Suspension seatpost

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by G Dickson, May 24, 2003.

  1. G Dickson

    G Dickson Guest

    Does anybody use one of these (I have a hardtail) and if so, do they come recommended??

    TIA

    Grant

    Tags:

  2. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Ahhh, JD, answer please?!? :)

    --
    - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

    "G Dickson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anybody use one of these (I have a hardtail) and if so, do they come recommended??
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Grant

  3. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    G Dickson thoughtfully penned:
    > Does anybody use one of these (I have a hardtail) and if so, do they come recommended??
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Grant

    I put a Rock Schock on my hubbys harddtail bike which is a really nice bike, no reason to trade out
    for a FS, and he's really happy with. Of course it's not even close to having a rear suspension, but
    it smooths things out and that's all he wanted.

    thanks Carla!

    penny

  4. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Does anybody use one of these (I have a hardtail) and if so, do they come recommended??
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Grant

    I tried one once on a friends bike. i didn't like the change in distance between me and the pedals
    every time i hit a bump.

    Though it was a cheap seatpost so it may have flawed my opinion.
    --
    ~Travis

  5. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

  6. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sat, 24 May 2003 09:42:20 +0100, G Dickson wrote:
    > Does anybody use one of these (I have a hardtail) and if so, do they come recommended??

    I have a USE. I can't say I've noticed a huge difference, but my riding buds say I'm able to stay in
    the saddle on sections that are rough enough that they have to get out.

    Its the lower-end version; I got it because I didn't like the idea of shims. My only complaint is
    that its a pretty smooth seatpost, and has a tendency to sink into the (also smooth) seatpost-tube
    on my bike. I have to stop and raise the seat at least once every ride. I probably would have been
    better off with the shim, for that reason.

  7. Jeb

    Jeb Guest

    On Sat, 24 May 2003 16:43:55 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >RE/
    >>Does anybody use one of these (I have a hardtail) and if so, do they come recommended??
    >
    >I'm using a ThudBuster.
    >
    >Haven't used it long or hard enough to comment on durability, but the comfort is
    >#1.
    >
    >Somebody posted somewhere to the effect that sus posts were an example of over-engineering and a
    >sprung saddle would do the job just as well at far lower cost.

    I have both ... a budget post that comes on a GT Timberline AND a budget sprung BIG-Butt saddle
    from Nashbar.

    As per previous post you do have to deal with seat height changing over bumps.

    Being early-50s and a bit on the chubby side ... i find the combo makes riding more comfortable and
    thus gets me out more or lets me ride another 5-10 miles before discomfort (vs "out of gas")
    suggests quitting for the day.

    - jim

  8. Doug Taylor

    Doug Taylor Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 24 May 2003 09:42:20 +0100, G Dickson wrote:
    > > Does anybody use one of these (I have a hardtail) and if so, do they
    come
    > > recommended??
    >
    > I have a USE. I can't say I've noticed a huge difference, but my riding buds say I'm able to stay
    > in the saddle on sections that are rough enough that they have to get out.
    >
    > Its the lower-end version; I got it because I didn't like the idea of shims. My only complaint is
    > that its a pretty smooth seatpost, and has a tendency to sink into the (also smooth) seatpost-tube
    > on my bike. I have to stop and raise the seat at least once every ride. I probably would have been
    > better off with the shim, for that reason.

    I have a USE Alien on my rigid SS, and love it. When I first started riding that bike fully rigid, I
    actually missed the suspension seatpost that I had on my hardtail more than the sus. forks! So I
    moved it to the SS and there it stays.

    A sus. seatpost is nothing comparable to a fs bike, but it cuts the bumps and chop, so it is easier
    on the back and the backside than a rigid post.

    The USE and the RockShox are similar in design - they telescsope up and down rather than move
    fore and aft, like the Thudbuster, to attain travel. The up and down movement will change the
    seat height, but I never notice it. And - if this is important to you - the telescoping posts
    are lighter.

    As far as slipping, the shim that is required for the Alien doesn't fix that problem. As I mentioned
    in another thread, what I do to keep the post in place is to fasten a hose clamp onto the post at
    the point where is meets the seat tube clamp. The combination of the forces of the two clamps keeps
    the post from slipping. Not pretty, but utilitarian.

  9. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Sat, 24 May 2003 09:42:20 +0100, G Dickson wrote:
    > > > Does anybody use one of these (I have a hardtail) and if so, do they
    > come
    > > > recommended??
    > >
    > > I have a USE. I can't say I've noticed a huge difference, but my riding buds say I'm able to
    > > stay in the saddle on sections that are rough enough that they have to get out.
    > >
    > > Its the lower-end version; I got it because I didn't like the idea of shims. My only complaint
    > > is that its a pretty smooth seatpost, and has a tendency to sink into the (also smooth)
    > > seatpost-tube on my bike. I have to stop and raise the seat at least once every ride. I probably
    > > would have been better off with the shim, for that reason.
    >
    > I have a USE Alien on my rigid SS, and love it. When I first started riding that bike fully rigid,
    > I actually missed the suspension seatpost that I had on my hardtail more than the sus. forks! So I
    > moved it to the SS and there it stays.
    >
    > A sus. seatpost is nothing comparable to a fs bike, but it cuts the bumps and chop, so it is
    > easier on the back and the backside than a rigid post.
    >
    > The USE and the RockShox are similar in design - they telescsope up and down rather than move fore
    > and aft, like the Thudbuster, to attain travel. The up and down movement will change the seat
    > height, but I never notice it. And - if this is important to you - the telescoping posts are
    > lighter.
    >
    > As far as slipping, the shim that is required for the Alien doesn't fix that problem. As I
    > mentioned in another thread, what I do to keep the post in place is to fasten a hose clamp onto
    > the post at the point where is meets the seat tube clamp. The combination of the forces of the two
    > clamps keeps the post from slipping. Not pretty, but utilitarian.

    what about taking a sharp axe head in hand and pounding a few burrs into the post where you
    have it set?

    Or, if you have a pipe cutter, of the clamp and rotate around variety, then clamp it just snug
    enough to not cut, but to make a slight groove (too deep and it will weaken the post). make several
    of these spaced a little bit apart.

    Got that idea after looking at the spare Thomson seatpost i have.
    --
    ~Travis

  10. Technician

    Technician Guest

  11. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Technician thoughtfully penned:

    >> Penny S. wrote:
    >>> ClydesdaleMTB thoughtfully penned:
    >>> you really do need to post a warning with that one...
    >>
    >> And what fun/fun.php would THAT be?
    >>

    > I see her point though, what if one of her kids were watching. even a slight warning would have
    > been better than none at all.

    teen boys, they have thier own computer...

    P.

  12. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Technician thoughtfully penned:

    > >> And what fun/fun.php would THAT be?
    > >>

    > > I see her point though, what if one of her kids were watching. even a slight warning would have
    > > been better than none at all.
    >
    > teen boys, they have thier own computer...
    >
    > P.

    you have teens??? i guess i had you pegged wrong. i would have guessed 20's, maybe early 30's with
    small children. just goes to show how much we all really know about each other.
    --
    ~Travis

  13. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Technician thoughtfully penned:
    >> Technician thoughtfully penned:
    >>> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >>> I see her point though, what if one of her kids were watching. even a slight warning would have
    >>> been better than none at all.
    >>
    >> teen boys, they have thier own computer...
    >>
    >> P.
    >>

    > you have teens??? i guess i had you pegged wrong. i would have guessed 20's, maybe early 30's with
    > small children. just goes to show how much we all really know about each other.

    hahaha.... I'll take that as a compliment. I am most like old enought to be your mother, and I have
    two teenagers, been married 20+ years. Just put me in the "old age and treachery will win over youth
    and ?????" category.

    Penny

  14. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 24 May 2003 09:42:20 +0100, G Dickson wrote:
    > > Does anybody use one of these (I have a hardtail) and if so, do they
    come
    > > recommended??
    >
    > I have a USE. I can't say I've noticed a huge difference, but my riding buds say I'm able to stay
    > in the saddle on sections that are rough enough that they have to get out.
    >
    > Its the lower-end version; I got it because I didn't like the idea of shims. My only complaint is
    > that its a pretty smooth seatpost, and has a tendency to sink into the (also smooth) seatpost-tube
    > on my bike. I have to stop and raise the seat at least once every ride. I probably would have been
    > better off with the shim, for that reason.

    My shimmed USE used to sink too. I degreased the post and shim and only put grease on the inside of
    the seat tube. I figured if the shim fused to the post at least I could get it out of the frame and
    loosen it up by spreading it open. However that never happened and the post stopped slipping. Of
    course I've graduated from the post with it's .75 in travel, to four inches of travel and now
    eight. ;^)

    Mike - never enough!

  15. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Stephen Baker thoughtfully penned:
    > Penny says:
    >
    >> you really do need to post a warning with that one...
    >

    > posted. I guess you missed that one.....;-(
    >
    > Steve

    that was a joke. Do you seriously think I missed that? I just know better than to comment on it.

    Penny

  16. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >As per previous post you do have to deal with seat height changing over bumps.

    That's one strength of the ThudBuster. Distance to the pedals stays the same as it's parallelogram
    thing flexes. You move back, but not up/down.

    Took me awhile to realize that I had to move the saddle about a half-inch forward when using it - to
    compensate for the preload. Before that, I kept thinking there was something else going on that made
    my bars feel further forward than usual.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  17. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    [email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Penny says:
    >
    > >you really do need to post a warning with that one...
    >

    > guess you missed that one.....;-(
    >
    > Steve

    It got me. I was sitting out in the open at the Public Library with this big flat screen, the kids
    moseying somewhere, when I opened it up. I shoulda had a Chester (Tr****?) Moustache and a raincoat
    going for that one.

    Paladin

  18. Technician wrote:

    >>Penny S. wrote:
    >>
    >>>ClydesdaleMTB thoughtfully penned:

    >>>you really do need to post a warning with that one...
    >>
    >>And what fun/fun.php would THAT be?
    >>

    > I see her point though, what if one of her kids were watching. even a slight warning would have
    > been better than none at all.

    Considering it came DIRECTLY from a simultaneous active thread, I htought it unnescerrasy...
    hinsight is always 20/15