suspension settings

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by David L, Mar 1, 2003.

  1. David L

    David L Guest

    I hope to be on the XTC in about a months time, hard to believe considering right now the wind-chill
    -36. But here the weather changes so fast, that a month or so isn't so far away for +degrees. The
    first races are scheduled for early April, and I would like to be able to understand how to adjust
    my 02' Black Elite 80/100.

    If anyone could clarify the actual use of these two dials.

    Preload adjuster, +/- ?

    Rebound damping.

    From what I understand the rebound damping is how fast the fork comes back at you after taking a
    hit. Adjusting it with more makes it come back faster to you, and less is slower?

    TIA for any input,

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "David L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I hope to be on the XTC in about a months time, hard to believe
    considering
    > right now the wind-chill -36. But here the weather changes so fast, that a month or so isn't so
    > far away for +degrees. The first races are scheduled for early April, and I would like to be able
    > to understand how to adjust
    my
    > 02' Black Elite 80/100.
    >
    > If anyone could clarify the actual use of these two dials.
    >
    > Preload adjuster, +/- ?

    Depends on how heavy your arse is. Fine tunes the fork so that it takes bumps and hits better.
    + = heavier arse. - = skinnier arse. Playing with it won't hurt. There are better ways to adjust it
    if you are either really heavy or really light. This involves replacing the internal springs in it
    with heavier or lighter springs that, surprise, surprise, handle heavier or lighter arses and
    riding style better.

    > Rebound damping.
    >
    > From what I understand the rebound damping is how fast the fork comes back at you after taking a
    > hit. Adjusting it with more makes it come back
    faster
    > to you, and less is slower?

    Yes and No. More (+) damping = slower return. Less (-) damping = faster return. Demonstration is
    more effective than description. Compress shock sharply.
    ie. bounce on the sucker. Adjust rate fully from one extreme to the other. And repeat. See? Set to
    personal preference and terrain style. Ensure that terrain (ie. root judder bars) don't
    sequentially compress shock to point of bottoming out before it can extend between hits.

    Westie