Suspension forks or no suspension forks?

J . Brian Chamb

Guest
Seems to be a lot of argument over this subject. I'm not a serious mountain biker...in fact, I
haven't ridden in a couple of years. But as I already stated in a previous post, I'm getting back
into it. I don't plan on riding off the face of a cliff anytime soon, but as soon as I build some
strength back into my knees, I will be taking on some minor to moderate trails. What's the popular
school of thought on suspension forks? I'll be riding a $800 Trek bike so keep that in mind when
recommending a fork.

Thanks, Brian

Get em if you can afford them they're good fot any off road riding..... Does your bike have a 1 and
1/8 inch steering tube? Because if it does not you probably won't be able to get any that fit.....

"J. Brian Chamberlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Seems to be a lot of argument over this subject. I'm not a serious mountain biker...in fact, I
> haven't ridden in a couple of years. But as I already stated in a previous post, I'm getting back
> into it. I don't plan on riding off the face of a cliff anytime soon, but as soon as I build some
> strength back into my knees, I will be taking on some minor to moderate trails. What's the popular
> school of thought on suspension forks? I'll be riding a $800 Trek bike so keep that in mind when
> recommending a fork.
>
> Thanks, Brian

"J. Brian Chamberlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Seems to be a lot of argument over this subject. I'm not a serious mountain biker...in fact, I
> haven't ridden in a couple of years. But as I already stated in a previous post, I'm getting back
> into it. I don't plan on riding off the face of a cliff anytime soon, but as soon as I build some
> strength back into my knees, I will be taking on some minor to moderate trails. What's the popular
> school of thought on suspension forks? I'll be riding a $800 Trek bike so keep that in mind when
> recommending a fork.
>
> Thanks, Brian

I thought that the debate over forks and suspension was well and truly over. They're a good thing
was the general conclusion. The debate has moved on to the pros and cons of rear suspension. And
even that is running out of steam as people keep coming to the conclusion that there isn't so much a
right or a wrong; just pros and cons to both sides of that argument. Money (obviously) is an issue
with suspension forks. Your weight is one of the big considerations too. I'm no great fork guru so
I'll let one of the other guys help you pick a specific fork, but it would help if you mentioned how
heavy you are.
--
Westie "Life is what happens while you're planning to do other things"

J. Brian Chamberlin said...

> Seems to be a lot of argument over this subject. I'm not a serious mountain biker...in fact, I
> haven't ridden in a couple of years. But as I already stated in a previous post, I'm getting back
> into it. I don't plan on riding off the face of a cliff anytime soon, but as soon as I build some
> strength back into my knees, I will be taking on some minor to moderate trails. What's the popular
> school of thought on suspension forks? I'll be riding a $800 Trek bike so keep that in mind when
> recommending a fork.
>
> Thanks, Brian

I don't think there is much argument on suspension forks. There may have been one or two tongue in
cheek comments that you don't need them to ride and there may be one or two purists who don't use
them, but the vast majority of mountain bikes sold now have suspension forks. There is a reason for
that. Riding a fully rigid bike on trails is a bone rattling experience that may leave you sore for
days. That's what it does for me. If I did one lap of an area 8 mile loop, I would have nagging neck
pain afterwards, and spinal pain is nothing to laugh off. My first full suspension bike is on order
and should arrive by the weekend. I'm no expert on suspension bikes, but I know whereof I speak when
it comes to rigid bikes, and I am gladly moving on.

I did a lot of research on currently available bike parts as my original plan was to build a bike
from hand picked parts. Most people prefer Marzocchi forks. RockShox are generally lighter, but
widely considered to be way behind Marzocchis in relibility. My new bike comes with a RockShox Duke
XC, which seems to be the one RockShox model that nobody has much bad to say about (thank god).
Supergo has some 2002 Marzocchi models that are heavily discounted and look like great deals. Other
online shops may have similar deals. Your LBS will likely be comparatively much more expensive, but
they can install it and repair it if need be, and they won't hate you for buying online.

J. Brian Chamberlin <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Seems to be a lot of argument over this subject. I'm not a serious mountain biker...in fact, I
> haven't ridden in a couple of years. But as I already stated in a previous post, I'm getting back
> into it. I don't plan on riding off the face of a cliff anytime soon, but as soon as I build some
> strength back into my knees, I will be taking on some minor to moderate trails. What's the popular
> school of thought on suspension forks? I'll be riding a $800 Trek bike so keep that in mind when
> recommending a fork.

Marzocchi or Fox. Coil-n-oil (Keeps the cost down, and you never have to worry about the coil
leaking out and leaving you with a flat fork.)

There are those who say "Ride it rigid, and build skill." That's fine. But it's not the global
solution. I prefer rigid for some stuff, and suspension for others, but overall, I prefer
suspension. The real answer is "What do *you* need?" I can't answer that, and neither can
anyone else.

After this weekend, I have found that even moderate suspension travel, even up front, can change
the bike's handling enough to be a distraction if you're used to rigid. Goto www.bikesource.com -
they're having a Marzocchi close out (IIRC). Get a short-travel coil-n-oil high-quality fork.
Good luck.

Spider

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 13:40:53 GMT, SuperSlinky wrote:

> I don't think there is much argument on suspension forks. There may have been one or two tongue in
> cheek comments that you don't need them to ride and there may be one or two purists who don't use
> them, but the vast majority of mountain bikes sold now have suspension forks.

The few "purists" tend to be a vocal sort, as well.

Putting a suspension fork on a previously-unsuspended bike is an interesting experience. Steering
with a suspension fork is a lot more mushy. I didn't find the weight difference to be a big deal.
But as you say, it definitely can be a "bone-jarring experience" without them, particularly on
rocky trails.

> I did a lot of research on currently available bike parts as my original plan was to build a bike
> from hand picked parts. Most people prefer Marzocchi forks. RockShox are generally lighter, but
> widely considered to be way behind Marzocchis in relibility.

An enthusiast newsgroup isn't really a good representation of "most people". I imagine most people
have never heard of Marzocchi. They just use what's on their bike. If the don't ride it hard, and
don't ride it a lot, that'll be the same fork that's on there 10 years later.

BB said...

> Putting a suspension fork on a previously-unsuspended bike is an interesting experience. Steering
> with a suspension fork is a lot more mushy.

I never got around to installing a fork on my old hardtail. I just decided a new bike would make me
happier. Is the mushy steering because of the change in geometry?

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:42:04 GMT, SuperSlinky wrote:

> I never got around to installing a fork on my old hardtail. I just decided a new bike would make
> me happier. Is the mushy steering because of the change in geometry?

As you're carving around a turn, the suspension fork will compress. This is what makes the steering
mushy, IME.

J. Brian Chamberlin <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm not a serious mountain biker.

Wake up and thank God every day that you are not.

Serious mountain bikers are assholes, the lot of them. If one is too serious to have fun while
riding a mountain bike, they don't deserve to be on one.

JD

> Serious mountain bikers are assholes, the lot of them. If one is too serious to have fun while
> riding a mountain bike, they don't deserve to be on one.

Well said!

In my opinion 'to susp or not to susp' simply depends what you ride. You will never see a downhill
racer riding rigid, you will rarely see a trials rider with suspension.

> but as soon as I build some strength back into my knees, I will be taking on some minor to
> moderate trails.

I don't know your situation but it sounds like you have had some injury. If this is the case then I
would say suspension would be a good thing as it will help limit the bouncing and jarring, which
could potentially couse your knees and back some grief.

Rob