Suspension Seatposts

tlfloyd

Mar 25, 2004
Anyone use suspension seatposts on their hardtails? Reactions? Are they worth the cost?

TIA

A mate of mine uses a USE Alien XCR on his, and he loves it. He has it set up with the stiffest elastomers so it doesn't move much, just takes the edge off the bumps. Riding rutted roads he sits a lot more than me, so I guess it works.

My only concern is durability. After about 1000km of use his developed quite a lot of play. I'm not sure if this is normal though?

I gues they are ok if you really need some relief down there or while you get the hang of riding a hardtail. Eventually you should get used to riding without one. They can be kind of annoying because your saddle height changes when you sit on them.

I use RockShox MTB Post. I ride a lot (marathon, xc racing) and it helps a lot. I've bought it because of back problems (pain) which has stopped from finishing few races. It does well as for a seatpost. It has some play, which is annoying, but helps on flat, but rough terrain, when it's good to stay seated but its impossible on a regular hardtail (roots, rocks). There are some problems with setup - when i use softer bumper it work while pedaling, wasting my energy :mad: . When i use firmer one, it sometimes expands to fast, and my ass is jumping slightly on saddle. I prefer the second setup, as 'jumps' don't happen very often, and are not dangerous and there is nearly no wasting energy. The problem is that my weight (67kg) fits both bumpers and no of them is really good.
Maybe one day i gonna cut it.

Of course, seatpost is not half as comfortable as FS, but when you dont have $$, or dont want a FS it is an option.
There's one with remote adjust on hndelbars, including locout - it may be worth checking.
Don't remember the manufacturer. Maybe Easton... dunno

Cheers
yash

I scored a Cane Creek Thudbuster last year. Love it!

I live in a very very very rocky area - in fact, 5"x5" fs is considered minimum for XC here (seriously - I'm the only local who regularly rides a ht on the hard trails). The Thudbuster allows me to keep my butt in the seat while climbing loose squirrely stuff, and as a result I now get up hills that always dissed me in th past.

Also, I push myself always, so the last hour or two of each ride I just can't stay on my feet - it's then also that I appreciate the 'buster.

It is a bit heavy, but I LOVE the down-and-back action of this unit. Mine's set up a bit squishy - I'm in-between elastomer settings, so I've drilled holes length-wise through one of the harder ones in an attempt to find that middle ground - but I've not yet installed it. Except for the situations described above, I'm usually light on or out of the seat when riding, and just keep forgetting. to install it

Originally posted by tlfloyd
Anyone use suspension seatposts on their hardtails? Reactions? Are they worth the cost?

TIA