Suspension Posts

lidzau

Mar 29, 2003
Developing on the discussion on comfortable saddles, does anyone have views or recommendations on suspension seat posts? I do long distance touring and am looking for ideas that can relieve "numb bum":)

Cane Creek Thudbuster parallelogram seatpost highly recommended, but heavy and expensive. Most movement on a bike is pitch, not elevation... this takes it away.

The complication is that your reach varies, but you can use this to your advantage to get your weight back when descending, without having a saddle suppository (relevant on UK 'roads'). Advantage over other seat posts, apart from complete lack of stiction... your saddle height doesn't vary nearly as much.

http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/

More importsant than having a suspension post is to ensure you have the correct saddle. To get the correct saddle may be a long and arduous process. Also make sure your saddle is set up properly for you. The problem with the suspension post is that your seat is never in the right palce. If you stand up the saddle rises and you have to compensate for this when you sit down.

Keep thse wheels spinning!!!

Big H

I have a Klein Quantum II road bike which may be the stiffest, most uncomfortable ride in existence. After a lot of research, I finally got a U.S.E. seat post. But after using it for a couple of seasons, I honestly don't think the thing provides much suspension. Add to that the fact that it's as heavy as a boat anchor, has the world's worst seat clamp and costs a lot, and it's pretty obvious I wouldn't recommend it.

I have a Klein hardtail, which is ultra-stiff too. Accelerates like a missile, but is Very rigid.

I immediately installed a USE XCR (spring/elastomer) suspension seatpost. It's the lightest post out there, but the RockShox is good too.

You certainly don't get much action from these posts, but I wouldn't go back to the Thompson Elite!

There are cheaper posts out there that give you more spring action, but are much heavier.

Take big_h's advice and make sure you have the right saddle too.