Suspension MUni

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling archive' started by Pete66, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Mike_foote

    Mike_foote Guest

    I'm thinking if some one designed a slow-rise suspension
    peddle and a suspension seatpost, you could just put both of
    those on any unicycle and turn it into a full suspension. I
    know it wouldn't take any preasure of the wheel put it would
    take preasure off your ankles and back. I don't know that's
    just my Idea.

    --
    Mike_Foote - Violinist and Unicyclist

    Long live unicycling
    Mike_Foote's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6204

  2. Rayden

    Rayden Guest

    As long as the suspension is directly linked to transmitting
    power from the pedals to the wheel you will have problems.
    Stiffening it up so it doesn't affect pedaling is not the
    answer I think.

    I don't know if its possible. It would be awesome to have
    suspension for your feet though. :)

    --
    Rayden
    Rayden's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/264

  3. Pete66

    Pete66 Guest

    I think it'd be interesting to do big drops on a MUni with
    "suspokesion", it'd kinda turn into a kangaroo wheel upon
    impact. Assuming you were aiming for a "correct" rolling
    landing it'd make it a bit harder to pedal at first (which
    isn't -necessarily- a bad thing) and then moments later when
    the hub was on its way back up to the center of the wheel
    it'd (I think) become easier to pedal. It'd take a bit of
    getting used to but it'd be cool!

    I'm thinking a 3 pronged suspension unit (like in the 3d
    models at the start of this thread) with only 2 of the 3
    having hinges between the hub and the rockshox would work in
    terms of a "beautiful suspension action". I was thinkin some
    sort of ball in socket joint for a hub would be interesting
    (if only slightly impossible)...

    If anyone's got any more brilliant ideas or things to add
    about suspension MUnis, please post them up and I'll have a
    go at incorporating them into another 3dmodel, that way we
    all get to stare in wonder at them without havin to go
    through the hassle of actually making them. :p

    By the way, a few people have been asking about this, the
    answer is I've been using Lightwave3D 7.5c (www.newtek.com)
    for the models, it really is the complete package in terms
    of "out of the box" bang for your buck. I highly recommend
    it to anyone wanting to get into 3d modelling or 3d
    animation.

    cheers Pete

    --
    pete66 - Level 4 Unicyclist
    pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

  4. Dforbes

    Dforbes Guest

    Here's a page from the November 2001 issue of "WWI Aero",
    showing an old advertisement for an aeroplane wheel with
    "suspension spokes". I copied the picture to a fairly large
    size so as to not lose too much detail. Any ideas here
    someone could borrow for a suspension Muni??

    Doug

    [image: P:\wheel.jpg]

    --
    dforbes - Unicycling Newfie
    dforbes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4502

  5. Dforbes

    Dforbes Guest

    Jeez - including the picture would have been
    useful.....sorry!!

    D.

    +-------------------------------------------------------
    ---------+
    | Attachment filename: wheel.jpg |
    http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/210672| +-------------------------------------------------------
    ---------+

    --
    dforbes - Unicycling Newfie
    dforbes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4502

  6. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    dforbes wrote:
    > *Here's a page from the November 2001 issue of "WWI Aero"
    > *

    Being under an aeroplane, these wheels won't have to
    transmit driving forces, and probably no braking forces
    through the hub either. That makes it easier to have
    spokesuspension. If you would drive (or brake) the hub, the
    suspenspokes would probably wind up significantly before
    much torque were transmitted to the rim.

    Klaas Bil

    --
    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

  7. Dforbes

    Dforbes Guest

    Klaas,

    That's an excellent point about the wheels winding up under
    a driving/braking torque. It would be interesting to try
    building such a wheel to see how you could minimize the "wind-
    up" problem, without sacrificing all of the suspension
    travel - seems like there could be an acceptable compromise
    somewhere. A certain degree of "wind-up" under torque,
    together with the springiness of the suspension would
    certainly add to the challenge of riding, wouldn't it!

    Doug

    --
    dforbes - Unicycling Newfie
    dforbes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4502

  8. Vincelemay

    Vincelemay Guest

    Originally posted by dforbes
    > Here's a page from the November 2001 issue of "WWI Aero",
    > showing an old advertisement for an aeroplane wheel with
    > "suspension spokes".

    Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about (quote: ''it
    had curved metal plates disposed as spokes.'')

    It was really similar, but the wheel I had seen was on a
    very old picture of a Penny-Farthing. So in theory it
    wouldn't be a problem to propulse or brake the wheel. I
    still wonder why they didn't keep on with the
    idea...:rolleyes:

    --
    vincelemay - Quebec unicyclist
    vincelemay's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5812

  9. Johnfoss

    Johnfoss Guest

    vincelemay wrote:
    > *So in theory it wouldn't be a problem to propulse or
    > brake the wheel. I still wonder why they didn't keep on
    > with the idea...:rolleyes: *
    Imagine riding with two loose cranks, too-loose spokes, and
    your brakes rubbing all the time. That would probably be
    about as annoying as riding a wheel that wasn't absolutely
    stiff in the driving direction. You would waste energy every
    time you made a change in speed.

    Plus that airplane wheel, as pretty as it is, doe not look
    very light. Obviously if it was a good alternative, it would
    have found its way onto at least one airplane?

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
    because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,

  10. Rayden

    Rayden Guest

  11. Aust

    Aust Guest

    Thats AWESOME! it would be so cool if it worked good.

    would it not be hard to hop?!

    --
    aust - Austin Hamer

    * U N I C Y C L E R *
    * S N O W B O A R D E R *
    * P A I N T B A L L E R *
    * C A N A D I A N *
    aust's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4767

  12. So, I just now noticed that the pedals are on the wrong
    sides, unless someone took the time to swap the
    spindles.. meh. Im a bit nit picky about that, im going
    to a corner now.

    --
    Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

    BLAH!
    Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

  13. Rayden

    Rayden Guest

    aust wrote:
    > *Thats AWESOME! it would be so cool if it worked good.
    >
    > would it not be hard to hop?! *

    Why? Could be easier. Why do you think trials riders lower
    their tire pressure? To get more spring. With suspension in
    the rim you could keep your tire pressure higher because
    you'll get spring from the suspension.

    --
    Rayden
    Rayden's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/264

  14. Dforbes

    Dforbes Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > *Plus that airplane wheel, as pretty as it is, doe not
    > look very light. Obviously if it was a good alternative,
    > it would have found its way onto at least one airplane? *

    The Ackerman wheels were actually used in the J.V. Martin
    K-III "Kitten", which was powered by a 2-cylinder, 45 hp
    motor and had an empty weight of only 159 kg (350 lbs).
    Although those wheels can't have been as light as conventionally-
    spoked wheels, perhaps they were lighter than a combination
    of spoked wheels + shock-absorbers would have been? The
    wheels were incidentally part of one of the first semi-
    retractable landing gears ever used (1918). With today's
    materials it might be possible to make an Ackermann-style
    wheel that wouldn't be too heavy - but you'd still have the
    wind-up problem Klaas pointed out in an earlier post. A
    "springy" wheel would probably make a lousy suspension Muni
    - but it would be fun to try to ride, and a rider in motion
    would certainly look odd, bobbing up and down.....maybe the
    prototype had better be tested somewhere out in the desert
    away from the prying eyes of press and public.
    :) Doug

    --
    dforbes - Unicycling Newfie
    dforbes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4502

  15. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    dforbes wrote:
    > *maybe the prototype had better be tested somewhere out in
    > the desert*

    Something for our new comrade Kraze in Iraq?

    > -but then dforbes continued and wrote- *away from the
    > prying eyes of press and public.*

    So, no, not in Iraq.

    Klaas Bil

    --
    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

  16. Johnfoss

    Johnfoss Guest

    aust wrote:
    > *would it not be hard to hop?! *
    Actually I think it would be real easy and fun to hop. You
    could bounce all over the place. This would be its
    strongest point. Riding it would be the sukky part, due to
    the wind-up.

    I can't think of a way off the top of my head to eliminate
    the wind-up and still have a way for the wheel to be
    springy. I'm sure there is an engineering solution out there
    somewhere though...

    That the springy wheel was used on a 350 lb airplane
    attests to its lightness. In those days of course, most
    airplanes did not have suspension systems so that was
    probably a nice feature.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
    because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,

  17. Rayden

    Rayden Guest

  18. Rayden

    Rayden Guest

    This is the idea someone else and I came up with. Basically
    the same idea as the first, with 6 hingest, 3 on the hub, 3
    on the rim. But add a 4th shock which would be one piece
    with the hub and hinged at the rim. It would not contribute
    any spring to the compression. It would have no spring, no
    dampening. This is to prevent uneven compression. I believe
    this would allow for suspension inside the wheel, but would
    also keep the hub rotationally rigid to the rim. Let me know
    what you guys think.

    '2D drawing someone else made'
    (http://www.angelfire.com/un/qotd/rim.jpg)

    +-------------------------------------------------------
    ---------+
    | Attachment filename: prototype1sm.jpg |
    http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/210966| +-------------------------------------------------------
    ---------+

    --
    Rayden
    Rayden's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/264

  19. Rayden

    Rayden Guest

    Another render with the telescoping piece of metal modeled a
    little differently. You all realize it would be free to
    slide. It would just be a strong telescoping piece. ALL of
    the rotational torque would be sent through this piece and
    NOT through the actual shocks.

    | Attachment filename: prototype1telescope.jpg |
    http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/210970| +-------------------------------------------------------