Surviving le Tour

suzyj

New Member
Mar 22, 2004
Hi guys,

Le Tour is hard enough for the riders, but for us down-under it's three weeks of quad-draining edge-of-the-seat pain. I've developed a pretty good regime now for surviving the late nights. For the first week, I was falling asleep pretty regularly, but now I've got it sorted. Knowing the importance of food intake by the riders, I do my bit by cooking comfort food during the boring bits.

So far I've done popcorn, toffee, ice-cream with chocolate sauce, and my best effort: chocolate fudge. Not the wussy fudge based on condensed milk, but the proper stuff. I'm thinking of doing a nice rice pudding for tonight's stage :)

Cheers,

Suzy

"suzyj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hi guys,
>
> Le Tour is hard enough for the riders, but for us down-under it's three
> weeks of quad-draining edge-of-the-seat pain. I've developed a pretty
> good regime now for surviving the late nights. For the first week, I
> was falling asleep pretty regularly, but now I've got it sorted.
> Knowing the importance of food intake by the riders, I do my bit by
> cooking comfort food during the boring bits.
>
> So far I've done popcorn, toffee, ice-cream with chocolate sauce, and
> my best effort: chocolate fudge. Not the wussy fudge based on
> condensed milk, but the proper stuff. I'm thinking of doing a nice
> rice pudding for tonight's stage :)

Suzy,
What a coincindence!
I did that one last night.
Here's a recipe for you, meant to serve siz, but err only seems to serve two
in my household:
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup short grain rice (or any rice, risotto, whatever)
1/2 cup Caster sugar (or half that if you are not a sweettooth)
3 cups milk
1 cup cream
the finely grated skin of one orange
about 10 crushed cardamom seeds (masterfoods spice rack now carries that
spice)

METHOD
Add milk, cream, orange and cardamom to a saucepan, raise to a boil.
Careful not to burn. Add rice and sugar and stir it till the sugar is
dissolved. Turn heat down to a gentle simmer and simmer uncovered for
20-25mins (stirring regularly) until the rice is soft and the mixture starts
to thicken. Be careful as the mixture might have a tendency to suddenly leap
out of the saucepan and try to catch fire. Regular stirring helps release
the starch in the rice and make the mixture creamier and thicker.

Remove from heat, cover with a lid and let sit for 15mins.

Eat hot or cold.

suzyj said:
So far I've done popcorn, toffee, ice-cream with chocolate sauce, and my best effort: chocolate fudge. Not the wussy fudge based on condensed milk, but the proper stuff. I'm thinking of doing a nice rice pudding for tonight's stage :)

My fave is The Toasted Cheese Sandwich of Happiness. Very nice on a winters night, just add cuppa of Earl Grey, cat/s on lounge, and gas heater.

suzyj said:
Hi guys,

Le Tour is hard enough for the riders, but for us down-under it's three weeks of quad-draining edge-of-the-seat pain. I've developed a pretty good regime now for surviving the late nights. For the first week, I was falling asleep pretty regularly, but now I've got it sorted. Knowing the importance of food intake by the riders, I do my bit by cooking comfort food during the boring bits.

So far I've done popcorn, toffee, ice-cream with chocolate sauce, and my best effort: chocolate fudge. Not the wussy fudge based on condensed milk, but the proper stuff. I'm thinking of doing a nice rice pudding for tonight's stage :)

Cheers,

Suzy
the viewing peloton is thinking alike...
last night I adopted a relentless snacking approach to stave off the couch snooze, did the job nicely, rice pud sounds good, but I think I will need the dark master to sustain me with caffeine laden chocolate tonight

Like TdF riders my overall food intake increases drastically during the tour. My favourite snack is the crispy crust of freshly baked bread from the bread machine spread with genuine homemade butter made from raw milk... Only problem, my energy output doesn't match the input. >1kg in the 3 weeks. My hill climbs are suffering...

suzyj wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Le Tour is hard enough for the riders, but for us down-under it's three
> weeks of quad-draining edge-of-the-seat pain. I've developed a pretty
> good regime now for surviving the late nights. For the first week, I
> was falling asleep pretty regularly, but now I've got it sorted.
> Knowing the importance of food intake by the riders, I do my bit by
> cooking comfort food during the boring bits.
>
> So far I've done popcorn, toffee, ice-cream with chocolate sauce, and
> my best effort: chocolate fudge. Not the wussy fudge based on
> condensed milk, but the proper stuff. I'm thinking of doing a nice
> rice pudding for tonight's stage :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Suzy

Am I the only person here who has gotten through SBS's coverage without
snacking? I haven't felt the need to eat while watching the Tour.

My plan of snacking on bratwurst, sauerkraut, Black Forest cake and
wheat beer went out the window on the eve of the Tour ...

:p

cfsmtb wrote:
> suzyj Wrote:
> >

> > So far I've done popcorn, toffee, ice-cream with chocolate sauce, and
> > my best effort: chocolate fudge. Not the wussy fudge based on
> > condensed milk, but the proper stuff. I'm thinking of doing a nice
> > rice pudding for tonight's stage :)

> My fave is The Toasted Cheese Sandwich of Happiness. Very nice on a
> winters night, just add cuppa of Earl Grey, cat/s on lounge, and gas
> heater.

How do you cook the cats? With the gas heater?

Travis

Gemma_k said:
"suzyj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hi guys,
>
> Le Tour is hard enough for the riders, but for us down-under it's three
> weeks of quad-draining edge-of-the-seat pain. I've developed a pretty
> good regime now for surviving the late nights. For the first week, I
> was falling asleep pretty regularly, but now I've got it sorted.
> Knowing the importance of food intake by the riders, I do my bit by
> cooking comfort food during the boring bits.
>
> So far I've done popcorn, toffee, ice-cream with chocolate sauce, and
> my best effort: chocolate fudge. Not the wussy fudge based on
> condensed milk, but the proper stuff. I'm thinking of doing a nice
> rice pudding for tonight's stage :)

Suzy,
What a coincindence!
I did that one last night.
Here's a recipe for you, meant to serve siz, but err only seems to serve two
in my household:
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup short grain rice (or any rice, risotto, whatever)
1/2 cup Caster sugar (or half that if you are not a sweettooth)
3 cups milk
1 cup cream
the finely grated skin of one orange
about 10 crushed cardamom seeds (masterfoods spice rack now carries that
spice)

METHOD
Add milk, cream, orange and cardamom to a saucepan, raise to a boil.
Careful not to burn. Add rice and sugar and stir it till the sugar is
dissolved. Turn heat down to a gentle simmer and simmer uncovered for
20-25mins (stirring regularly) until the rice is soft and the mixture starts
to thicken. Be careful as the mixture might have a tendency to suddenly leap
out of the saucepan and try to catch fire. Regular stirring helps release
the starch in the rice and make the mixture creamier and thicker.

Remove from heat, cover with a lid and let sit for 15mins.

Eat hot or cold.

Orange zest and cardamom rice pudding....

*drools*

That's utter genius.

Travis said:
How do you cook the cats? With the gas heater?

Garnish sparingly as a condiment, although they do tend to squirm around a bit when on the spit. :p

cfsmtb said:
Garnish sparingly as a condiment, although they do tend to squirm around a bit when on the spit. :p

Only if you use the self-basting ones.

Resound said:
Only if you use the self-basting ones.

I've heard of those, are they the same brand as self-saucing Blue Heeler puddings avaliable at NQR? :D

petulance said:
My plan of snacking on bratwurst, sauerkraut, Black Forest cake and
wheat beer went out the window on the eve of the Tour ...

:p
I have been craving sashimi, sausage, crispbread and baguettes. Must be all the subliminal advertising by Renault.

roshea wrote:

> I have been craving sashimi, sausage, crispbread and baguettes. Must
> be all the subliminal advertising by Renault.

I've been craving cycling. After several late nighters, I can't get up
early and I've barely ridden for the past three weeks. Oh, for the end
of le Tour!

Donga