Suspension seat post = sore feet?

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 21 Oct 2007 04:05:46 -0000
John Pitts <[email protected]> wrote:

> Some 'bents seem to place the rider's arms very high, a bit like a
> "chopper". Speaking as one who has never ridden one, only looked at the
> pictures, it seems to me that your arms would get tired, being elevated
> like that. What are your thoughts Zebee?

Depends...

my arms are held forward, elbows at about nipple height, hands in
neutral wrist position thumbs up. It's very comfortable, usually my
fingers are draped over the bar end shifters, the whole arm relaxed.

IT's really a matter of trying it out. If you've never ridden a
chopper, the arms aren't what get tired, it's the lower back because
with your legs forward you have to either hold yourself up with your
arms, or you try and do it with (usually inadequate) core muscles.

On the bent your back is fully supported.

Some people do prefer the "hands dangling by your side" position of
underseat steering.

> You're not kidding. I just had a look at the flying furniture site. I
> can't imagine buying one without going down and trying them all out to
> see what suits.

It is worth while trying a few. I was limited because I'm short, so
very few fit me. I'm quite happy with the Giro though.

You can get onto the OzHPV mailing list and ask if there are people in
your area who would be willing to give you a try. I did, and met a
bunch of nice folk who were quite happy to let me try their bikes.
check www.ozhpv.org.au There's not a lot of variation out there, most
two wheelers seem to be ASS SWB as that's generally the fastest
configuration.

Zebee

> In aus.bicycle on Fri, 19 Oct 2007 02:45:02 -0700
> Donga <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Zebee is on a wheeled couch, if you didn't get it.

> I wanted to say "that's not a wheeled couch, *this* is a wheeled
> couch".
>
> But dammit I can't find the URL!
>
> Does anyone have the link for the guys who put wheels on a sofa and
> pedalled it across Canada?
>
> Zebee

Ah.. you might be thinking of these guys
http://www.bikeforest.com/index.php

and in particular http://www.bikeforest.com/cb/index.php
--
Flaps

On 2007-10-21, John Pitts (aka Bruce)
> On 2007-10-20, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I love the tweener bars as they put your arms in a much more relaxed
>> natural position. Hamster (where your hands are up against your chest
>> like a praying hamster) are more aero and many prefer them, but I find
>> them uncomfortable and not as secure.

> Some 'bents seem to place the rider's arms very high, a bit like a
> "chopper".

And as such, they would be illegal under Australian Road Rules which
have some dictation about handlebar height vs seat height in some lame
attempt to outlaw choppers.

--
TimC
I'm all for computer dating, but I wouldn't want one to marry my sister. --unk