Suspension MUni

I'm thinking if some one designed a slow-rise suspension
peddle and a suspension seatpost, you could just put both of
those on any unicycle and turn it into a full suspension. I
know it wouldn't take any preasure of the wheel put it would
take preasure off your ankles and back. I don't know that's
just my Idea.

--
Mike_Foote - Violinist and Unicyclist

Long live unicycling
Mike_Foote's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6204

As long as the suspension is directly linked to transmitting
power from the pedals to the wheel you will have problems.
Stiffening it up so it doesn't affect pedaling is not the
answer I think.

I don't know if its possible. It would be awesome to have
suspension for your feet though. :)

--
Rayden
Rayden's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/264

I think it'd be interesting to do big drops on a MUni with
"suspokesion", it'd kinda turn into a kangaroo wheel upon
impact. Assuming you were aiming for a "correct" rolling
landing it'd make it a bit harder to pedal at first (which
isn't -necessarily- a bad thing) and then moments later when
the hub was on its way back up to the center of the wheel
it'd (I think) become easier to pedal. It'd take a bit of
getting used to but it'd be cool!

I'm thinking a 3 pronged suspension unit (like in the 3d
models at the start of this thread) with only 2 of the 3
having hinges between the hub and the rockshox would work in
terms of a "beautiful suspension action". I was thinkin some
sort of ball in socket joint for a hub would be interesting
(if only slightly impossible)...

If anyone's got any more brilliant ideas or things to add
about suspension MUnis, please post them up and I'll have a
go at incorporating them into another 3dmodel, that way we
all get to stare in wonder at them without havin to go
through the hassle of actually making them. :p

By the way, a few people have been asking about this, the
answer is I've been using Lightwave3D 7.5c (www.newtek.com)
for the models, it really is the complete package in terms
of "out of the box" bang for your buck. I highly recommend
it to anyone wanting to get into 3d modelling or 3d
animation.

cheers Pete

--
pete66 - Level 4 Unicyclist
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

Here's a page from the November 2001 issue of "WWI Aero",
showing an old advertisement for an aeroplane wheel with
"suspension spokes". I copied the picture to a fairly large
size so as to not lose too much detail. Any ideas here
someone could borrow for a suspension Muni??

Doug

[image: P:\wheel.jpg]

--
dforbes - Unicycling Newfie
dforbes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4502

Jeez - including the picture would have been
useful.....sorry!!

D.

+-------------------------------------------------------
---------+
| Attachment filename: wheel.jpg |
http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/210672| +-------------------------------------------------------
---------+

--

dforbes wrote:
> *Here's a page from the November 2001 issue of "WWI Aero"
> *

Being under an aeroplane, these wheels won't have to
transmit driving forces, and probably no braking forces
through the hub either. That makes it easier to have
spokesuspension. If you would drive (or brake) the hub, the
suspenspokes would probably wind up significantly before
much torque were transmitted to the rim.

Klaas Bil

--
Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

Klaas,

That's an excellent point about the wheels winding up under
a driving/braking torque. It would be interesting to try
building such a wheel to see how you could minimize the "wind-
up" problem, without sacrificing all of the suspension
travel - seems like there could be an acceptable compromise
somewhere. A certain degree of "wind-up" under torque,
together with the springiness of the suspension would
certainly add to the challenge of riding, wouldn't it!

Doug

--
dforbes - Unicycling Newfie
dforbes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4502

Originally posted by dforbes
> Here's a page from the November 2001 issue of "WWI Aero",
> showing an old advertisement for an aeroplane wheel with
> "suspension spokes".

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about (quote: ''it
had curved metal plates disposed as spokes.'')

It was really similar, but the wheel I had seen was on a
very old picture of a Penny-Farthing. So in theory it
wouldn't be a problem to propulse or brake the wheel. I
still wonder why they didn't keep on with the
idea...:rolleyes:

--
vincelemay - Quebec unicyclist
vincelemay's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5812

vincelemay wrote:
> *So in theory it wouldn't be a problem to propulse or
> brake the wheel. I still wonder why they didn't keep on
> with the idea...:rolleyes: *
Imagine riding with two loose cranks, too-loose spokes, and
your brakes rubbing all the time. That would probably be
about as annoying as riding a wheel that wasn't absolutely
stiff in the driving direction. You would waste energy every
time you made a change in speed.

Plus that airplane wheel, as pretty as it is, doe not look
very light. Obviously if it was a good alternative, it would
have found its way onto at least one airplane?

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,

aust wrote:
> *Thats AWESOME! it would be so cool if it worked good.
>
> would it not be hard to hop?! *

Why? Could be easier. Why do you think trials riders lower
their tire pressure? To get more spring. With suspension in
the rim you could keep your tire pressure higher because
you'll get spring from the suspension.

--

johnfoss wrote:
> *Plus that airplane wheel, as pretty as it is, doe not
> look very light. Obviously if it was a good alternative,
> it would have found its way onto at least one airplane? *

The Ackerman wheels were actually used in the J.V. Martin
K-III "Kitten", which was powered by a 2-cylinder, 45 hp
motor and had an empty weight of only 159 kg (350 lbs).
Although those wheels can't have been as light as conventionally-
spoked wheels, perhaps they were lighter than a combination
of spoked wheels + shock-absorbers would have been? The
wheels were incidentally part of one of the first semi-
retractable landing gears ever used (1918). With today's
materials it might be possible to make an Ackermann-style
wheel that wouldn't be too heavy - but you'd still have the
wind-up problem Klaas pointed out in an earlier post. A
"springy" wheel would probably make a lousy suspension Muni
- but it would be fun to try to ride, and a rider in motion
would certainly look odd, bobbing up and down.....maybe the
prototype had better be tested somewhere out in the desert
away from the prying eyes of press and public.
:) Doug

--

dforbes wrote:
> *maybe the prototype had better be tested somewhere out in
> the desert*

Something for our new comrade Kraze in Iraq?

> -but then dforbes continued and wrote- *away from the
> prying eyes of press and public.*

So, no, not in Iraq.

Klaas Bil

--

aust wrote:
> *would it not be hard to hop?! *
Actually I think it would be real easy and fun to hop. You
could bounce all over the place. This would be its
strongest point. Riding it would be the sukky part, due to
the wind-up.

I can't think of a way off the top of my head to eliminate
the wind-up and still have a way for the wheel to be
springy. I'm sure there is an engineering solution out there
somewhere though...

That the springy wheel was used on a 350 lb airplane
attests to its lightness. In those days of course, most
airplanes did not have suspension systems so that was
probably a nice feature.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,

This is the idea someone else and I came up with. Basically
the same idea as the first, with 6 hingest, 3 on the hub, 3
on the rim. But add a 4th shock which would be one piece
with the hub and hinged at the rim. It would not contribute
any spring to the compression. It would have no spring, no
dampening. This is to prevent uneven compression. I believe
this would allow for suspension inside the wheel, but would
also keep the hub rotationally rigid to the rim. Let me know
what you guys think.

'2D drawing someone else made'
(http://www.angelfire.com/un/qotd/rim.jpg)

+-------------------------------------------------------
---------+
| Attachment filename: prototype1sm.jpg |
http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/210966| +-------------------------------------------------------
---------+

--
Rayden
Rayden's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/264

Another render with the telescoping piece of metal modeled a
little differently. You all realize it would be free to
slide. It would just be a strong telescoping piece. ALL of
the rotational torque would be sent through this piece and
NOT through the actual shocks.

| Attachment filename: prototype1telescope.jpg |
http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/210970| +-------------------------------------------------------