survival tactics for road cycling

David Henderson

Mar 14, 2010
I just saw some local news of a bicyclist who was struck by a car and killed. The details were not given, so I don't know the exact cause.

At anyrate, I've compiled a list of survival tactics for road riding that may save someone some skin or a trip to an Emergency Room. http://myworldfromabicycle.blogspot.com/2010/08/bike-safe-my-survival-tactics-for-road.html

If anyone can think of additional helpful strategies or techniques for safe riding please add it to the comments and I'll add it to the list.

Regards,
David Henderson

Reactions: SierraSlim
All great advice that will keep you safe. Your advice about travelling the same roads at the same time is good. Predictability is crucial for a cyclist, been seen and predictable will enhance your safty. I also agree with you about arguing with drivers, this is pointless. Most drivers are decent human beings who may make a mistake now and then, remonstrating with them is pointless because they will already know what they've done and take extra care.
Idiot drivers are idiot people as well, getting into arguments with them is a total waste of time. They're pond life, they see only theor own pointless lives and don't care about anyone else.
Being a confident rider is crucial, being bold without being aggressive goes a long way to ensuring your safety. Taking the lane on narrow roads to prevent cars from trying to sneak past you is a good tactic, nothing's surer than that some idiot will try to get past you and push you into the kerb.
Here where I live we had a spate of cycling accidents last year where one young woman was killed. The majority of the accidents involved women. An enquiery revealed that all the accidents were occuring at junctions and that the majority of casulties were women. One theory put forward for the cause was that women riders tend to be unassertive on the road, trying to hug the kerb and behaving as though they were intruders on the road rather than legitimate road users.
You need to draw a balance between assertive riding and aggressive riding. Some cyclists give the rest of us a bad name, you know the guy weaving in and out of traffic shouting abuse at terrified drivers and giving them the finger.
Anyway great post.

Thanks for replying. I never considered male vs female riding styles and the effects on injury and death as a result.

That was good info. I've ridden like that myself for the last 40 some odd years and never really thought about it, it just seemed the safe and prudent thing to do, some things I learned over a period of time as experience was gained. I guess that's why my accidents have been very low with cars with only 2 since I was 8 and I'm now 56. Only one of the car contacts resulted in minor injury but totaled the bike, the other I was just plain lucky nothing got hurt or damaged.

Problem with riding today though are the drivers not paying attention because of technology in their cars. You could be riding down a country road staying far right and the driver veers off the road and hits you from behind. There's nothing you can do to prevent that. You can't hear it coming, you may hear the car but think the guys is driving where their suppose to be but can't hear their going to veer off and hit you. Even if you glance back and by chance happen to see the car veering, where do you go? You won't even have time to go anywhere, and if you do you may find yourself going off a cliff.

Cycling has some dangers associated with the sport, but if you follow those things listed in the website provided by the poster you will increase your chances of staying alive dramatically.

Some more tactics:

A bright flashing light, during daytime, will make you much more visible.

Keeping on backstreets and roads, as much as possible, where there is less traffic.

Use sidewalks as much as plausible, to stay far away from cars.

When using a heavy traffic road go as fast, as is safe, until past it.

Use a rear view mirror so you can know, asap, when you need to get over as much as possible.

Never drive against traffic. Sidewalks are for pedestrians and not for bikes you will be safer riding on the road than riding on and off sidewalks.

Originally Posted by davereo .

Never drive against traffic. Sidewalks are for pedestrians and not for bikes you will be safer riding on the road than riding on and off sidewalks.
Never ride against traffic.

Davereo: You are 100% correct: "Never ride against traffic". That statement was so obvious to me that I failed to add it to my list. Thanks!

Chillin': Your items 1, 2, and 4 are 100% correct.
Item 3 of riding on the sidewalks is generally a no go. In fact, many cities have ordinances (laws/rules) against this. I understand your thought. There may be occasions where popping of the road is advisable, but as a general rule: do not ride your bicycle on the sidewalk.

Item 5 is debatable in that sometimes road conditions/situations are not safe for a automobile to pass a cyclist (I'm describing roadways where bicyclists have legal right to use). When a cyclist moves over tight to the edge of the road during this described scenario it's as if they are inviting (or daring) a driver to "shoot the opening" instead of waiting for a safer spot to pass. Take the whole lane (in this described scenario) and remain uninjured I say.

In a number of Florida cities, the "sidewalk" is the bikepath as well. Most of the main roads in Port Orange and South Daytona have a 7.5 foot wide sidewalk/bikepath on one side of the roadway or the other. Those roadways have only a 16" shoulder that butts up against a curb. Not a good idea to try the roadway in those locations.

Adios, Daddo
Daytona Beach, Florida - USA

Considering i'm a new beginner cyclist I found your link to be extremely informative! Those are definately some helpful tips that most cyclists need to need to know, ands its good to see that other people are adding thier own thoughts.

I've noticed that vehicles take more care when i look back at them frequently are as well. Its the strangest thing /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Awesome article for beginners David, road safety is an issue everyone needs to take me seriously and education is the only way to achieve that.

Originally Posted by baker3 .

Awesome article for beginners David, road safety is an issue everyone needs to take me seriously and education is the only way to achieve that.
The article and links are great. I agree with baker3, but would go a step further. I have been riding a very long time,well over 45 years. I can say with absolute certainty that this information is also important for long term cyclists. Having "years" of experience is not worth too much if you have become very good and practiced at using wrong or dangerous techniques.

Adiós Daddo --- Daytona Beach, Florida - USA "Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen." ("What we cannot speak of we must pass over in silence.")

Originally Posted by David Henderson .

Davereo: You are 100% correct: "Never ride against traffic". That statement was so obvious to me that I failed to add it to my list. Thanks!

Chillin': Your items 1, 2, and 4 are 100% correct.
Item 3 of riding on the sidewalks is generally a no go. In fact, many cities have ordinances (laws/rules) against this. I understand your thought. There may be occasions where popping of the road is advisable, but as a general rule: do not ride your bicycle on the sidewalk.

Item 5 is debatable in that sometimes road conditions/situations are not safe for a automobile to pass a cyclist (I'm describing roadways where bicyclists have legal right to use). When a cyclist moves over tight to the edge of the road during this described scenario it's as if they are inviting (or daring) a driver to "shoot the opening" instead of waiting for a safer spot to pass. Take the whole lane (in this described scenario) and remain uninjured I say.
Sorry to take so long to reply, I somehow didn't see that this post got a reply when I checked on my posts.

There are cities around here where the bike lane actually leads to a ramp that goes onto the sidewalk, which you are expected to use. When I suggest the use of a sidewalk (for gaining a safer distance from the tons of steel coming up behind), that is only where it is "safe to do so", as is all my suggestions (I just don't always interject that).

Of course my suggestion to get over is when there is enough room for a car to pass. On a road where there is no room (narrow one-laners, narrow two-laners that have too much on-coming traffic to allow safe passing) I will make an effort to find a place to turn-out, asap, to allow the faster vehicle to get by and until then I will not invite the driver to pass by getting far left. (this I think is being a courtious rider and using the turn-out concept/rule where a driver/rider must use a turn-out when holding-up 5 or more vehicles)

Nice article. Bookmarked it in order to "refresh" for safety purposes once a year. Always nice to be reminded of things that keep you safe every once in a while so you don't let bad habits take hold. Thanks!

Originally Posted by David Henderson .

I just saw some local news of a bicyclist who was struck by a car and killed. The details were not given, so I don't know the exact cause.

At anyrate, I've compiled a list of survival tactics for road riding that may save someone some skin or a trip to an Emergency Room. http://myworldfromabicycle.blogspot.com/2010/08/bike-safe-my-survival-tactics-for-road.html

If anyone can think of additional helpful strategies or techniques for safe riding please add it to the comments and I'll add it to the list.

Regards,
David Henderson
Great piece! I am sharing it with some riding friends if you don't mind. I also teach my sons to ride aware, ride defensively and to not make stupid decisions while riding.

thanks again!