DaveB said:The search has started for my new commuter bike for my 40th birthday
present to myself. The budget is $400-500 (although that CELL SS101 with
the hub gears at $750 is looking nice). My commute is very hilly and
I've always done it on a rigid fork.
Around that price you're looking at real budget hybrids or so-so mountain
bikes. If you can stretch to $600 you move into what I consider the low
end of decent commuters - things like the Kona Dew, Norco VFR or Giant
CRX. They tend to be 8/9 speed but with OK wheels, decent frames, and
reasonable rigid forks, not the drain pipes on K-mart specials.
I'm assuming here that when you say hybrid you're after something like a
flat bar roadie, possibly fairly upright. If the default position on those
bikes is too low it's easily adjusted with a new stem, and can probably be
done at time of purchase for little to no cost. I know that I flipped the
stem on my Dr Dew because I preferred the longer/lower setup, and it could
still be a touch longer.
Anyway, so long as the fork has a little give in it it should be fine for
commuting - mine has a steel fork that I've taken down firetrails far too
fast for comfort but still mostly in control (32mm tyres @ 80psi don't
have the same cush or grip as ~50mm tyres @ 30psi, strangely enough). At
the cheap end suspension forks are better than they used to be, but still
fairly heavy and not that useful on road. A decent rigid is also more
efficient.
--
Dave Hughes | [email hidden]
Oh, loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix.
- Comic Book Guy