Suspension seatpost

G Dickson

Guest
Does anybody use one of these (I have a hardtail) and if so, do they come recommended??

TIA

Grant

G Dickson thoughtfully penned:
> Does anybody use one of these (I have a hardtail) and if so, do they come recommended??
>
> TIA
>
> Grant

I put a Rock Schock on my hubbys harddtail bike which is a really nice bike, no reason to trade out
for a FS, and he's really happy with. Of course it's not even close to having a rear suspension, but
it smooths things out and that's all he wanted.

thanks Carla!

penny

> Does anybody use one of these (I have a hardtail) and if so, do they come recommended??
>
> TIA
>
> Grant

I tried one once on a friends bike. i didn't like the change in distance between me and the pedals
every time i hit a bump.

Though it was a cheap seatpost so it may have flawed my opinion.
--
~Travis

On Sat, 24 May 2003 09:42:20 +0100, G Dickson wrote:
> Does anybody use one of these (I have a hardtail) and if so, do they come recommended??

I have a USE. I can't say I've noticed a huge difference, but my riding buds say I'm able to stay in
the saddle on sections that are rough enough that they have to get out.

Its the lower-end version; I got it because I didn't like the idea of shims. My only complaint is
that its a pretty smooth seatpost, and has a tendency to sink into the (also smooth) seatpost-tube
on my bike. I have to stop and raise the seat at least once every ride. I probably would have been
better off with the shim, for that reason.

On Sat, 24 May 2003 16:43:55 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>RE/
>>Does anybody use one of these (I have a hardtail) and if so, do they come recommended??
>
>I'm using a ThudBuster.
>
>Haven't used it long or hard enough to comment on durability, but the comfort is
>#1.
>
>Somebody posted somewhere to the effect that sus posts were an example of over-engineering and a
>sprung saddle would do the job just as well at far lower cost.

I have both ... a budget post that comes on a GT Timberline AND a budget sprung BIG-Butt saddle
from Nashbar.

As per previous post you do have to deal with seat height changing over bumps.

Being early-50s and a bit on the chubby side ... i find the combo makes riding more comfortable and
thus gets me out more or lets me ride another 5-10 miles before discomfort (vs "out of gas")
suggests quitting for the day.

- jim

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 24 May 2003 09:42:20 +0100, G Dickson wrote:
> > Does anybody use one of these (I have a hardtail) and if so, do they
come
> > recommended??
>
> I have a USE. I can't say I've noticed a huge difference, but my riding buds say I'm able to stay
> in the saddle on sections that are rough enough that they have to get out.
>
> Its the lower-end version; I got it because I didn't like the idea of shims. My only complaint is
> that its a pretty smooth seatpost, and has a tendency to sink into the (also smooth) seatpost-tube
> on my bike. I have to stop and raise the seat at least once every ride. I probably would have been
> better off with the shim, for that reason.

I have a USE Alien on my rigid SS, and love it. When I first started riding that bike fully rigid, I
actually missed the suspension seatpost that I had on my hardtail more than the sus. forks! So I
moved it to the SS and there it stays.

A sus. seatpost is nothing comparable to a fs bike, but it cuts the bumps and chop, so it is easier
on the back and the backside than a rigid post.

The USE and the RockShox are similar in design - they telescsope up and down rather than move
fore and aft, like the Thudbuster, to attain travel. The up and down movement will change the
seat height, but I never notice it. And - if this is important to you - the telescoping posts
are lighter.

As far as slipping, the shim that is required for the Alien doesn't fix that problem. As I mentioned
in another thread, what I do to keep the post in place is to fasten a hose clamp onto the post at
the point where is meets the seat tube clamp. The combination of the forces of the two clamps keeps
the post from slipping. Not pretty, but utilitarian.

> "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Sat, 24 May 2003 09:42:20 +0100, G Dickson wrote:
> > > Does anybody use one of these (I have a hardtail) and if so, do they
> come
> > > recommended??
> >
> > I have a USE. I can't say I've noticed a huge difference, but my riding buds say I'm able to
> > stay in the saddle on sections that are rough enough that they have to get out.
> >
> > Its the lower-end version; I got it because I didn't like the idea of shims. My only complaint
> > is that its a pretty smooth seatpost, and has a tendency to sink into the (also smooth)
> > seatpost-tube on my bike. I have to stop and raise the seat at least once every ride. I probably
> > would have been better off with the shim, for that reason.
>
> I have a USE Alien on my rigid SS, and love it. When I first started riding that bike fully rigid,
> I actually missed the suspension seatpost that I had on my hardtail more than the sus. forks! So I
> moved it to the SS and there it stays.
>
> A sus. seatpost is nothing comparable to a fs bike, but it cuts the bumps and chop, so it is
> easier on the back and the backside than a rigid post.
>
> The USE and the RockShox are similar in design - they telescsope up and down rather than move fore
> and aft, like the Thudbuster, to attain travel. The up and down movement will change the seat
> height, but I never notice it. And - if this is important to you - the telescoping posts are
> lighter.
>
> As far as slipping, the shim that is required for the Alien doesn't fix that problem. As I
> mentioned in another thread, what I do to keep the post in place is to fasten a hose clamp onto
> the post at the point where is meets the seat tube clamp. The combination of the forces of the two
> clamps keeps the post from slipping. Not pretty, but utilitarian.

what about taking a sharp axe head in hand and pounding a few burrs into the post where you
have it set?

Or, if you have a pipe cutter, of the clamp and rotate around variety, then clamp it just snug
enough to not cut, but to make a slight groove (too deep and it will weaken the post). make several
of these spaced a little bit apart.

Got that idea after looking at the spare Thomson seatpost i have.
--
~Travis

Technician thoughtfully penned:

>> Penny S. wrote:
>>> ClydesdaleMTB thoughtfully penned:
>>> you really do need to post a warning with that one...
>>
>> And what fun/fun.php would THAT be?
>>

> I see her point though, what if one of her kids were watching. even a slight warning would have
> been better than none at all.

teen boys, they have thier own computer...

P.

> Technician thoughtfully penned:

> >> And what fun/fun.php would THAT be?
> >>

> > I see her point though, what if one of her kids were watching. even a slight warning would have
> > been better than none at all.
>
> teen boys, they have thier own computer...
>
> P.

you have teens??? i guess i had you pegged wrong. i would have guessed 20's, maybe early 30's with
small children. just goes to show how much we all really know about each other.
--
~Travis

Technician thoughtfully penned:
>> Technician thoughtfully penned:
>>> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

>>> I see her point though, what if one of her kids were watching. even a slight warning would have
>>> been better than none at all.
>>
>> teen boys, they have thier own computer...
>>
>> P.
>>

> you have teens??? i guess i had you pegged wrong. i would have guessed 20's, maybe early 30's with
> small children. just goes to show how much we all really know about each other.

hahaha.... I'll take that as a compliment. I am most like old enought to be your mother, and I have
two teenagers, been married 20+ years. Just put me in the "old age and treachery will win over youth
and ?????" category.

Penny

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 24 May 2003 09:42:20 +0100, G Dickson wrote:
> > Does anybody use one of these (I have a hardtail) and if so, do they
come
> > recommended??
>
> I have a USE. I can't say I've noticed a huge difference, but my riding buds say I'm able to stay
> in the saddle on sections that are rough enough that they have to get out.
>
> Its the lower-end version; I got it because I didn't like the idea of shims. My only complaint is
> that its a pretty smooth seatpost, and has a tendency to sink into the (also smooth) seatpost-tube
> on my bike. I have to stop and raise the seat at least once every ride. I probably would have been
> better off with the shim, for that reason.

My shimmed USE used to sink too. I degreased the post and shim and only put grease on the inside of
the seat tube. I figured if the shim fused to the post at least I could get it out of the frame and
loosen it up by spreading it open. However that never happened and the post stopped slipping. Of
course I've graduated from the post with it's .75 in travel, to four inches of travel and now
eight. ;^)

Mike - never enough!

Stephen Baker thoughtfully penned:
> Penny says:
>
>> you really do need to post a warning with that one...
>

> posted. I guess you missed that one.....;-(
>
> Steve

that was a joke. Do you seriously think I missed that? I just know better than to comment on it.

Penny

RE/
>As per previous post you do have to deal with seat height changing over bumps.

That's one strength of the ThudBuster. Distance to the pedals stays the same as it's parallelogram
thing flexes. You move back, but not up/down.

Took me awhile to realize that I had to move the saddle about a half-inch forward when using it - to
compensate for the preload. Before that, I kept thinking there was something else going on that made
my bars feel further forward than usual.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

[email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Penny says:
>
> >you really do need to post a warning with that one...
>

> guess you missed that one.....;-(
>
> Steve

It got me. I was sitting out in the open at the Public Library with this big flat screen, the kids
moseying somewhere, when I opened it up. I shoulda had a Chester (Tr****?) Moustache and a raincoat
going for that one.

Paladin

Technician wrote:

>>Penny S. wrote:
>>
>>>ClydesdaleMTB thoughtfully penned:

>>>you really do need to post a warning with that one...
>>
>>And what fun/fun.php would THAT be?
>>

> I see her point though, what if one of her kids were watching. even a slight warning would have
> been better than none at all.

Considering it came DIRECTLY from a simultaneous active thread, I htought it unnescerrasy...
hinsight is always 20/15