survival rates for coronary heart disease

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Arben, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Arben

    Arben Guest

    Hi My best friend has been diagnosed with coronary heart disease.He is 29 years-old.Does anybody
    know the average survival rate for operations at his age in the UK?

    Tags:

  2. Nigel

    Nigel Guest

    [email protected] (Arben) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Hi My best friend has been diagnosed with coronary heart disease.He is 29 years-old.Does anybody
    > know the average survival rate for operations at his age in the UK?

    I suggest you start with http://www.nhs.uk/default.asp

    NHS has been collecting statistics specific to hospitals in an attempt to analyse all aspects of
    performance including waiting times and morbidity and mortality information.

    His own surgeon/cardiologist should also be able to provide information about the risks and benefits
    of treatment alternatives.

  3. [email protected] (Arben) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi My best friend has been diagnosed with coronary heart disease.He is 29 years-old.Does anybody
    > know the average survival rate for operations at his age in the UK?

    Should be about 95% when things are optimal (no other cormorbid factors).

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W3C323D57

  4. Nigel

    Nigel Guest

    Nigel <I.don'[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    You may also find useful information at www.nice.org.uk

  5. Carol T

    Carol T Guest

    > is 29 years-old.Does anybody know the average survival rate for operations at his age in the
    > UK?<<<<<<<<<<

    You are supposed to be able to work this out from the performance tables.
    http://www.doh.gov.uk/nhsperformanceindicators/hlpi2002/index.html Other countries also keep
    similar records.

    In reality you will get the doctor he is sent to, so looking into statistics are pointless. Nothing
    would be more distressing than looking into the statistical side only to find out that the only
    doctor he can chose from has a statistically low survival rate.

    What is his chance of surviving without the operation? If it's nil, then any odds are good odds. All
    this aside, stats may not reflect age variations and complexity of cases. For example, doctors may
    operate early on conditions in a country where there is private medicine, but the NHS might treat it
    with drugs. This may mean that many ops are done as emergencies at a time when health is at its
    worse and death more likely, especially in the elderly. So any stats you interpret may not be
    relevant to his situation anyway.

    If he is very poorly and put on a waiting list it might be better to consider going abroad or
    private in the UK. ( a whip round and a few fund raisers can take him long way; not just for the
    treatment, but because he knows you care! )

    I do know that statistically its better that he's a male if he has a heart condition than female, as
    the possibility of heart problems in men are taken more seriously and investigated much earlier.

    I'm not a doctor BTW, I just know a little about why 'not' to bother too much about stats in the UK.
    Ignorance is very good medicine for the psychological well-being.

    He's 29, so it's a good age to want to live. If he likes and trusts his doctor, he's half way there
    and he obviously has at least one good friend.

    You could pray together.

    "For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them." NKJ
    Mathew 18:20

    all the best.

    Carol T

  6. Nigel

    Nigel Guest

    [email protected] (Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > [email protected] (Arben) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Hi My best friend has been diagnosed with coronary heart disease.He is 29 years-old.Does anybody
    >> know the average survival rate for operations at his age in the UK?
    >
    > Should be about 95% when things are optimal (no other cormorbid factors).

    What is your source for 95%? It sounds low since people do not routinely die on the operating table
    even during CABG surgery. I would avoid a surgeon that is killing 1 in 20 patients. In CABG patients
    in the US under 50, typically men have in hospital mortality of about 1% and women about 3%.

    We have no idea of the specific diagnosis and no idea of the treatment contemplated (angioplasty,
    CABG, MIDCAB, drugs, diet and exercise, etc.) we have no basis to provide any statistics. It seems
    to me that the best that can be done is provide sources for specific stats.