Suspension skewers vs. Titanium Skewers

Scott

Guest
What is the difference between Suspension Skewers and Titanium Skewers, and why are they advertised
differently.

I know the Ti ones are titanium and the Suspension ones are usually chromoly, but why are they NAMED
differently. Is it wrong to use Titanium skewers on a Rock Shock fork? Can I use suspension skewers
on a rigid forked road or mountain bike?

Scott

Scott wrote:
> What is the difference between Suspension Skewers and Titanium Skewers, and why are they
> advertised differently.
>
> I know the Ti ones are titanium and the Suspension ones are usually chromoly, but why are they
> NAMED differently. Is it wrong to use Titanium skewers on a Rock Shock fork? Can I use suspension
> skewers on a rigid forked road or mountain bike?
>
> Scott

Ti skewers are significantly weaker. At best, they are only recommended for the front tire of a
light rider. Given what could happen when a skewer fails, that's not a place that I would sacrifice
strength for a couple of oz's!

David

"David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Scott wrote:
> > What is the difference between Suspension Skewers and Titanium Skewers,
and
> > why are they advertised differently.
> >
> > I know the Ti ones are titanium and the Suspension ones are usually chromoly, but why are they
> > NAMED differently. Is it wrong to use
Titanium
> > skewers on a Rock Shock fork? Can I use suspension skewers on a rigid forked road or
> > mountain bike?
> >
> > Scott
> >

> Ti skewers are significantly weaker. At best, they are only recommended for the front tire of a
> light rider. Given what could happen when a skewer fails, that's not a place that I would
> sacrifice strength for a couple of oz's!

Correct and definitely not recommended for sus forks.

David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> Ti skewers are significantly weaker. At best, they are only recommended for the front tire of a
> light rider. Given what could happen when a skewer fails, that's not a place that I would
> sacrifice strength for a couple of oz's!

The weight difference between a steel skewer and a Ti skewer is not 2 ounces; it is more like
0.2 ounces.

<Scott> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> What is the difference between Suspension Skewers and
Titanium Skewers, and
> why are they advertised differently.
>
> I know the Ti ones are titanium and the Suspension ones
are usually
> chromoly, but why are they NAMED differently. Is it wrong
to use Titanium
> skewers on a Rock Shock fork? Can I use suspension
skewers on a rigid
> forked road or mountain bike?

Sure.

But you don't want to use Ti skewers with a suspension fork because Ti stretches too much, making
for a less solid fork/wheel structure. This makes your fork feel flexier and less precise. It's
probably less of a problem than it used to be because forks have gotten stiffer. But you can
sometimes improve steering precision by using the sturdiest skewer with the highest clamping force
you can find, along with a "suspension" hub with a larger clamping surface. BTW, the best skewers
are usually plain-old Shimano and Campy, not the aftermarket ones.

It's unlikely you'd break a skewer, but the steering precision issue can be significant.

Matt O.

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote in

news:[email protected]
t:

> > Ti skewers are significantly weaker. At best, they are
only recommended
> > for the front tire of a light rider. Given what could
happen when a
> > skewer fails, that's not a place that I would sacrifice
strength for a
> > couple of oz's!
>
> The weight difference between a steel skewer and a Ti
skewer is not 2 ounces;
> it is more like 0.2 ounces.

Depending on which two skewers you're comparing, it *is* more like 2 ounces. The really simple,
leverless, plain bolt skewers weigh only an ounce or so each. Shimano and Campy ones are 3-4 ounces.

Not that it matters.

Matt O.

"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in news:jP7ga.6589$FN.3649486 @news2.news.adelphia.net:
> Depending on which two skewers you're comparing, it *is* more like 2 ounces. The really
> simple, leverless, plain bolt skewers weigh only an ounce or so each. Shimano and Campy ones
> are 3-4 ounces.

Many companies sell both Ti and steel versions of the same skewers. The difference in weight between
the 2 versions is usually 10 grams or less.