Sus air pressure

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jo, Nov 21, 2005.

  1. Jo

    Jo Guest

    The new 'bent has Rock Shox Bar rear suspension. I have never had a bike
    with any suspension before, so I haven't got a clue what I am doing.
    What sort of air pressure can it take? The Rock Shox web site isn't much
    help. At the moment it's fine with my (heavy) weight, but too soft when
    loaded with additional weight. The pressure also seems to go down quite
    quickly.
    Jo

    Tags:

  2. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Jo
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > The new 'bent has Rock Shox Bar rear suspension. I have never had a
    > bike with any suspension before, so I haven't got a clue what I am
    > doing. What sort of air pressure can it take? The Rock Shox web site
    > isn't much help. At the moment it's fine with my (heavy) weight, but
    > too soft when loaded with additional weight. The pressure also seems to
    > go down quite quickly.

    The pressure should not go down quickly. If it does, the shock needs
    servicing, and if you don't get it serviced quickly you may do permanent
    damage (although this probably isn't as urgent on a 'bent, used on
    relatively clean roads, as it would be on an MTB). FWIW the Fox Floats
    on both my mountain bikes can retain their set pressure for months. As
    to pressure, this varies from model to model but can be surprisingly
    high - up to 350psi in some cases. You need a special 'shock pump', both
    because of the high pressure and because, as the size of the air chamber
    is small, so the amounts of air you need to pump in to adjust the
    pressure are also small.

    A general rule for setting the pressure is that without the rider on the
    bike the unit should be more or less fully extended, and when the rider
    just sits on the stationary bike (leaning against a wall for balance)
    the unit should compress by about 20-25% of its travel.

    ... a mild, inoffensive sadist...

  3. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Jo wrote:
    > The new 'bent has Rock Shox Bar rear suspension. I have never had a bike
    > with any suspension before, so I haven't got a clue what I am doing.
    > What sort of air pressure can it take? The Rock Shox web site isn't much
    > help. At the moment it's fine with my (heavy) weight, but too soft when
    > loaded with additional weight. The pressure also seems to go down quite
    > quickly.

    The Rock Shox web site has manuals for most of their shocks, though they
    aren't always easy to find.

    http://www.sram.com/en/service/rockshox/view.php?catID=2&subcatID=2

    Arthur

    --