Survey says? rollers?

98gtw

Guest
Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season exercise.

--
Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer

[q1]> Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season exercise.[/q1]

If you read Al Kubeluis thread on "Cold Weather Riding", there is no off- season.

I know (and admire) too many people to ever consider riding indoors.

My best touring buddy from SW Va. commutes daily on his P-38 On Monday, he reported a temperature
of 15. He did not mention wind-chill. I did not have the courage to ask. I had to settle for a
balmy 35 that day.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

I could never get my Vision R64 to stay on the dang things. I have "loaned" them to a DF rider, with
the option that I will sell them to him if he can take off a t-shirt while riding on the rollers. I
could on my DFs.

"98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season exercise.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> --[/q1]
[q1]> Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer[/q1]

Would someone please advise on where to obtain the Kreitler Challenge rollers or a website address?

I am looking for suitable rollers for a Challenge Jester.

Thnx.

[email protected] (Pat) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
[q1]> 98GTW <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> news:<[email protected]>...[/q1]
[q2]> > Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season exercise.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I purchased a set Kreitler Challenger rollers this winter and ride my Strada on them....other than[/q1]
[q1]> the Strada itself, the rollers have easily been my best cycling purchase. Once you get past the[/q1]
[q1]> learning curve, they can provide a great workout, are easy on your frame (as opposed to fluid and[/q1]
[q1]> magnetic trainers), enhance your spinning and balancing skills greatly and because you have to[/q1]
[q1]> concentrate on riding, the are less boring than the other forms of indoor cycling.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> While not as interseting as real outdoor riding, indoor training is certainly convenient which[/q1]
[q1]> allows you to get in more miles. Last night I got home after attending some family related events,[/q1]
[q1]> it was about 10:pM and I was able to spend 45 minutes working out at the end of the day.....that[/q1]
[q1]> wouldn't have happened if I could only ride outdoors.[/q1]

I tried the Kreitler rollers for my Rans Stratus XL. Even with an extension Kreitler built, I
couldn't get them to work. The bike kept rocking back and forth; I never could solve the problem. I
settled on a stationary trainer, the Performance TravelTrak. That worked fine last winter. I decided
however that I really wanted to be able to use a trainer on those days when I couldn't ride, even in
the spring through fall riding season. It was just too much of a pain to bring the bike inside, set
it up on the trainer, etc. Trainers also result in excessive tire wear, so you don't necessarily
want to use your usual expensive road tires.

So I purchased a Schwinn 215P recumbent exercise bike, partly due to advice from people on this
list. It's been fantastic, a position very close to that on my Stratus, fits me even though I'm 6'5"
tall, has plenty of resistance, has all the functions you really need like level of resistance,
cadence, calories burned, etc. Highly recommended.

Eric Hirsch Rhode Island Rans Stratus

>Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season
exercise.>>

Yes. This is the third winter I've ridden my P-38 on Kreitler Challenger rollers.

Norm

>Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season
exercise.>>

Yes. This is the third winter I've ridden my P-38 on Kreitler Challenger rollers.

Norm

in article [email protected], 98GTW at [email protected]
wrote on 1/15/03 11:54 AM:

> Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season exercise.

I ride my Strada on Kreitler Challenger rollers. I have the basic Challenger unit, no extension
needed for the Strada (just barely fits at the longest setting without an extension). I passed on
the headwind attachment and just use a regular fan. I find it much more challenging & useful than I
ever found the trainer stand.

-Carl

wrote on 1/15/03 11:54 AM:

> Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season exercise.

I ride my Strada on Kreitler Challenger rollers. I have the basic Challenger unit, no extension
needed for the Strada (just barely fits at the longest setting without an extension). I passed on
the headwind attachment and just use a regular fan. I find it much more challenging & useful than I
ever found the trainer stand.

-Carl

98GTW <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season exercise.

I purchased a set Kreitler Challenger rollers this winter and ride my Strada on them....other than
the Strada itself, the rollers have easily been my best cycling purchase. Once you get past the
learning curve, they can provide a great workout, are easy on your frame (as opposed to fluid and
magnetic trainers), enhance your spinning and balancing skills greatly and because you have to
concentrate on riding, the are less boring than the other forms of indoor cycling.

While not as interseting as real outdoor riding, indoor training is certainly convenient which
allows you to get in more miles. Last night I got home after attending some family related events,
it was about 10:pM and I was able to spend 45 minutes working out at the end of the day.....that
wouldn't have happened if I could only ride outdoors.

98GTW <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Just wondering if anyone else rides rollers on a 'bent as off-season exercise.

I purchased a set Kreitler Challenger rollers this winter and ride my Strada on them....other than
the Strada itself, the rollers have easily been my best cycling purchase. Once you get past the
learning curve, they can provide a great workout, are easy on your frame (as opposed to fluid and
magnetic trainers), enhance your spinning and balancing skills greatly and because you have to
concentrate on riding, the are less boring than the other forms of indoor cycling.

While not as interseting as real outdoor riding, indoor training is certainly convenient which
allows you to get in more miles. Last night I got home after attending some family related events,
it was about 10:pM and I was able to spend 45 minutes working out at the end of the day.....that
wouldn't have happened if I could only ride outdoors.

Hi Dave,

Rollers are ok for some workouts: spin techniques, warm-ups, maybe balance development. But IMHO
they are inferior for strength training, and are less than perfect for aerobic training. I really
think the trainer you use should provide for a wide range of effort. I use a Kurt Kinetic trainer
for isolated-leg training(try that on a roller!)and I use 52-11 for strength training. You just
don't have that flexiblity with rollers. Regards, Greg RANS V2

Hi Dave,

Rollers are ok for some workouts: spin techniques, warm-ups, maybe balance development. But IMHO
they are inferior for strength training, and are less than perfect for aerobic training. I really
think the trainer you use should provide for a wide range of effort. I use a Kurt Kinetic trainer
for isolated-leg training(try that on a roller!)and I use 52-11 for strength training. You just
don't have that flexiblity with rollers. Regards, Greg RANS V2

[email protected] (Greg Dorfmeier) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi Dave,
>
> Rollers are ok for some workouts: spin techniques, warm-ups, maybe balance development. But IMHO
> they are inferior for strength training, and are less than perfect for aerobic training. I really
> think the trainer you use should provide for a wide range of effort. I use a Kurt Kinetic trainer
> for isolated-leg training(try that on a roller!)and I use 52-11 for strength training. You just
> don't have that flexiblity with rollers. Regards, Greg RANS V2

` Actually I do isolated leg training on rollers.....I assume you are referring to pedaling with
one leg at a time. It can be a bit more of a challenge but certainly not all that difficult
especially if you have a wall close by should you need to catch your balance. As to strength
training, you can easily increase the resistance of rollers by changing gears as you do on a
stationary trainer. I certainly haven't run out of gears as of yet. There is a thread about indoor
training on Bent Rider On-Line under the Racing section that has alot of good advice for both
stationary trainers and rollers.

Training methods are a personal preference thing and whatever works for that individual is the thing
to do.....but doing something is better than laying off for the winter.

Pat

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:33:15 -0600, Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote:

>If you read Al Kubeluis thread on "Cold Weather Riding", there is no off- season.

Just so. Not that it's been much below -5ºC around here so far this year, which isn't really cold.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:33:15 -0600, Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote:

>If you read Al Kubeluis thread on "Cold Weather Riding", there is no off- season.

Just so. Not that it's been much below -5ºC around here so far this year, which isn't really cold.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

[email protected] (Bruce Griffin) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Would someone please advise on where to obtain the Kreitler Challenge rollers or a website
> address?
>
> I am looking for suitable rollers for a Challenge Jester.

Go to Kreitler.com but keep in mind that you will need to order them through your local bike shop or
your not so local bike shop....I know that Zach Kaplan can order them and have them sent directly to
you and you get to support a bent provider. Also keep in mind that if your wheelbase needs to be
less or slightly less than 46" as the front wheel needs to be positioned behind the front roller.

Pat