Suspension Fork question...

gimp

Jul 26, 2005
Okay, done the searching (on the net and here). Done the measuring. Done the researching. So here's my question. I have a Diamond Back Topanga without a suspension fork that's about 8 years old. The fork I have NOW is 1.1/8 threaded, I THINK (It's the size I'm not 100% sure about).

Is this a difficult size fork to find, NEW. Although the first question should be, the first, do I measure simply from one side of the opening to the other to get the 1.1/8 measurement?

Last question, how reliable is a USED fork going to be? Or should I just get a new bike.

Thanks for any suggestions and help.

get a new bike

gimp said:
Okay, done the searching (on the net and here). Done the measuring. Done the researching. So here's my question. I have a Diamond Back Topanga without a suspension fork that's about 8 years old. The fork I have NOW is 1.1/8 threaded, I THINK (It's the size I'm not 100% sure about).

Is this a difficult size fork to find, NEW. Although the first question should be, the first, do I measure simply from one side of the opening to the other to get the 1.1/8 measurement?

Last question, how reliable is a USED fork going to be? Or should I just get a new bike.

I got a Suspension Fork from a new Merida here, you can have it for free, just come and get it... 1 1/8 threaded, 160mm steerer. I replaced it with a rigid CrMo. Much lighter.

gclark8 said:
you can have it for free, just come and get it.
Ah, man....love to!! BUT.....kinda pricey right now for a flight to Australia. :D Thanks anyway. Think I might just get a new bike, unless you wanna ship it (I'll pay).

gimp said:

just replace old trustee.

8 years is a little old for a bike to be riding on the trails.

time for it to go bike heaven, sorry dude.

FSRXCRIDER said:
just replace old trustee.

8 years is a little old for a bike to be riding on the trails.

time for it to go bike heaven, sorry dude.

Screw that! Ride it till it breaks!

TD

tyler_derden said:
Screw that! Ride it till it breaks!

TD
your choice.

it was hard for me to give my old bike up too, my whole life was in it. it taught me how to live and die(doing stupid ****) well, i guess you can tell what happened to my bike (dont ride off 6-ft high drop offs with a hardtail!)