magnetic trainers), enhance your spinning and balancing skills greatly and because you have to[/q1]
    [q1]> concentrate on riding, the are less boring than the other forms of indoor cycling.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> While not as interseting as real outdoor riding, indoor training is certainly convenient which[/q1]
    [q1]> allows you to get in more miles. Last night I got home after attending some family related events,[/q1]
    [q1]> it was about 10:pM and I was able to spend 45 minutes working out at the end of the day.....that[/q1]
    [q1]> wouldn't have happened if I could only ride outdoors.[/q1]

  5. Eric Hirsch

    Eric Hirsch Guest

    I tried the Kreitler rollers for my Rans Stratus XL. Even with an extension Kreitler built, I
    couldn't get them to work. The bike kept rocking back and forth; I never could solve the problem. I
    settled on a stationary trainer, the Performance TravelTrak. That worked fine last winter. I decided
    however that I really wanted to be able to use a trainer on those days when I couldn't ride, even in
    the spring through fall riding season. It was just too much of a pain to bring the bike inside, set
    it up on the trainer, etc. Trainers also result in excessive tire wear, so you don't necessarily
    want to use your usual expensive road tires.

    So I purchased a Schwinn 215P recumbent exercise bike, partly due to advice from people on this
    list. It's been fantastic, a position very close to that on my Stratus, fits me even though I'm 6'5"
    tall, has plenty of resistance, has all the functions you really need like level of resistance,
    cadence, calories burned, etc. Highly recommended.

    Eric Hirsch Rhode Island Rans Stratus

  6. Akensmith

    Akensmith Guest

    >Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season
    exercise.>>

    Yes. This is the third winter I've ridden my P-38 on Kreitler Challenger rollers.

    Norm

  7. Akensmith

    Akensmith Guest

    >Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season
    exercise.>>

    Yes. This is the third winter I've ridden my P-38 on Kreitler Challenger rollers.

    Norm

  8. Carl

    Carl Guest

    in article [email protected], 98GTW at [email protected]
    wrote on 1/15/03 11:54 AM:

    > Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season exercise.

    I ride my Strada on Kreitler Challenger rollers. I have the basic Challenger unit, no extension
    needed for the Strada (just barely fits at the longest setting without an extension). I passed on
    the headwind attachment and just use a regular fan. I find it much more challenging & useful than I
    ever found the trainer stand.

    -Carl

  9. Carl

    wrote on 1/15/03 11:54 AM:

    > Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season exercise.

    I ride my Strada on Kreitler Challenger rollers. I have the basic Challenger unit, no extension
    needed for the Strada (just barely fits at the longest setting without an extension). I passed on
    the headwind attachment and just use a regular fan. I find it much more challenging & useful than I
    ever found the trainer stand.

    -Carl

  10. Philbert

    Philbert Guest

    Fluid2 here. Riding indoors sucks, but its better than ridng in 4 degree weather....

    "98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season exercise.
    >
    > --
    > Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer

  11. Philbert

    Philbert Guest

    Fluid2 here. Riding indoors sucks, but its better than ridng in 4 degree weather....

    "98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season exercise.
    >
    > --
    > Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer

  12. Pat

    Pat Guest

    98GTW <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season exercise.

    I purchased a set Kreitler Challenger rollers this winter and ride my Strada on them....other than
    the Strada itself, the rollers have easily been my best cycling purchase. Once you get past the
    learning curve, they can provide a great workout, are easy on your frame (as opposed to fluid and
    magnetic trainers), enhance your spinning and balancing skills greatly and because you have to
    concentrate on riding, the are less boring than the other forms of indoor cycling.

    While not as interseting as real outdoor riding, indoor training is certainly convenient which
    allows you to get in more miles. Last night I got home after attending some family related events,
    it was about 10:pM and I was able to spend 45 minutes working out at the end of the day.....that
    wouldn't have happened if I could only ride outdoors.

  13. Pat

    Pat Guest

    98GTW <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season exercise.

    I purchased a set Kreitler Challenger rollers this winter and ride my Strada on them....other than
    the Strada itself, the rollers have easily been my best cycling purchase. Once you get past the
    learning curve, they can provide a great workout, are easy on your frame (as opposed to fluid and
    magnetic trainers), enhance your spinning and balancing skills greatly and because you have to
    concentrate on riding, the are less boring than the other forms of indoor cycling.

    While not as interseting as real outdoor riding, indoor training is certainly convenient which
    allows you to get in more miles. Last night I got home after attending some family related events,
    it was about 10:pM and I was able to spend 45 minutes working out at the end of the day.....that
    wouldn't have happened if I could only ride outdoors.

  14. Hi Dave,

    Rollers are ok for some workouts: spin techniques, warm-ups, maybe balance development. But IMHO
    they are inferior for strength training, and are less than perfect for aerobic training. I really
    think the trainer you use should provide for a wide range of effort. I use a Kurt Kinetic trainer
    for isolated-leg training(try that on a roller!)and I use 52-11 for strength training. You just
    don't have that flexiblity with rollers. Regards, Greg RANS V2

  15. Hi Dave,

    Rollers are ok for some workouts: spin techniques, warm-ups, maybe balance development. But IMHO
    they are inferior for strength training, and are less than perfect for aerobic training. I really
    think the trainer you use should provide for a wide range of effort. I use a Kurt Kinetic trainer
    for isolated-leg training(try that on a roller!)and I use 52-11 for strength training. You just
    don't have that flexiblity with rollers. Regards, Greg RANS V2

  16. Pat

    Pat Guest

    [email protected] (Greg Dorfmeier) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Dave,
    >
    > Rollers are ok for some workouts: spin techniques, warm-ups, maybe balance development. But IMHO
    > they are inferior for strength training, and are less than perfect for aerobic training. I really
    > think the trainer you use should provide for a wide range of effort. I use a Kurt Kinetic trainer
    > for isolated-leg training(try that on a roller!)and I use 52-11 for strength training. You just
    > don't have that flexiblity with rollers. Regards, Greg RANS V2

    ` Actually I do isolated leg training on rollers.....I assume you are referring to pedaling with
    one leg at a time. It can be a bit more of a challenge but certainly not all that difficult
    especially if you have a wall close by should you need to catch your balance. As to strength
    training, you can easily increase the resistance of rollers by changing gears as you do on a
    stationary trainer. I certainly haven't run out of gears as of yet. There is a thread about indoor
    training on Bent Rider On-Line under the Racing section that has alot of good advice for both
    stationary trainers and rollers.

    Training methods are a personal preference thing and whatever works for that individual is the thing
    to do.....but doing something is better than laying off for the winter.

    Pat

  17. Pat

    Pat Guest

    [email protected] (Greg Dorfmeier) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Dave,
    >
    > Rollers are ok for some workouts: spin techniques, warm-ups, maybe balance development. But IMHO
    > they are inferior for strength training, and are less than perfect for aerobic training. I really
    > think the trainer you use should provide for a wide range of effort. I use a Kurt Kinetic trainer
    > for isolated-leg training(try that on a roller!)and I use 52-11 for strength training. You just
    > don't have that flexiblity with rollers. Regards, Greg RANS V2

    ` Actually I do isolated leg training on rollers.....I assume you are referring to pedaling with
    one leg at a time. It can be a bit more of a challenge but certainly not all that difficult
    especially if you have a wall close by should you need to catch your balance. As to strength
    training, you can easily increase the resistance of rollers by changing gears as you do on a
    stationary trainer. I certainly haven't run out of gears as of yet. There is a thread about indoor
    training on Bent Rider On-Line under the Racing section that has alot of good advice for both
    stationary trainers and rollers.

    Training methods are a personal preference thing and whatever works for that individual is the thing
    to do.....but doing something is better than laying off for the winter.

    Pat

  18. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:33:15 -0600, Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If you read Al Kubeluis thread on "Cold Weather Riding", there is no off- season.

    Just so. Not that it's been much below -5ºC around here so far this year, which isn't really cold.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  19. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:33:15 -0600, Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If you read Al Kubeluis thread on "Cold Weather Riding", there is no off- season.

    Just so. Not that it's been much below -5ºC around here so far this year, which isn't really cold.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  20. Pat

    Pat Guest

    [email protected] (Bruce Griffin) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Would someone please advise on where to obtain the Kreitler Challenge rollers or a website
    > address?
    >
    > I am looking for suitable rollers for a Challenge Jester.

    Go to Kreitler.com but keep in mind that you will need to order them through your local bike shop or
    your not so local bike shop....I know that Zach Kaplan can order them and have them sent directly to
    you and you get to support a bent provider. Also keep in mind that if your wheelbase needs to be
    less or slightly less than 46" as the front wheel needs to be positioned behind the front roller.

    Pat