suspension fork with 1" steerer

Jeff Goble

Guest
Are there any suspension forks with 1" steerers available
anymore? I'm looking to replace a rigid for on an old, 1994,
Univega Alpina 3.5 mountain bike.

Another question about newer mountain bikes. I'm used to
riding the old Univega and I just bought a new Trek 6700.
The bottom bracket height on the Trek is about 2cm higher
than the Univega, is this how mountain bikes are made now?
Also, I got a Trek in the 15.5" frame size, I'm 5'7". The
17.5" didn't offer much standover clearance but the 15.5"
frame feels pretty short. I put a 130mm stem on it and it
just feels short and the front feels really high. Maybe I
need to get used to it because I'm used to the Univega and
riding road bikes? What do you think?

Thanks.

Jeff

"Jeff Goble" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Are there any suspension forks with 1" steerers available
>anymore? I'm looking to replace a rigid for on an old,
>1994, Univega Alpina 3.5 mountain bike.

Marzocchi makes the MX Comp in a 1" model, but it's not a
cheap fork (figure on spending at least $250). The RockShox
Judy TT might be a good option (it should go for around
$100, and is probably a better fork than would have come on
other similar MTBs in '94).

>Another question about newer mountain bikes. I'm used to
>riding the old Univega and I just bought a new Trek 6700.
>The bottom bracket height on the Trek is about 2cm higher
>than the Univega, is this how mountain bikes are made now?

The BB has to start out higher otherwise you'd be
constantly banging pedals when compressing the fork.
Remember that your Univega's BB will go up by about half
the difference between the length of the two forks (the old
rigid and new shock fork).

> Also, I got a Trek in the 15.5" frame size, I'm 5'7". The
> 17.5" didn't offer much standover clearance but the 15.5"
> frame feels pretty short. I put a 130mm stem on it and it
> just feels short and the front feels really high. Maybe I
> need to get used to it because I'm used to the Univega and
> riding road bikes? What do you think?

Could be - what feels right on a fast fire road won't on
twisty singletrack. The "high front end" is the trend now
(exacerbated with all the riser bars on the market).

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of
the $695 ti frame

Mark Hickey says:

<snip way good advice>

> The "high front end" is the trend now (exacerbated with
> all the riser bars on the market).

Heehee - I like the use of the word "exacerbated" there,
Mark. Subtle.....

;-)

Steve

I just put a suspension fork on a 95(?) Univega Aluminum 701
mtb. I thought it would require (and had been told) a 1"
steerer. Not true for that model at least. It fit the
standard 1 1/8 (I think that's the right new size).

I did see where Nashbar has a 1" RST for $100 in their
latest catelog. Should be available online I'd think.

MB

"Jeff Goble" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:<iDS3c.14375$%[email protected]
link.net>...
> Are there any suspension forks with 1" steerers available
> anymore? I'm looking to replace a rigid for on an old,
> 1994, Univega Alpina 3.5 mountain bike.
>
> Another question about newer mountain bikes. I'm used to
> riding the old Univega and I just bought a new Trek 6700.
> The bottom bracket height on the Trek is about 2cm higher
> than the Univega, is this how mountain bikes are made now?
> Also, I got a Trek in the 15.5" frame size, I'm 5'7". The
> 17.5" didn't offer much standover clearance but the 15.5"
> frame feels pretty short. I put a 130mm stem on it and it
> just feels short and the front feels really high. Maybe I
> need to get used to it because I'm used to the Univega and
> riding road bikes? What do you think?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jeff

"Jeff Goble" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<iDS3c.14375$%[email protected]>...
> Are there any suspension forks with 1" steerers available
> anymore? I'm looking to replace a rigid for on an old,
> 1994, Univega Alpina 3.5 mountain bike.

I have a '99 Z2 BAM, 68mm travel, coil-n-oil, smooth as a
baby's bottom. Here's the great thing - it has a user-
replaceable steerer. I have both a 1" and a 1.125" steerer,
and have used both. Plus, I can do it myself. Cost me US$30
to get the 1" one, but it was worth it, since I got the fork
for about US$100 on eBay.

> Another question about newer mountain bikes. I'm used to
> riding the old Univega and I just bought a new Trek 6700.
> The bottom bracket height on the Trek is about 2cm higher
> than the Univega, is this how mountain bikes are made now?
> Also, I got a Trek in the 15.5" frame size, I'm 5'7". The
> 17.5" didn't offer much standover clearance but the 15.5"
> frame feels pretty short. I put a 130mm stem on it and it
> just feels short and the front feels really high. Maybe I
> need to get used to it because I'm used to the Univega and
> riding road bikes? What do you think?

I think you're probably onto something there. :)
--
Jonesy

I've been looking for the same thing for a while; I finally got a
response from Marzocchi and here's what they said:

"The only way to mount a Marzocchi fork (they are all for 1"
and 1/8) on a 1" frame is using a special steering tube with
this code 508617."

That looks like good news to all of us with old bikes;
pretty much any of the Marzocchi's will fit!

The local bike shop (Eastern Ontario, Canada) can order the
tube for $56CAD (I'm sure you can find it cheaper
elsewhere).

The only problem is that the old tube has to be pressed out
and the new one pressed into place which may require special
tools (I haven't done it yet).

I hope that helps.

On 11 Mar 2004 08:19:23 -0800, [email protected]
(Bake) wrote:

>I just put a suspension fork on a 95(?) Univega Aluminum
>701 mtb. I thought it would require (and had been told) a
>1" steerer. Not true for that model at least. It fit the
>standard 1 1/8 (I think that's the right new size).
>
>I did see where Nashbar has a 1" RST for $100 in their
>latest catelog. Should be available online I'd think.
>
>MB
>
>"Jeff Goble" <[email protected]> wrote
>in message news:<iDS3c.14375$%[email protected]
>arthlink.net>...
>> Are there any suspension forks with 1" steerers available
>> anymore? I'm looking to replace a rigid for on an old,
>> 1994, Univega Alpina 3.5 mountain bike.
>>
>> Another question about newer mountain bikes. I'm used to
>> riding the old Univega and I just bought a new Trek 6700.
>> The bottom bracket height on the Trek is about 2cm higher
>> than the Univega, is this how mountain bikes are made
>> now? Also, I got a Trek in the 15.5" frame size, I'm
>> 5'7". The 17.5" didn't offer much standover clearance but
>> the 15.5" frame feels pretty short. I put a 130mm stem on
>> it and it just feels short and the front feels really
>> high. Maybe I need to get used to it because I'm used to
>> the Univega and riding road bikes? What do you think?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jeff

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 05:17:02 GMT, "Jeff Goble"
<[email protected]> blathered:

>Are there any suspension forks with 1" steerers available
>anymore? I'm looking to replace a rigid for on an old,
>1994, Univega Alpina 3.5 mountain bike.

Magura forks. Come with 1" steerers on request. Stanchions
are triple bolted into the crown, so future upgrades to 1
1/8" are relatively cheap & painless.

But they're not handmade in the US of A by Patriots.

However, what you need to consider is that any MTB frame
with a 1" steerer is probably old. It's geometry will not be
able to handle today's longer travel forks.

Pete

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I've been looking for the same thing for a while; I
> finally got a response from Marzocchi and here's what
> they said:
>
> "The only way to mount a Marzocchi fork (they are all for
> 1" and 1/8) on a 1" frame is using a special steering tube
> with this code 508617."
>
> That looks like good news to all of us with old bikes;
> pretty much any of the Marzocchi's will fit!
>
> The local bike shop (Eastern Ontario, Canada) can order
> the tube for $56CAD (I'm sure you can find it cheaper
> elsewhere).
>
> The only problem is that the old tube has to be pressed
> out and the new one pressed into place which may require
> special tools (I haven't done it yet).
>
> I hope that helps.

I don't think this is right, the 1" steer tubes are only for
the older pinch bolt crowns as far as I know. They are not
the same diameter as the 1 1/8" tube and that is not a place
you want to be using shims!
--
Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-

There is one in the newest Nashbar catalog.