suspected bike thief??

It seems there are alot of bikes being reported stolen lately :(

One guy I have noticed a few times in the Melb cbd had me thinking. He commutes daily it seems in
jeans, runners and a back pack. BUT he rides a new Once carbon giant with record! Looks seriously
out of place! Last time I checked these were limited with a hefty price. I'm thinking this is where
some of our beloved bikes disapear too. opinions??

"#215" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> It seems there are alot of bikes being reported stolen lately :(
>
> One guy I have noticed a few times in the Melb cbd had me thinking. He commutes daily it seems in
> jeans, runners and a back pack. BUT he rides a new Once carbon giant with record! Looks seriously
> out of place! Last
time
> I checked these were limited with a hefty price. I'm thinking this is
where
> some of our beloved bikes disapear too. opinions??

Strange you should say this today. I saw a guy riding some kind of black road bike (Avanti I think)
with flash wheels, time-trial bars and road pedals this morning. He was wearing jogging shoes and
jeans and looked to be crossing the road to get to ride on the footpath. The same thoughts went
through my mind as yours. Anyone in Sydney lost such a bike ? (Apologies if I'm doing jeans guy a
gross injustice).

Andy

yah, tell the entire world you think this guy is a their cause you think he looks like he can't
afford to ride that bike. And then appologise on the off chance you are wrong.

What is WRONG with you?

Mike

Andy Simpson wrote:
> through my mind as yours. Anyone in Sydney lost such a bike ? (Apologies if I'm doing jeans guy a
> gross injustice).

"thief", not "Their"

Mike Mike Doyle wrote:
> yah, tell the entire world you think this guy is a their cause you think he looks like he can't
> afford to ride that bike. And then appologise on the off chance you are wrong.

but the fact that he wasnt riding it the next day is weird dont u think. there COULD be a perfectly good explination, BUT what if it WAS stolen?

its good that people are actually trying to help, rather than think nothing of it.

"Twisties" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> but the fact that he wasnt riding it the next day is weird dont u
think.
> there COULD be a perfectly good explination, BUT what if it WAS
stolen?

Just to allay some fears.. I have often been known to ride my $3K+ road bike wearing anything from
full race kit to jeans, shorts, tee shirt, work boots, thongs, etc. I have also been known to ride
it on the footpath (but don't tell anyone this.. ;-)).

Some people don't give a rats about what they wear but own a nice bike.

ciao hippy

HeHe! Sometimes I wear jeans when I am riding, too...I guess you can compare me to Pamela Anderson
wearing high heels when rock climbling..:)

It is kinda hard to suspect a thief if they look out of character, because many newbies seem to have
very good bikes, too. But, I guess if I saw a large man riding a BMX, then I would be suspicious -
especially if he falls off the bike after taking an ordinary corner..:)

Seriously though, since a lot of buildings around the Melbourne CBD now have security cameras, I
wonder if these store owners (or counsel) would be kind enough to show you the security tapes? If
there are no cameras, then perhaps we should pester the Melbourne counsel to install more cameras?

I go now...

a.

"#215" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> It seems there are alot of bikes being reported stolen lately :(
>
> One guy I have noticed a few times in the Melb cbd had me thinking. He commutes daily it seems in
> jeans, runners and a back pack. BUT he rides a new Once carbon giant with record! Looks seriously
> out of place! Last
time
> I checked these were limited with a hefty price. I'm thinking this is
where
> some of our beloved bikes disapear too. opinions??

"#215" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> It seems there are alot of bikes being reported stolen lately :(
>
> One guy I have noticed a few times in the Melb cbd had me thinking. He commutes daily it seems in
> jeans, runners and a back pack. BUT he rides a new Once carbon giant with record! Looks seriously
> out of place! Last time I checked these were limited with a hefty price. I'm thinking this is
> where some of our beloved bikes disapear too. opinions??

Perhaps he doesn't have anywhere to change at his work/school/whatever. Not all of us are blessed
with somewhere to shower and change, nor with somewhere to stash their bike clothes. When I was at
uni it was next to impossible to get a locker, so I simply sat through lectures and tutes in bike
shorts and bare feet, with my bike shoes sitting on the floor under my seat.

And besides, what's wrong with commuting on a race bike anyway? I commute on my race bike (a
Colnago), and simply carry a spare set of clothes in a backpack. Does this mean I stole my bike? It
certainly didn't seem like a steal to me. My credit card still carries the bruises, and the owner of
my local bike shop greets me by name whenever I come in.

Looking around at the bikes at club racing on a Saturday afternoon, you can tell the people who are
really fast. They ride the thrashed bikes, those which look like they've done a few tens of
thousand kilometers and been thrown down the road a few times to boot. Not that they haven't been
cared for, because they have. They've just seen a lot of use. Perhaps these people also commute on
their race bikes?

Regards,

Suzy

Whilst rampantly masturbating, on Tue, 17 Jun 2003
13:47:07 +1000, Mike Doyle <[email protected]> wrote:

>yah, tell the entire world you think this guy is a their cause you think he looks like he can't
>afford to ride that bike. And then appologise on the off chance you are wrong.
>
>What is WRONG with you?
>
>Mike

Well said, Mike. WTF is wrong with these people. "That guy doesn't "look" like a bike rider....he
must have stolen that bike...." That's gotta be the most ridiculous thing I've heard in this group.
And that's saying something! Dickheads....

Compromise, Conformity, Assimulation, Submission Ignorance, Hypocrisy, Brutality, The Elite All of
which are American dreams....

"Mike Doyle" <[email protected]> raged in message
news:[email protected]...
> yah, tell the entire world you think this guy is a their cause you think he looks like he can't
> afford to ride that bike. And then appologise on the off chance you are wrong.
>
> What is WRONG with you?

I didn't mention how much I thought the guy could afford, you invented that.

I pointed out that he was dressed entirely inappropriately - riding on a road bike wearing jeans and
running shoes (probably cost about the same as knicks and cycling shoes, for those with an economic
fixation).

I was wrong to ask if anyone had lost such a bike as that clearly implies that I thought it was
definitely nicked, whereas it was just one explanation that crossed my mind. The post was prompted
by "#215" saying that he'd thought the same thing. So, to the "entire world" - I'm sorry I phrased
that so badly.

Next time I see the jeans-bike guy I'll ask him why he spurns traditional cycling apparel.

Andy

My post was aimed at both yourself, and your parent post.

Perhaps you did only mean to say that someone wearing jeans wouldn't own such an expensive bike,
but both your post, and the parent post were less then clear on that point. Your intentions may
have been innocent, but I it hard to believe that the parent post was so (which you seemed to
agree with).

Never-the-less, no matter how innocent you or the parent post may have been, much care is needed
before posting comments that may be taken the wrong way. And it is hard to say "I thought he was a
thief" without it being taken the wrong way!

Mike

Andy Simpson wrote:
> "Mike Doyle" <[email protected]> raged in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> I didn't mention how much I thought the guy could afford, you invented that.
>
> I pointed out that he was dressed entirely inappropriately - riding on a road bike wearing jeans
> and running shoes (probably cost about the same as knicks and cycling shoes, for those with an
> economic fixation).
>
> I was wrong to ask if anyone had lost such a bike as that clearly implies that I thought it was
> definitely nicked, whereas it was just one explanation that crossed my mind. The post was prompted
> by "#215" saying that he'd thought the same thing. So, to the "entire world" - I'm sorry I phrased
> that so badly.
>
> Next time I see the jeans-bike guy I'll ask him why he spurns traditional cycling apparel.
>
> Andy

"Mike Doyle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My post was aimed at both yourself, and your parent post.
>
> Perhaps you did only mean to say that someone wearing jeans wouldn't own such an expensive bike,
> but both your post, and the parent post were less then clear on that point. Your intentions may
> have been innocent, but I it hard to believe that the parent post was so (which you seemed to
> agree with).
>
> Never-the-less, no matter how innocent you or the parent post may have been, much care is needed
> before posting comments that may be taken the wrong way. And it is hard to say "I thought he was a
> thief" without it being taken the wrong way!
>
> Mike

Yep, I was very slack. Thank you for your guidance.

Andy

Come on Mike, get off your PC high horse. The guy is allowed to be suspicious. He may be wrong, but
sometimes it's worth questioning.

I live in Redfern, and sometimes I see one of the brothers riding an expensive bike wearing just a
singlet, shorts and thongs. Sometimes they offer to sell these bikes to me for ludicrously low
prices. I think the bikes may be stolen. But hey, in Mike World, I shouldn't think such things, I
should just assume these kids are too young to know a full suspension Kona is worth more than the
$300 they wanted.

There is a very big difference between riding an expensive bike in jeans, and riding an expensive
bike in jeans and offering to sell it to you for $300.

Other people who replied seem to think riding an expensive bike in jeans is perfectly acceptable.

Sure, there are times to be suspicious, but be careful with your accusations.

Mike

Luther Blissett wrote:
> Come on Mike, get off your PC high horse. The guy is allowed to be suspicious. He may be wrong,
> but sometimes it's worth questioning.
>
> I live in Redfern, and sometimes I see one of the brothers riding an expensive bike wearing just a
> singlet, shorts and thongs. Sometimes they offer to sell these bikes to me for ludicrously low
> prices. I think the bikes may be stolen. But hey, in Mike World, I shouldn't think such things, I
> should just assume these kids are too young to know a full suspension Kona is worth more than the
> $300 they wanted.

> There is a very big difference between riding an expensive bike in jeans, and riding an expensive
> bike in jeans and offering to sell it to you for $300.

..and don't forget the coat of house-paint, so people won't be able to tell that it's stolen...

I recovered one of my bikes that way-- it was a fairly generic roadie, but the paint gave me enough
suspicion (above other similarities) to jump over the fence and quickly check the serial number.
It's nice when you can get a bike thief in the ****.. (Although I heard the perp was under 16, and I
had moved up to Queensland before anything happened.)

--
Chris,,

"Chris Baird" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > There is a very big difference between riding an expensive bike in
> > jeans, and riding an expensive bike in jeans and offering to sell it to you for $300.
>
> ..and don't forget the coat of house-paint, so people won't be able to tell that it's stolen...
>
> I recovered one of my bikes that way-- it was a fairly generic roadie, but the paint gave me
> enough suspicion (above other similarities) to jump over the fence and quickly check the serial
> number. It's nice when you can get a bike thief in the ****.. (Although I heard the perp was under
> 16, and I had moved up to Queensland before anything happened.)

Years ago, when I was a wee little boy scout we went to the local police stations for a field trip.
Down in the basement, the cop showed us a cage full of unclaimed lost/stolen/recovered bikes. "Off
ya go boys" he said, "take a your pick".

Got me a nice dragster converted to a BMX with tuffs and Tange forks with a double goose neck head

sooo luther,

ummm do u reckon you could give me the address of these kids with the kona?:p

> ... the cop showed us a cage full of unclaimed lost/stolen/recovered bikes. "Off ya go boys" he
> said, "take a your pick".

Was he Italian? :)

&roo

Sigh. Where is Jose when you Really need him :)

John L.