suspension settings

David L

Guest
I hope to be on the XTC in about a months time, hard to believe considering right now the wind-chill
-36. But here the weather changes so fast, that a month or so isn't so far away for +degrees. The
first races are scheduled for early April, and I would like to be able to understand how to adjust
my 02' Black Elite 80/100.

If anyone could clarify the actual use of these two dials.

Preload adjuster, +/- ?

Rebound damping.

From what I understand the rebound damping is how fast the fork comes back at you after taking a
hit. Adjusting it with more makes it come back faster to you, and less is slower?

TIA for any input,

Dave

"David L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I hope to be on the XTC in about a months time, hard to believe
considering
> right now the wind-chill -36. But here the weather changes so fast, that a month or so isn't so
> far away for +degrees. The first races are scheduled for early April, and I would like to be able
> to understand how to adjust
my
> 02' Black Elite 80/100.
>
> If anyone could clarify the actual use of these two dials.
>
> Preload adjuster, +/- ?

Depends on how heavy your **** is. Fine tunes the fork so that it takes bumps and hits better.
+ = heavier ****. - = skinnier ****. Playing with it won't hurt. There are better ways to adjust it
if you are either really heavy or really light. This involves replacing the internal springs in it
with heavier or lighter springs that, surprise, surprise, handle heavier or lighter arses and
riding style better.

> Rebound damping.
>
> From what I understand the rebound damping is how fast the fork comes back at you after taking a
> hit. Adjusting it with more makes it come back
faster
> to you, and less is slower?

Yes and No. More (+) damping = slower return. Less (-) damping = faster return. Demonstration is
more effective than description. Compress shock sharply.
ie. bounce on the sucker. Adjust rate fully from one extreme to the other. And repeat. See? Set to
personal preference and terrain style. Ensure that terrain (ie. root judder bars) don't
sequentially compress shock to point of bottoming out before it can extend between hits.

Westie