'suspension' handlebar stem

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pkhoo, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Pkhoo

    Pkhoo Guest

    In the olden days, there was a handlebar stem that had a kind of a rubber grommet (I think) that
    provided some sort of flex. Are they still available? Did they work? Would they be an adequate
    alternative to fitting a pair of boingy forks onto a mtb? Enquiringly yours, Peter

    Tags:

  2. Steve Peake

    Steve Peake Guest

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:39:54 +0000 (UTC), pkhoo wrote:

    > In the olden days, there was a handlebar stem that had a kind of a rubber grommet (I think) that
    > provided some sort of flex. Are they still available? Did they work? Would they be an adequate
    > alternative to fitting a pair of boingy forks onto a mtb? Enquiringly yours,

    Ah the good old girvin flexstem, it worked, but not a lot! I got one 10+ years ago when I started
    getting pain in the ulnar nerve, and that stem solved it.

    It isn't a patch on a sus fork, but it could well be better than those springs they attach to
    supermarket bikes. Don't know if it (or something similar) is still sold though.

    Steve

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    pkhoo wrote:
    > In the olden days, there was a handlebar stem that had a kind of a rubber grommet (I think) that
    > provided some sort of flex. Are they still available?

    There's a "suspension stem" here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3662513141

    ...Looks as if there's more to it than a grommet or two.

    > Did they work? Would they be an adequate alternative to fitting a pair of boingy forks onto a mtb?

    I don't know but I would expect boingy forks to result in better front wheel traction as well as a
    softer ride.

    ~PB

  4. "pkhoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In the olden days, there was a handlebar stem that had a kind of a rubber grommet (I think) that
    > provided some sort of flex. Are they still available? Did they work? Would they be an adequate
    > alternative to fitting a pair of boingy forks onto a mtb? Enquiringly yours, Peter

    I have 2 pals who had them. They did offer some isolation, but just to your hands, i.e. the front of
    the bike still bounced around and made you fall of if too enthusiastic. OK for cycle paths but not
    if you're too enthusiastic on the bumpy stuff. Wonder why they're not in the shops any more???
    Cheers Graham

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Graham Bowers wrote:

    >"pkhoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> In the olden days, there was a handlebar stem that had a kind of a rubber grommet (I think) that
    >> provided some sort of flex. Are they still available? Did they work? Would they be an adequate
    >> alternative to fitting a pair of boingy forks onto a mtb?
    >
    >I have 2 pals who had them. They did offer some isolation, but just to your hands, i.e. the front
    >of the bike still bounced around and made you fall of if too enthusiastic. OK for cycle paths but
    >not if you're too enthusiastic on the bumpy stuff. Wonder why they're not in the shops any more???

    Edinburgh Bicycle has a picture of one on their "Handlebars, Stems, Grips & Bar Ends" page, and the
    text for "Comfort Stems" includes "Suspension stems" - but if you follow that link the subsection
    doesn't actually have any. http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/subcollections.cfm?ID=139

    I think I've seen one in Cycle King though. Probably works as well as the suspension on their 69
    pound full suspension bikes :) (That is a "Scratch and Dent Sale" price, and I'm quite happy with
    the rigid hybrid I bought from them a while back. They do tend heavily to the bouncy gaspipe end of
    the market though. http://www.cycleking.co.uk/ )

  6. John Murf

    John Murf Guest

    Alan Braggins wrote
    > I think I've seen one in Cycle King though. Probably works as well as the suspension on their 69
    > pound full suspension bikes :)

    Phew, that's heavy.

    --
    John Murphy

  7. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Stanley Fearn's cycle shop in Matlock took one off my bike a couple of years ago.You might phone and
    ask if they still have it(long shot that). I prefer a thick foam on the hb extensions to give me
    somewhere to rest my hands while having normal rubber grips on the bars.The flexstem was not much
    good off road compared to suspension. TerryJ

  8. saddlesores

    saddlesores New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2004
    girvin flexstem. got one on my commuter hybrid, and another
    on my hardtail mtb. i like 'em.

    i got a spare i might could sell.....

    [email protected]

  9. Pkhoo

    Pkhoo Guest

    been trying to contact u but can't get through... can u email me on cuckooblue at btopenworld dot
    com ta peter